Anyone tried Dr. Paint Chip? | FerrariChat

Anyone tried Dr. Paint Chip?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by CornersWell, Feb 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    www.paint-chip-repair.com

Any experience with this retail product? I want to fix a few stone chips, and I don't want to re-spray at this point. I may go with a paint guy in the end, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any comments on this.

I'll be touching up an Avus Silver RS6, so the color has to be almost dead-on. I think that'll be tough to match.

Thanks,

CW

2. sclark

sclark Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    There have been comments on the Miata forum that it doesn't work well with silver cars. I can vouch for that from personal experience. Darker colored cars work better, but it's no miracle worker. Up close it's still pretty evident, but from 5+ feet away, it looks really good.

3. BAD360

BAD360 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2004
    Albany/Colonie NY
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I have no useful info on this, but would love to see a picture of the car if you could post it =)

4. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I used Dr. Color Chip on my blue BMW M Roadster. The color match was perfect. Unfortunately, I think that it is an art to be able to fill in the chips in the car's paint -- you must add many layers of paint in each chip to bring it up to the level of the rest of the paint on the car. Then you have to buff it out. I did get my car looking good from a few feet away, but the chips were obvious up close.

5. ginsuguy

ginsuguy Karting

May 4, 2006
    Tried in on red, not totaly happy with results. At some point you just have to bite the bullet and do it professionally

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #6 CornersWell, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While mine's not among this group, here are 6 for you from a recent RS6 gathering in the Mid Atlantic. A 7th turned up later, but this will have to do...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    FYI, I went to a professional. He'll do what he can, but we're not optimistic. Silver's a biotch!

Thanks, though, for everyone's comments.

CW

8. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I've used Dr. Colorchip on my black Corvette. It does work...

It's almost invisible and great for lots of small chips.

If you want to really do it right, you need a hypodermic type needle and a very steady hand. When finished and the paint is dry, you'll need to wet sand it. I've done it this way and it's 99% imperceptible.

RMX

9. Brhill355

Brhill355 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    B.D Hill
    Recently tried it on my titanium grigio 355. No luck. But it did work great on my black audi

10. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That is a large group of some very rare cars here in the us, I think only about 800 RS6 made it here in 2003.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The real number's higher. More like 1,200 in the US. But, still, yes, they're rare, and this was one of the larger gatherings. Mine was in the shop that day for a CV Joint Boot. Typical!

CW

12. Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    I've used Torch Red, black, 56 Chevy red (looks orange to me), Wimbledon White, and Ferrari Rosso. I had good luck with color match on all of these. I tried a blue Volkswagen color as well, but the color was off, but then the car was a repaint, as were the white and the 56 Chevy.

The process worked well for me on small chips, but larger ones difficult and not always well hidden. However even when not well hidden the car looked better than just the chip(s) left alone.

I had very little luck on scratches. I just couldn't get them to fill properly.

I suggest you try it and see whether or not you like the result. The process may help you stave off repainting a panel, at least until you are ready to have a professional repaint. At the very worst you won't be out much money if it doesn't work - very little to lose by trying.

A word of advice when you go to wipe the excess paint off per instructions you will definitely want to use a smooth, low nap, cloth to prevent removing too much paint.