Will I be happy with a GranSport?? | FerrariChat

Will I be happy with a GranSport??

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rzundel, Feb 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    I have a Challenge Stradale and looking for a new daily driver to replace my Audi S4. I was looking at the Maserati GT but frankly the car felt heavy and a bit sluggish. I am currently looking at a 2006 GranSport as an option. I would like to hear from those of you that have experience with this car on whether I will be happy with this car as my daily driver?

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I have driven one. Quantum leap compared to the early F1 'box cars and the suspension is excellent. For what they are getting $$ wise lately, they are a incredible bargain.

3. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a Challenge Stradale and have used a Gransport as my daily driver for the last 5 years. It is a great car. Relatively light and very responsive. Up one size on the stock tires. Careful to start like a normal clutch car. I just turned 41K miles and no problems. Original clutch and brakes. 3rd set of tires though. Now on Bridgestone RE050 Pole Postion tires and they are great. Very fun car and don't worry about it. Park it anywhere just like a normal car. Very fun and I am very happy with it.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    If you get a good, very late one: YES!

Ciao!
    Walter

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Love the GranSports, and am watching the market very carefully for one. The GranTursimo is a stunner, but out of range for me as I am also looking for land to buy.

I too am looking forward to reading other owners thoughts on life with one of these cars.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Problems with the '05's?

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I saw one not too long ago in the mid 20's and it was really tempting....that's a serious performance bargain.

hopefully Rob will chime in w/ his experiences.

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The latest cars are the best and had received all technical updates!

Ciao!
    Walter

9. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A friend of mine has one and loves it. Its her daily. Red. Looks amazing.

10. silhouette

silhouette Karting

Dec 13, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's a great daily driver. Mine is an 06.

11. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    +1

12. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    +1

13. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I have been looking at '06 GSs as well to replace my MB E55. I would be interested on input from anyone that uses the car as a daily driver and has kid seats in the back.

14. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    Do you have a B8 S4?

If so, I wouldn't go to a GS from the S4. I DD a S4 and have driven the GS years ago and I couldn't imagine going back to that transmission...

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    All the '05 and '06 cars have the earlier Coupe bugs worked out. The F1 very solid and quick. I have 35k on original clutch and I drive the heck out of it. It likes to be driven hard in Sport mode, if you drive around out of Sport babying it so computer is constantly slipping the clutch I bet that's where you get the 15k clutch stories.

I have taken to Crescent Classic last 2 years and it hangs with 360's no problem on power. The car handles OK, but understeers not to my liking, way too soft except for around town which is 99% of the use. Has been a daily driver 12k miles a year for Jennie and me, not any problems except one replacement of motorized driver seat and then the keys are expensive and fragile.

I am about ready to spring, chip, and new wheels it. I think it is Maseratis last true "sports car". Stock exhaust is awesome, doesn't need an aftermarket there. One of the best soundsing Fiats including all the Ferraris I have been around and own. The GT is very nice and quicker F1, but power wise not a huge improvement so the car is actually slower and handles worse because of the large heavy chassis.

Ohh, back seats hold 2 adults full comfort driving in anger, I had to haul another couple in it at Crescent after they had problems in their Viper.

Plan was to upgrade from GranSport to 612 about now, but I think we're keeping it.

16. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Hey, .... I really liked that report. Would like to have one of those; not in my financial consideration set where I live though, unfortunately.

17. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thank you for posting that Rob.

Michael

18. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    Thanks everyone for some great feedback. I am excited to hear that the GS can be used as a DD. I spoke to the service advisor at my Ferrari dealer and he kind of put the fear in me. He said good car but to expect many trips to the shop. That is not what I want to do. I am spoiled by having driven all the german cars (BMW's, Porsches, Audi's) and other than maintenance, they just don't break. I am looking for something different and fun to drive. Keep the comments coming.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    my car has been to the shop 6 times in 25k miles, all oil changes.

bergxu likes this.
  20. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California

That is amazing. This gives me hope that this could be the right car for my needs. Thanks.

21. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hate to be the nay sayer, buy mine was an absolute piece of crap. The interior suffered from the stickies worse then any Ferrari. When compared to a BMW or Porsche as a DD , no compare. Maybe as a weekend or trip car, but as a DD never again.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what year was yours?

23. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf
    I can vouch for a 2005 Spyder........ no problems. Great car.

24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I did not know Masers suffered from the "sticky interior" that plagues some of the newish Ferrari's. :( Did someone use some bad interior dressing on the leather / plastic ?

Thanks if you can provide more info, details like this are important to those of us on the fence.

25. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf
    The rubberized plastic coating is used on some plastics and buttons around the information center on the center console. It is similar to that used by Ferrari and Lambo in the nineties. It is designed to give a soft feel to hard plastics. It gets sticky under certain circumstances......in very hot and humid environments......or when inappropriate cleaner or liquid is put on them....etc. www.stickynomore.com fixes these problems. I haven't seen it in Colorado, but we have a dry climate here.