Car Thieves with Your VIN#? | FerrariChat

Car Thieves with Your VIN#?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by PINNIN512, Feb 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    #1 PINNIN512, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    I just received this email and i would think a Ferrari dealership would ask more questions but still be cautious.
    I can recall several threads posters asking for vinl numbers for cars history but cannot believe theives are doing this.

What will the car thieves think of next? They peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called the Dealer and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN # and they would cut me one on the spot! I could even order the keyless device if I wanted!

The car dealer's parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN # and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local chop shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

2. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    It is good to protect yourself... Last two times I needed keys, both dealers requested that I show up with my ID and Car registration. I guess if someone wants your car bad enough, they will figure a way around teh ID and registration too.

3. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was told the same when I thought I had lost my key and was going to order an extra. This dealership knows me well but said I had to bring car registration and I.D.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is very standard that if you do not show up with the car you need proof of ownership. I have never seen a car dealer do it any other way.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Try that with a vintage 5 digit VIN at Ferrari of Houston sometime!!

ROTFLMAO!

And once when Toyota did it for my truck lock out, the key would open the door but NOT start the ignition.......sleep well!!!!!

6. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    With the VIN - I had to show ID and Car registration matching the VIN before the dealer agrees to order new keys for me.

7. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
  8. testdrv321

testdrv321 Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Newman
    We had some problems with this in NY. Dealerships will require proof to cut a key, but when one of the bad guys works at the dealership you have a problem. Needless to say, they got caught and put away for a long time. Remember, if they want your car, they can just come with a flatbed and pull it away in a few miniutes key or no key.

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    If a Thief can't get it at one dealership they just try another, or they try when someone else is working the desk. Not all employees are trained to the same level or have as much experience.

It is a lot easier to drive a car away than tow a car away.