.44 Mag. Which one would you pick? Colt v/s S&W. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

.44 Mag. Which one would you pick? Colt v/s S&W.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TcpSec, Jan 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Actually, having watched it again, you're right - his technique does seem to be awful.

The range I like to go to back in Alabama is often frequented by the city's police officers and state troopers. One of them let me shoot his personal weapon, a very heft-looking revolver (.44). They loaded two rounds for me, the first one was ok and I was just firing it to get the hang of the gun. For my second shot, I was trying to impress them with a really accurate placement on the target: "OK, taking my time... concentrating very hard on smoothness... must be accurate... don't embarrass yourself in front of the officers... just gently increase the pressure on the tri-"BOOOOM!!!

The second round was a magnum and I leapt backwards in surprise, thinking the gun had exploded in my hands. The officers had actually crept up behind me during the shot to put a hand on my back to "catch" me just after I fired - so I guess it's not the first time they've played that particular joke on someone. :eek:

If you limp wrist it, does it just not load the next round or does it jam on the spent casing as well?

All the best,
    Andrew.

2. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    It would take King Kong, with help from Godzilla, to fire full .600 Nitro Express from a TC and not have it fly away. It is a very hard-to-control round in a 12 pound double rifle!

A .600 barrel in a TC is an exercise on futility unless you use severely reduced loads. BTW, last time I looked, loaded cartridges were about $100 a pop.

3. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Depends on how limp you wrist it. Either one is possible.

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You are the only person besides Wax that makes less sense than I do.

A full size brown moves 1.8x faster than the best human does. That' a sprint. Ignore all the talk about your toothless friends/imaginary lovers, ninja/samurai illusory greatness...

....and my point is the same. It doesn't matter how big your gun is. It doesn't matter how many ninja classes you attended. The only thing that matters is if your friend is carrying a 375 H&H Mag and can he use it.

5. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Because of the lack of mass, a 4" .44mag is going to be uncomfortable to shoot. I realize if you're being charged, comfort is not an issue, but when it comes to practice, you may avoid shooting it as much as you should because of it's "energy." I have 2 Smiths and some Rugers. Out in "the field," I'd say I like the robustness of the Ruger, better.

I have a scoped Redhawk w/ a Leopold. Yeah, it's heavy, but it's a real pleasure to shoot. I also use a shoulder rig for it. Black Russian boar hunting was never so easy.

The ONLY other gun I'd look at for bear would be the Casull.

6. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    I know that guy and he has very small hands. If he is holding my Five-Seven, his thumb can't reach the safety. But your point is well taken.

Some of these guns are so high powered they are difficult to shoot. If you try and shoot a bear and miss a vital spot, all one does is pizz off the bear. Now how do you think he/she will respond to that?

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Not in a good way forsure. I agree that a .600 is just absurd in a handgun but then again we know how it goe's and a big slap on the back too those trying it. As I mentioned previously just give me a S&W .500 with a 'hot load' hollow point. Most hunter/hiker/bear encounters happen very quickly, faster than we can react most of the time, so I do realize that there is not always something we can do.

I think the main point we are all trying to point out is do not bring a knife too a gun fight in so many words. I'm sure there are many here who have grewup hunting and well just basically have that instinct instilled within them so being in bear country is always on their mind. Myself I have never been in dangerous bear country mainly because I do not hunt anymore but I know I have that instinct, does not mean I would not or could not be a cub's dinner though.

Summarization: Expect the best but be prepared for the worst and ALWAY'S have your protection at your side.

8. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's what reduced-power loads are for. :)

9. LARRY IN L.A.

LARRY IN L.A. Karting
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2010
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Yep. I'm a shooting instructor and I agree with you.

10. LARRY IN L.A.

LARRY IN L.A. Karting
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2010
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Larry
    And the Desert Eagle is so much easier to fire than the Casull. I have a permanent mark on my shooting hand from my Freedom Arms revolver.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You need to get a magazine with a better proofreader if you're gonna make more ownership claims......

Any pics (of pics)???? ;)

12. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    He's talking about the .500 S&W, which is very different from the .50 AE.