328 Alternator Pulley Issue | FerrariChat

328 Alternator Pulley Issue

Discussion in '308/328' started by FasterIsBetter, Feb 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    #1 FasterIsBetter, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, ever since I got the '86 328 two years ago, I've had an ongoing issue with the alternator belt breaking. I bought the correct belts, and they seemed to work okay at first, but would then get chewed up and ultimately break. Last winter, I pulled the alternator and had it rebuilt, and the rebuilder said that it was having problems with the bearings and that probably caused the problem.

Well, we reinstalled the alternator last spring, and the car seemed to run fine. Then I started getting the same squealing that I had previously, before the belt would break. I put the car away in late fall and finally got around to pulling the alternator out today.

Check the pictures below. A problem? I think so. It seems this is not the right pulley for the belt, or has worn down so badly that the belt no longer sits properly. Not to mention the uneven surface and the steps in the V. No wonder it was chewing up the belt. Plus, when I pulled the pulley off the shaft, I think I found the source of the squealing -- the Woodruff key was missing, so the pulley could turn on the shaft.

So, does anyone know of a source for a properly sized pulley? Or can someone measure their 328 pulley, or provide me with a Bosch part number so I can order an new one?

Many thanks.

p.s. I did a search here and came across an interesting bit of information. I seems the prior owner of the car was also having a problem with the alternator belt breaking. I guess he didn't solve the problem. Hopefully, replacing the pulley with a properly sized one in good condition will solve the issue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Hopefully, I'll have mine out this week and then I can do that for you, unless someone here already has the info.

Richard

3. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Not so far. But I checked on line and some of the "usual suspects" list the pulley alone at over $350!! No way! I got the alternator rebuilt for less than that. I think I'm going to go back to the guy who did it for me. He had piles of parts laying all over the place for Bosch alternators. Hopefully, he will have something that will work. But knowing the dimensions of the stock pulley would be very helpful.

4. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Does anyone have a Bosch part number for the 328 alternator for a 1986 GTS?

5. santacruzn

santacruzn Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Grace
    Hi,

I got this number from the manual page 37.

Bosch 0.120.469.641
    N1 14V 37/85 Amp

Bill

6. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Thanks Bill. Yes, that is the part number for the alternator. I'm looking for a part number for the pulley. My alternator is good, I had it rebuilt last spring and it works fine. It's the pulley that's the problem, chewing up the belt. I definitely have the wrong pulley and need to get the correct one.

7. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    OP. I know you would like to have an OEM pulley. However, the exact OEM pulley is not absolutely critical to the alternator doing what it is designed to do.

A substitute could serve the purpose until you find an OEM pulley. It may require some shims to get it lined up with the drive pulley. If the shaft fitment, over-all diameter, and belt width are reasonably close you should get by. You may also have to use a substitute belt until you find an OEM pulley if you change the pulley diameter. Bigger diameter runs the alternator slower, smaller diameter runs the alternator faster. Some people use a bigger pulley for racing for less hp loss.

The alternator is designed to handle a very wide range of rpm and changes speed with each gear shift, so a small rpm variance over the rpm range is not critical.

You may also want to check a pulley manufacturer's web site and compare pulley specs.

Hope you find an OEM pulley.

DRG

8. eurogt4

eurogt4 Karting

Apr 15, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think the problem with the pulley may be the angle of the V in the pulley. The Gates polyflex belts have a different angle between the sides than the more common standard rubber belts that most older cars used. Check all the pullies and belts, the angles all need to match.

9. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Jerry,

I looked at that possibility, but the problem is the offset. The OEM pulley has a long shaft on the back and deep offset, to project the pulley itself out past the end of the alternator shaft. You can't shim a regular pulley to get the pulley out far enough to line up with the crank damper. So trying to rig something up to work like that is not possible. I may have sourced a replacement from a helpful F-Chatter, so we'll see what happens. But thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

10. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Could a machine shop turn it down a bit to smooth it and replicate the correct profile? IThat would make the O.D. a bit smaller so the alternator would turn a touch faster, but at least everything else would fit assuming the connection to the shaft where the woodruff key was missing isn't damaged.

11. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Steve. I understand the offset issue. By the looks of the belt surfaces on your pulley I can understand why the pulley destroys your belt. I hope you find an OEM spec pulley before it is time to get it back on the road. Good luck.

DRG

12. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    The Polyflex belts are not used on the alternators for the 308/328 cars, though....

13. eurogt4

eurogt4 Karting

Apr 15, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My GT4 uses polyflex for the water pump/alternator belt and the a/c belt.

14. mike308gts

mike308gts Karting

Aug 28, 2006
    Washington NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael