The Mondial--A counterpoint | FerrariChat

The Mondial--A counterpoint

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JoeZaff, Feb 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 JoeZaff, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    There is a lot of talk implying that the Mondials virtues lie in its "entry level price." While that may be true for some, I think you will find that those who own a Mondial for that purpose alone, generally have the worst examples of the breed and flip them at some point to another unsuspecting buyer.

By contrast, there is a very large contingent of Ferrari owners who can afford a more "respected" Ferrari and....drum roll please....buy a Mondial anyway because they love the car. This was true when the car was new, and is as true today. For the record, in its day, the Mondial was more expensive than its 308/328/348 brethren, yet people bought every single one that was made.

Most recently, I was at a Ferrari event and saw a Mondial that was staggering. Despite my pleadings, the owner has not joined Ferrarichat. His car is literally indistinguishable from new. Every single thing on the car is perfect and I have used his car as a template for my restorative work. To maintain a car to that level requires a serious cash outlay (ask me how I know ;) ), but he doesn't mind. He wouldn't have it any other way.

Personally, I reject the notion that because my car doesn't have the same financial worth as a Daytona that it is somehow crazy to invest in the car.

I know guys who bought some classic Ferraris and Lambos at the top of the market and are now investing significant amounts in restorative work. They know they are never getting that money back, but these cars aren't just investments they are labors of love. However, for them to spend $100K on a 300K car is somehow acceptable in the F-car world, but G&D forbid you spend a large amount on Mondial/308/328/348/355/TR restorative work--The peanut gallery would have a stroke. I have news for you folks. At the end of the day, no matter how you cut it, neither the guy with the Daytona or I are getting our investment back...So what. Its not always about money. There are other motives in life that compel people to engage in the things they love.

Perhaps I am unique in this regard, but the Mondial absolutely spoiled me to other sports cars. Recently, I began toying with the idea of getting another exotic and I have driven a bunch, but nothing that speaks to me like the Mondial (well, except for the Countach, which was a mind altering experience, but that is for another thread!).

I have owned this car a few years now. I still go to the garage almost every day to look at her. Even now, as she sits under her car cover, I will peek occasionally under her dress or run my hand over the hand fabricated fenders and smile with anticipation for spring.

Everything on the Mondial just makes sense. When you sit in the cockpit, the shifter is right where it should be, all necessary information is displayed in a large stack right in front of me, the car is small for what it is, nimble, intoxicating, loud and raw. I have yet to find another car that offers so much in the way of driving experience while still offering a nod to practicality.

I may one day buy another Ferrari, but there is just as much chance that my next car will be a Porsche, Lotus, Lambo, or something completely out of left field like a Fiat Dino Spyder or Viper. I have Ferrari running through my veins, but having driven countless Ferraris, I believe the Mondial properly captures the essence of the marque, while still offering something more--4 seats. It is a fantastic car and those who haven't driven them don't know what they don't know.

I just wish they would leave their opinions to themselves and stop clogging our section.

2. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Nicely said Joe!!!

I always liked the Mondials, they are practical as you stated, yet you get a great Ferrari at a very reasonable price.

PDG

3. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    If you look at my profile, the very first car listed under the wanted cars is a Mondial 3.2 Coupe. Love the flying C pillars on the coupe and the larger "cheese grater" side vents that somehow got lost on the t.

It's not the most expensive car on my wanted list. But it is certainly desired.

IMHO

Joe

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I will readily admit that I'm one of those people who "doesn't get it" when it comes to the Mondial. BUT, at the same time I don't understand the need to have some sort of "public reinforcement" re the purchase of one. We all like different things and there is no justification required. If you like the car, buy one; if you don't like the car, don't buy one.

5. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I never liked them...then one day, it clicked. If I had the means, I would add one to my stable...a convertible...dark gray-ish with deep red interior (saw a pic once...beautiful).

I also didn't like the GT4...that too has changed. And while I am impressed with the new Ferraris, I prefer the styling of a 308 than that of the 360, 430, 458. Now, if someone wants to give me a new one...I'll take it :) I would be tempted to buy a 550/575...or even a 599...they look pretty darn good.

Anyway, to each his own. I didn't get a 308 because it was entry level and all I could afford. I was lucky to be able to afford the Ferrari I wanted.

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 Michael B, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nicely said Joe and all.

I happen to be one of those guys that bought a Mondial because I wanted one. It sits next to a dozen other cars of mine that I bought because I wanted one of them too.

Oh sure I like 355's, 360's 550/575's, 430's and all but just as Joe says "the Mondial absolutely spoiled me to other sports cars" - those that don't get that - dont get it.

I just spent a fair amount of funds on a redo on my t coupe interior with no concern for the cars overall value. The Mondial t is my choice of Ferrari - and it shall be cared for as such.

Hey gil! Is this that gray over red cab? :) I luv Mondi's but this is one of my favorites too!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ Rookie

Feb 6, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Good post.

And it should be noted that the Mondial was chosen over these others to appear in the movie Weird Science. But seriously, as a kid that may have been the first time I saw a Mondial and I have loved them ever since.

8. Rooster_In_Ohio

Rooster_In_Ohio Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2011
    Cleveland
    Full Name:
    David
    I want to go on the record that, among the many reasons I decided to acquire my Mondial, its appearance in the movie Weird Science was NOT a factor.

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    We know...

You bought it because it was in the Lionel Ritchie Video for Dancing on the Ceiling.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XxshEdcfAM[/ame]

10. Rooster_In_Ohio

Rooster_In_Ohio Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2011
    Cleveland
    Full Name:
    David
    Rats, how did you know??!!

11. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Well, mine is waiting for me in the garage to head home with the top down after work...

(this is our season for top down, folks..)

H

12. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Drool! That's it! :)

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    That grey over red cab is absolutely stunning ... and I'm a Mondial owner (resale red)!

14. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    #14 Jayo5, Feb 15, 2011
    I make no apologies for my Mondial. I read some disparaging comments about the model on this site during the 2 years prior to my Mondial t purchase and subscribing to Ferrarichat in 2004. It was designed for the western market and was heavily featured in Hollywood in the 1980s. Perhaps those like myself who came of age at that time will forever recognize it as quintessential "Ferrari" from the media we watched.

I also remember seeing a Dino 246s in the 1990s and thinking how dated it looked next to new Ferraris. Becasue I saw the 308, Mondial, 400 and TR before seeing a 246 Dino, it was hard to appreciate the Dino in the same way as new Ferraris of the time. Now I find the Dino and most vintage models very attractive.

Before I left the states I was asked by a couple of friends why I haven't "moved up" from my first Ferrari. Not one to feel subconscious about finances, I have resolved to just smile and compliment those friends about their newer cars recognizing that they might simply see my Mondial just like I saw the Dino in the 1990s.

15. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    One more little data point for those that love the Mondial. It is one of the few Ferrari cars that was reproduced in miniature electric kids toy model. I haven't seen one in a long time, but they are highly valuable. Not many other Ferraris can claim that.

16. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #16 robertgarven, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "And it should be noted that the Mondial was chosen over these others to appear in the movie Weird Science"

Of course it was! ;)

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Actually, it probably is somehow crazy to use "invest" in the context of an '80s Mondial.

Now, a '50s Mondial...

19. sk8rpatty

sk8rpatty Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Patty H.
    When my guy bought the 360 he was thinking about selling the Mondial. I begged him not to. I love that car! We drove it down together from Vancouver to So Cal (fell in love with both him and Ferrari on that trip), we've driven the Big Sur coast twice in it. Made several wine country trips in it. Okay, now I'm getting sappy about the car. ;)

It's practical for traveling, it sounds great and just a lot of fun. I don't I care what other people think or say about it.

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I don't I care what other people think or say about it."

And that's the way it should be for any car (or any other item that you like, for that matter).

21. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    There's a 1994 movie with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. called ONLY YOU. If you've seen that and still can't appreciate the Mondial, well, then ... just get a Porsche or something.

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #22 PV Dirk, Feb 15, 2011
    Family vacation. Or better yet check out IMCDB, movie car database. Lots of entries.

23. jfrazar

jfrazar Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2004
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Frazar
    I have had a lot of sports cars top of list would be a Countach, 2 other lambos, 4 Ferraris and a slug of Porsches, and lots of Brit stuff. I purchased a Mondial 3.2 Coupe 5 months ago and love it. I was telling a buddy of mine the other day, I have not gotten excited about a car like this in a long time. I don't know why. I can't explain what it is. This is without a doubt one of the most underated cars on the market period. It sounds great, drives perfect, very usable and the AC works. The low price is just a bonus.

Joe Frazar

24. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    From another thread a few days before....

And from yeaterday ....

Don't ever give up the campaign Joe! I dig the Mondial love fest. ;)

dave

25. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dave,

I try to stay out of it, then I sit and stew a bit. As you know from many of my past threads, I want to see more of these Mondials picked up by responsible owners and maintained in a proper fashion. If there were a Mondial preservation society, I would run a strong campaign to become President!

I truly believe the Mondial is one of Ferraris greatest hits. It was a very important car to Ferrari and was a testbed for many of the technologies we take for granted today in F-cars. From adjustable shocks, anti lock brakes to rear subframes containing the engine and transmission, all these things and more started in the Mondial. Later Mondials were also noted for their fantastic nuetral handling and performance characteristics on par with their 308/328/348 bretheren while still having the capacity to seat 4. Heck, the Mondial was the car the Pope drove in when he visited Maranello!

In fact, sitting here contemplating my next exotic, there aren't any other Ferraris on my bucket list, just some I would like to have.

I am beginning to know how Dino owners must have felt in the 1980's :(

Unless an effort is made to change the Ferrari culture and view of these cars, newbies will continue to look at them simply as a stepping stone to another more "in" model. As that continues, we can look forward to more and more nice Mondials falling into disrepair and being relegated to parts cars. That would be a terrible shame.

Everyone has a passion in life. One of my passions is for these wonderful cars and it is getting harder and harder to bite my tongue and sit on the sidelines while people who have never even sat in one, regurgitate the same nonsense.

So, if Ferrarichat is to one day become the historical record for all things Ferrari related, than I am going to make sure the Mondial gets its respect. ;)