Will a 430 complement my Nissan GTR | FerrariChat

Will a 430 complement my Nissan GTR

Discussion in '360/430' started by mrhonest, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrhonest

mrhonest Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Washington DC
    Prices for the 430 are currently at a point where I can seriously consider acquiring one. I currently own a 2010 GTR that I absolutely adore, I have upgraded it with some go fast track oriented parts, currently making around 650hp on the dyno. However, I do not care that much about hp, or straight line speed. I do a lot of track days so am very much interested in cornering and handling. I am not planning on tracking the 430, if I was to get one the 430 would be the weekend canyon carver and the GTR would become even more track oriented. I have done my homework and have already read previous threads on this forum related to this subject including this one http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191954

My question to 430 owners is "How does the 430 complement your other sports cars you might own?" I am not looking for a which car is better kind of comparison, as I understand each has its unique strength and weaknesses. Any input from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

2. JS NZ

JS NZ Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2010
    Auckland, NZ
    Full Name:
    John
    No a Ferrari will compliment your datsun

3. mrhonest

mrhonest Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Washington DC
    Don't crush a man's dreams

4. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    One, your Nissan, can be your coupe, or bad weather car, for sunny days you could have an F430 or F360 Spider. I guarrantee you will get a ton of "compliments" if you pull the trigger and add a Ferrari to your collection.

Who did the work on your GTR? Been thinking of getting one, to "complement" my Ferrari. :)

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It's probably more a case of contrast than complement but "Go for it" I say!

Both totally different cars with very different driving and ownership experience. While I'm sure the GTR gets plenty of attention I think you'll find that the general public admire the passion of Ferrari that little bit more.

Be careful jumping from one to the other though - an F430 will bite with over-steer in a way that your GTR probably doesn't (even with 650 horses)!

6. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    If you do go for it I suggest buying a really good battery tender for the GTR. Most likely it will be sitting for loooong periods of time once you acquire the 430. :) Happy shopping and posts some examples you are currently looking at.

7. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    LOL

8. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    #8 Zxgarage, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    Will look like the beauty and the beast...
    and when I say beast I am not talking about performance...

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    430s aren't known for being very complimentary. They are rude and stuck up.

;)

In all seriousness, do it. There is nothing like a Ferrari, even 650hp from an overweight datsun. :D

Plus, I see you are local, and we have some great events and drives in the area that are off the radar, and not FCA or Fchat sanctioned. PM me if you are interested in more...

10. mrhonest

mrhonest Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Washington DC
    "compliment" was perhaps an unfortunate word choice, as it seems to have offended some people. How could a Ferrari possibly compliment a lowly Datsun :) As I stated in my original post not looking for a mine is better than yours glove fight.

Will 430 fullfill an additional need? My biggest fear after wanting to own a Ferrari for so long is that I will be disappointed, that the one 355 I drove all those years ago and remember vividly has been jaded by experience. Yes, I could test drive one.

11. mrhonest

mrhonest Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Washington DC
    Thank you for the response, You should try out a GTR to "complement" your Ferrari ;-) The work on my GTR was done at AAM Competition, great shop and happens to be close to where I live.

12. Epik

Epik Rookie

Apr 9, 2008
    Won't be a popular point of view around these parts but I think the GTR represents the future and Ferrari is a thing of the past. Nissan underrates while Ferrari overrates their power and Nissan works anywhere anytime whereas Ferrari wants to send two cars and a team to the track before letting a magazine put it into a comparison.

Ferrari is becoming the butt of jokes among enthusiasts who don't just drool over the prancing horse emblem.

13. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    OK, I don't really mean to be rude, but this is an absolutely ridiculous question. The GTR is over 4000# and is NOT track oriented no matter how you slice it. The 430 will destroy the GTR in cornering and handling. You should be tracking the 430, not the GTR.

Get a 430, sell the GTR and put the proceeds towards tires.

14. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is that why Rob offered to roll me in to DatsunChat for free in 3 years if I buy a lifetime Rossa subscription?

15. mrhonest

mrhonest Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Washington DC
    Am I missing something here? My read on this forum was that there were lots of real car guys here. How many track days have you done with your 430? What is the cost in terms of tires, break pads, roter wear and tear. How does the transmission hold up when pushed to the limits of it performance over and over again in a very short period of time. Having been on the track in the same session with the GTR as several 430s I can assure you that the 430 does not come anywhere close to "destroying" anything. The 430 is a beautiful car for driving on the streets IMO, as on an actual race track the paractiality, cost performance equation is not probably the best.

I will try one final time, I am not looking for a one is better than the other comparison I love Ferraris having never owned one, but rest assured I will not be drinking the Ferrari koolaid.

16. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    #16 mousecatcher, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    tons

Absolutely normal levels based on the weight of the car. Undoubtedly LESS than what the wear and tear is on a car 1000# heavier (wear of consumables is directly related to the weight of the car). That is to say, no more or less than any other sportscar (2800-3200# range) I've tracked.

Absolutely fine! If you are on 20-30 minute sessions, there are zero issues.

Having expertly driven all manner of 3000# cars and 4000# cars, I can assure you that when driven well the 430 will destroy an also well-driven GTR. Not in terms of lap time, but in terms of cornering, handling, and just plain fun factor.

The 430 is absolutely a rock solid car and not fragile or requiring excessive maintenance or other issues as I hear earlier models may suffer from. I'm very surprised that you say the cost is higher, because it's absolutely the case that consumables cost less on the 430 than on the GTR, when tracked.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #17 TheMayor, Feb 16, 2011
    Only that this is Ferrarchat, not Nissanchat.:)

You shouldn't expect to get a lot of praise of the Red Sox on the Yankees website.

But seriously, you'll find a lot of guys here who have tracked the F430 regularly without issue. There is a lot of great info to be learned.

18. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks for the laugh.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well I have just a bit of experience, and I maybe old fashioned, and old, and alone in this view but any car that is AWD and weighs close to 4000lbs is not a sports car, no matter how much power it has. So yes I'd say sell the GTR, buy a 1980's 911 (make it a track car, remove anything that is not needed for the track) and drive the 430 for fun.

20. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Buy a 355 or a 360cs instead of the 430! It's a Ferrari and I am guessing you want one! It would compliment your GTR, and give you a taste of f ownership .

21. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yup! You're old fashioned alright!

Having said that, whenever I've driven a 4WD I've always found them quite boring to drive. They hold on just too well and take something away from enthusiastic driving. Different story on the loose stuff I suppose but I haven't any experience of that.

22. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    I think an F430 would be a great addition to your garage. It's a fantastic road car which can also be tracked. Performance numbers aside, the 430 is an almost completely different experience compared to the GT-R. The feel inside the car, the engine response and sound, the balance, the chassis response, etc, all very specific. In other words, whichever car you jump in that day, you would definitely not feel like you were driving the other. That makes them good garage mates, IMO.

I can't imagine anyone driving a 430 and not enjoying it. Go for it.

23. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    #23 430man, Feb 16, 2011
    Oh goodness... first, sorry about the quality replies today. I've lurked for some time and you did catch people willing to show their backside today... but it's not the norm in my experience.

I've driven the GTR and it is an extraordinary machine. (as are basically any modern sports cars)

I understand where you are coming from EXACTLY because I have been pondering this same question for a few weeks now. And the conclusion I have come up with is that you're 100% correct. Keep the 430 as a marquise car and thrash the Japanese car.

Here's what got me thinking... One day I realized that for the costs of maintenance of an Fcar if you drive it hard, you can just about buy a new Evo outright. (that was a powerful statistic) Is an Evo as good as a 430? ... of course not. Is it 80% as good at 20% the cost... um yeah.

I've said for years that my favorite car was the one I was in. And the bottom line is seat time is far easier to get (in both money and logistics) in a Japanese car.

So, sorta like you, I'm considering a dedicated track car. And I've considered everything from a Challenge car to buying an old beater DSM to a spec Miata et al. More and more I'm thinking that an upgraded EVO or a GTR dedicated to track use sounds like a real fun toy.

(I also own a hovercraft and it does not corner near as well as a 430 but it's a fun toy too ;-)

So do I think the two cars compliment each other? Absolutely. They are not the same car obviously but they do go well together. But then I've also been looking at antique Rolls Royces lately... not because it tracks better than a 430. But because it doesn't even try.

24. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    Two more thoughts...

For all the chest beating in this thread, 95% of the blowhards couldn't drive your GTR to 80% of it's capabilities... much less a 430. Unless you as a driver are being held back by an upgraded GTR, (very unlikely) then you have enough car. -- Enjoy the 430 for the work of art it is not because it is a better hammer than a GTR.

Second, let me know how this turns out.. as I said, I'm mulling over the various possibilities myself.

25. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    No cars on your profile but yet you have a loud exhaust. Where is that noise coming from?