Car Failed Vehicle Inspection... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Car Failed Vehicle Inspection...

Discussion in '360/430' started by burner42, Feb 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #26 Rifledriver, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    I have replace many. It has never nor do I doubt it will be ever a safety issue.

It causes check engine lights.....end of story. Very common problem.

Don't make something out of it is not.

2. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #27 Markjayw, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    Well if I am contantly getting a C.E. light after many fillups, it would be an issue if I think it's just the gas tank valve issue, but it is a more critical issue. There is only one C.E. light isn't there? Never had to replace any valves on my Lexus, is Ferrari North America aware of this issue. Should be a recall IMO, as well as the gas tank float issue.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Just so we are clear, a recall is for safety issues and is mandatory. Your gas gauge not showing full isn't a safety issue. Now they did do a recall on a battery cable because it could cause a fire.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Your car is 10 years old and something broke so now it should be recalled?

Thats a good one. Maybe the auto manufacturers should just be required to put a lifetime warranty on everything. It is just so unfair there is something wrong with your ten year old car.

5. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Didn't you say that you have replaced tons of these? I am sure the one's you have replaced were not all 10 years old.

Having a check engine light come on every week or every two weeks a car gets filled up is not an issue with the cars age, it is an issue with how the car was originally produced.

Sorry I don't agree that every owner should spin by your shop and get raped $1500 to have something fixed that should never occur in the first place!

6. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Gasoline vapors are not a Safety Issue? The only reason the gas guage issue hasn't been addressed by Ferrari North America is that not enough owner's complained within the first year of ownership.

Not that big of deal to not have every bar lit after a fill up, but completely unacceptable for a $200k car.

Just had my 2007 Tahoe in for brakes and they did the wiper recall for nothing and the car is out of warranty. Was that a "safety" issue?

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Gas gauges were repaired for every single owner who complained during the warranty period.

Your car broke after ten years. Quit whining.

8. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My gauge was repaired free of charge.

9. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Why do you come on out to Washington State and "MAKE ME!"

You service Ferrari's, but don't own one, so you don't understand from our perfective. I bought the car used and was not aware of this issue, as I am sure many others don't either. What's it to you if we get something fixed that should be fixed, regardless of age? I guess you won't be able to charge the $1500 LOL.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As a matter of fact we have 2 Ferraris and a Lamborghini so I have just a modicum of understanding.

It is you that is lacking in understanding tough guy.

11. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I bet none of yours have the above problem. Got them fixed for $1500 huh. What a complete tard you are. Instead of trying to help some people with unfortunte problems with their cars you make cheap arse comments, like too bad so sad, your fault you bought a 10 year old car. Why don't you upgrade your profile so we call all see your Enzo, your F40 and your Reventon. LOL

12. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    I've worked for Ford, Land Rover, Jaguar, and Rolls-Royce. I've replaced these valves on pretty much every model of these vehicles. The only vehicles that I've heard of that had a recall on these were some early 2000's Volvo's.

It's not much of a safety issue, it's more of an emissions issue which is why it is quick to turn on the check engine light.

At certain times all fuel systems are designed to vent. However when the vehicle goes through it's self check it closes all venting valves in the EVAP system and runs the EVAP pump to pressurize the gas tank, if the pump runs longer than it should (ECM calculates this and takes into consideration how much gas is in the tank) it turns on the check engine light.These valves are designed to vent when pressure in the tank gets too high to keep the tank from blowing. Many things can cause this code such as loose or bad sealing gas cap, these valves, EVAP valve, bad EVAP pump, bad ECM, or just a plain leak somewhere.

13. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    Mark, I'll start by saying my biggest problem with Ferrari is reliability. I do think a super premium product should be more robust and frankly, I get a bit dismayed at how accepting people are of what I often consider inferior engineering. (yes part of engineering is reliability guys)

Having said the above, when you buy a low production run product (of any kind) the odds of you have a flaw like this goes up. That's baked in the cake. Any product, from computers to blenders to cars, often have components that prove less than reliable over time. (I had a Nikon that the shutter routinely went out in half the time it was rated when new.)

When you buy any product -but especially a small run product- you accept this. You're not buying a Toyota.

I'm not a 'well if you can't afford a Ferrari don't own one' Ferrarista... But at some point you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Even 10 year old Toyotas often have known issues. Don't act so shocked a 10 year of F-car does.

14. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    +100000000 ;) As Enzo said, when you buy a Ferrari, you buy an engine, the rest is for free ;)