Will I be happy with a GranSport?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Will I be happy with a GranSport??

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rzundel, Feb 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Don't forget that US cars have different software to EU cars, as emissions are measured on different drive cycles. So US cars may have slightly different fuel economy figures.

In my experience the US-version GS uses about the same amount of fuel I've been using in the Granturismo S (Auto) that I've been driving in Europe for the last couple of years, but considerably less than the MC-Shift Granturismo S, and massively less than the original 2005 QP (probably the worst gas guzzler Maser I've ever driven).

2. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Why not keep the S4? I ask because I am buying one in April.

3. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    #53 rzundel, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The S4 is an Awesome car! Just looking for something different.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    that is interesting.

so which system is more strict? or are they equally strict, but just use a different measurement system?

5. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Milage wise, I get around 18-20mpg but I try not to use it if I know I'll be sat in traffic most of the time (i.e Central London).

I've not had mine long (07 model) but in the time I've had it, its been great. The sound is intoxcating!

Rob, if you're getting new rims for yours and are looking for a new home for your old OEM rims, let me know what you're looking for $ wise.

Cheers

6. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Basically, California emissions are stricter, and they are measured on a different cycle (rpm/load). I am going to import my car to Switzerland, and I was told that Swiss authorities accept California emissions without requiring any further modifications, since CA emissions compliance is good enough to cover for EU regulations too.

7. Andrew Armitage

Andrew Armitage Karting

Oct 28, 2009
    Plainfield, IL
    Full Name:
    Andrew Armitage
    The GS has side skirts, a different interior, and a different exhaust set up.

8. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Yeah, come on, that's the 8-year old schoolboy view (no offense) :)

It's also important to mention that it has a radically revised suspension setup, 19 inch wheels, much improved brakes and specific engine and gearbox management software. The "different interior" contributes to lowering weight somewhat. A lightweight it is not, but it doesn't fare badly (it's about the same weight as a current generation BMW M3).

9. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    In addition to the above mentioned by maranello71, the GS has these over the regular 4200:

- new MSP software (Maserati Stability Program, the button next to "Sport")
    - Sound/noise protection in the wheel arches!
    - Faster gear changes for the Cambiocorsa gearbox (F1) due to better TCU
    - Uses a different stereo system ("Infotainment") and has the optional "Auditorioum 200" which includes better speakers, a sub and an amplifier (but the speakers are still low quality since they are made out of paper, not an issue for me because I prefer to listen to the exhaust music).

The GS is a whole new car compared to the 4200.

10. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    I have a

GS LE in addition to my 360.. it is my daily driver.. as everyone said.. the car offers very little problems.. once n awhile the little odd italian thing might happen when starting the car (same as 360) but honestly no issues

31k miles, clutch still ok everything else ok.. going in for the 30k mile service.. went in few very few warranty issues.. mostly minor stuff that is caused by potholes or god knows what else.. great car.. fast..exotic.. sounds awesome..

11. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I just wish I could find one that wasn't in the hands of some buy here pay here highline lot.

12. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Rick, Did you find a GS? If so, how do you like it so far?

13. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    I was wondering the same thing! Also, a quick eBay search showed six GS's all at around $40k. Did the prices go back up?!

14. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    I ended buying a new 2011 Gran Turismo S. What an amazing car! I am still a fan of the GS. Great car for the money!

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think they ever went much below $40k except high mile rough ones.

16. veloce49

veloce49 Karting

Jun 20, 2010
    Chevy Chase MD
    #66 veloce49, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    I never saw them below before now. There are two very nice examples available today, around 20-25k miles for a bit less than 40.

17. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I drove the Gran Turismo and it was slower than my BMW M3. Love the car but too slow. I would get the faster Gran Turismo S model. For a DD, its a perfect car. I would have one in a heartbeat - that or Aston Martin or Bentley.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    links?

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Gran Turismo and the S are great cars, they made them bigger and heavier without hardly any power increase though. I think the GranSport is really their last sports car, but that might have been on purpose not taking anything away from Ferrari and competing with Mercedes.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    AutoTrader seems to put the GranSports $38-45k right now for decent cars.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  22. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    that's a lot of car for $40k

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes it is, we bought ours 3 years ago as in-between step to a 612, but we're going to keep it and not get a 612. the looks are great and I think will hold over the years, performance is throw you back of seat with very seamless F1 (only drawback is understeer, but you can dial that out), car looks like sports car but two adults can comfortably fit in back unlike 911 or 612, and more importantly it is daily driver with little maintenance 30-40k+ mile clutch/chain driven.

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Rob, what do think of the GS spyder....we would use it as a second fun car that the wife can also drive and use it for weekend get aways also.. do they become too flexy and heavy with the top off??? they do seem to be a lot of car for the money...our other choice is the newer M3 vert with the DCT for the wife to drive also. the m3 would be 2-3 years newer and have cheaper repair and upkeep, but it would also cost a good $15k more....