85 308 GTS speaker replacement - door panel | FerrariChat

85 308 GTS speaker replacement - door panel

Discussion in '308/328' started by wowow, Feb 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wowow

wowow Karting

Jan 21, 2008
    #1 wowow, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have an 85 308 GTS QV and is looking to replace the door speakers. I like to know if I have to remove the entire door panel or just the lower part of the "carpet" area which includes the speaker mask and bin. If it involves taking out the entire door panel, I will need help in doing that. I have searched the forum but nothing on the QV doors ( there was one on a 79 308 GTB but the door panel looks different as the door panel is one piece rather than having a carpet cover section on the bottom thirds ).

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    If I remember correctly, the door panel is all one piece, except for the arm rest.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The whole door panel has to come off. It is one piece.

BTW, that is a 5 1/4 inch speaker

4. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Door panel is a simple removal and re-install, I've done it a few times. Do it yourself and make everything fit even better than now. Got power window boosters in here yet?

5. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I've been waiting for 3 years for a removal thread myself so i can refinish the armrest. Does anyone have step by step pictures like the ones on the 355 forum.?

6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thank you!

Could never figure out how you'd get the bolt back on after you removed the armrest. Now i see that the bolt is mounted and doesn't come off. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words..with inflation it's prolly worth two thousand by now.

7. wowow

wowow Karting

Jan 21, 2008
    The photo in that thread shows the speaker exposed without having to remove the panel. Does that mean the speaker cover is a piece by itself ?

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Those are two different cars. One is a 78 and the other is an 83-85 model

9. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    It is very easy. Just start removing screws. The arm rest first. If the arm rest hasn't been off in a while it will "peel" off. Then the door screws. Just know that you need to lift/slide the panel upwards after all the screws are out since it has clips that attach it to the top of the door, if I remember correctly. If it doesn't slide up with a little effort, you have missed a screw in the carpet area, somewhere.

George

10. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    The door panel is fairly easy to remove, the drivers door you have to pull out the mirror switch, disconnect the plug and push the wire back thru as you remove the panel.

What kind of speakers are you putting in, I need to repalce mine too

11. wowow

wowow Karting

Jan 21, 2008
    #12 wowow, Feb 23, 2011
    Guys, Thanks for the info. I will try to do it myself and hopefully won't break anything.

I have a spare set of 5-1/4MB Quart DKH113 lying around and hope that will fit. I mainly listen to news and radio while stuck in traffic. My car has custom exhaust and its too loud for any decent music anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #13 viper_driver, Feb 23, 2011
    newark_308 and Thomas Magnum like this.
  13. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Looks very nice, very clean look, but I still need a radio, maybe rear speakers on the shelf?

14. wowow

wowow Karting

Jan 21, 2008
    wow, nice and clean !

15. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    Looks like a 328

16. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Speaker grill is not a separate piece that can be removed without removing the door panel. In my opinion, there is nothing that can go wrong if you try this yourself. simply unscrew, carefully lift panel up and out. Only power mirror switch needs to be manuevered through first. Once the panel is off, you can polish the painted door surface and detail clean the edges of the leather so much easier then with it all together. Make sure the inside bottom is clear of debris that may lead to door bottom rust. There are drainage holes there for water that enters around the fixed window and the working window, so make sure those are not plugged while you're in there. When putting all the cleaned up stuff back together, you can line the arm rest up perfectly with the dash. I think it takes less time to r&r both interior door panels than it does to r&r all 4 wheels. Or approx the same. It's great to be able to do some super detailing on your own, at your own pace. Let us know how those speakers fit and sound. (No sound system for me, but I understand your reasoning)

17. fiatbrett

fiatbrett Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brett B
    A quick observation on my 1985 308 QV: I'm doing a little r&r on the door installing the window relays to speed up the windows and replace the deteriorated speakers. Anyway it turns out that my speakers are 6 1/2" and not 5 1/4". I thought they were the latter and bought replacements but too small. I guess different years came with different size door speakers?

18. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    Thanks for posting this. We are about to do the same thing- the window winders are not working right, and I thought we would do the speakers at the same time. What did you finally install? I don't know how much room there is for updated speakers, but after 34 years I am sure mine are shot.

Nuno Andrade likes this.
  19. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    looking for the same information on speakers. Are you for the window boosters?

20. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    Yes, we'll clean the old grease out of the winders, and fit the window accelerators, as long as we're in there. And replace the speakers. I can't figure out if the sudio unit in the car (a blaupunkt unit with a separate control head on a stalk) is original. There are also added speakers on that little deck behind the seats which I am certain aren't original. I don't know how much value a modern audio unit is in a 308- the engine may be loud enough that it's pointless..

308 milano likes this.
  21. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    Does anyone know what the original radio/audio unit would have been in a 1985 USA QV berlinetta? I am pretty certain I am taking mine out (Blaupunkt mentioned above) and would give it to someone if they were trying to restore their car to original- IF this unit is original. Then again, the noise level in the car may preclude listening to CDs.....LOL

22. ValentinoQV

ValentinoQV Karting

Jun 29, 2016
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Vannoy
    Nuno & Jim, I have a 1985 USA GTS QV and am looking to replace the door speakers as well. I see some people say 5 1/4" while others quote 6 1/2" for the speaker size. What would be correct for mine? What is the maximum speaker depth I can go with? Any speaker recommendations? Thanks!

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    BLACK HORSE likes this.
  24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The easiest way to accurately determine what your car needs is to pull the current speakers and grab a tape measure.