Can you remove a 308 GTSi gas tank with engine in place ? | FerrariChat

Can you remove a 308 GTSi gas tank with engine in place ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by [email protected], Oct 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    Can you remove a 308 GTSi gas tank with engine in place ?
    Another logistical question: My much-bondo'd 308 appears to have a crumpled gas tank on the passenger side of the engine, and my question is: Can this gas tank be removed without pulling the engine ? This crumpled gas tank does not leak at all, and the crumpled area probably reduced the capacity by less the 15% so it's debatable if it's even worth fiddling with, but nonetheless, if anyone has a clue how to remove it it would like to hear.

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I could tell you how to do it with a 328 which is similar but the devil is probably in the details. My 328 tank comes out with removal of some coolant plumbing and the rear passenger side brake rotor. It's a PITA.

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Just about the same for a 308.

4. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    I just RR'd the tanks on my GTS and I don't think there is a difference in the GTSi. Once you remove the A/C compressor and remove the tank straps and hoses, you should be able to sneak it out. It's tricky, and you'll need to turn the tank to get it between the brake rotor and the wheelwell lip.

If you're looking to un-crumple the tank, you may be able to do it by fitting a compressed air hose onto the crossover tube hole, sealing the others and slowly filling with air. Depending on how badly it's crumpled, the pressure may pop it back into shape. I've seen marginal success with this on motorcycle tanks and YMMV.

5. enzoferrariphil

enzoferrariphil Karting

Oct 26, 2004
    Solana Beach CA.
    Full Name:
    Philip Ponzio
    Had a leak on my 1980 308 GTSI on the drivers side.I had to remove the rear a-arms and brake components. never done passengers side.should be the same .

Phil

6. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    I have had the Pass side tank out of my '79 308GTB. Needed to remove AC, many hoses and straps. Did not need to remove brake rotor or control arm. Driverside would not come out this easily. You will need to turn the tank around and snake it out.

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I had to remove both of mine. Engine stays in. If gasoline (in any quantity) wasn't involved, it wouldn't call it a terrible job.

8. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #8 CliffBeer, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    With the left tank out, looks like a good time to change the fuel filter and change every hose in sight.