1986 Alfa 355 | FerrariChat

1986 Alfa 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by sevminasyan, Mar 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 sevminasyan, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good Evening Dear All:

As promised, I will be updating my project build of the 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 and now with a new birth certificate known as Alfa 355 thanks to a comment by another member on my previous run. Since cutting the rear end of my GTV6 and trimming the inner panels and the Ferrari rear clip, I was able to roughly install the rear of the 355 into the GTV6. Unforseen problems? Sure. The rear end sticks out a bit more than I anticipated. I guess it is what it is. Cant shorten the control arms or the axcel. Gotta work around it and modify the q-panels a bit more than originally designed. Inside is a tight fit for the driver due to the steering wheel shaft being longer on the GTV6. That should be an easy fix. Thought about putting front rotors in the back to push the wheels in a bit but that is just a thought for today. I know I have to mess with the E brake and other internal stuff around the rear hub.
    The rear is spot welded in place in couple of places to allign the axcell locations to make sure I am not driving sideways when its done but the rest of the hard core welding will be done at a friends shop for quality.
    Enjoy the pictures and feel free to post your input.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    what a monster

3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ooooh... interesting. :cool:

So this was a front-engined 2+2 and you've now ripped out the rear seats to make a 2 seater car with a 355 mid-engine? Does the car still have the original front engine to make it a dual engined car or will this area be reclaimed for storage?

It'll be fascinating to see what these sorts of modifications do to handling. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. Robo Squirrel

Robo Squirrel Karting

Mar 4, 2011
    oh....this looks like it might be truely epic :)

5. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    maybe share this with the alfabb guys?

6. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Lot's of work ahead Steve...

7. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    #7 eyboro, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    Looking forward for progress pictures, but wondering why would you spend so much time and effort into fitting an F355 engine in an Alfa?

8. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Appreciate the comments. It will have only mid engine although the idea of two engines sounds good just to throw people off. Non functioning of course. AS to why spend the time and money? I guess I had six months of free time on my hands, found a decent non running Alfa, got my hands on a burnt non repairable Ferrari and the idea went into works. Handling will be a 355 of course. All four corners are to be from the 355 including everything. This is to be my trophy car but if all works out well and people show interest in it, I may tackle the challenge again to build one off for others. There will be a long waiting for the completely finished product :)

9. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    As a former GTV6 owner and a current 355 owner I have to say...Yech. (No offense bro)

10. junglejustice

junglejustice Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    #10 junglejustice, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    Different strokes for different folks "bro" - at least now you'll have a car that can handle a curb / driveway transition of something more than a sheet of paper without causing 7,000 dollars worth of front-end / splitter / valance damage! The GTV6 is a timeless Giorgetto Giugiaro design (just don't tell the Lambo guys) and if done well, will be an amazing project! It is also very light...

I myself have toyed for years with the idea of either transferring an entire 164 cradle / frame to the rear of a GTV6 with one of our 3.7 litre 24v monster NA motors on there, or to turn the motor longitudinally (on a custom rear frame setup), with one of our twin turbo V6 24v motors back there and a G50 (or similar) box behind it!

Either way, a true mid-engined design; epic kudos for ingenuity Sev (and please keep us updated over on the AlfaBB!) ;)

11. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    You have your work cut out for you--LOL

12. iachella

iachella Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Concord, CA
    Full Name:
    Stefano Iachella
    Consider swapping the GTV6 hood for the hood of the 4 Cyl version. You won't need the ugly bump that was intended for the intake plenum of the V engine anymore and the 4 Cyl has much more sleek lines.

I'm concerned about the weight distribution, though. The GTV6 has almost perfect balance front to rear as is. A little to the front after the bigger engine went in. (the 4 Cyl had 50-50 weight distribution). With no more weight on the front, the bias will shift to the rear. Try to move things to the front, like spare wheel, battery, etc. Maybe put some strategic front weights in when everything is in place and you can weigh it.

I'm following with interest. Great project.

Stefano
    Concord, CA

13. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Already thought about the weight distribution. After all is done, will take the car to a truck scale station to see how much each wheel is showing. Have not thought about the hood. That sounds like a great idea. Thought about putting a fuel cell in the front but had to mess with bunch of lines and stuff so I kept the 355 tank in place. BAttery will be in the front for sure and so will the spare tire. May have to put a slab of metal on the floor pan to push the fron end down. Will keep you updated on the progress.

Thanks much

14. xtcgt

xtcgt Karting

Nov 20, 2009
    Toms River NJ
    Full Name:
    Robert Boynton
    that looks like fun! there are more people who will say "why"? the answer is "why not"!

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I LOVE IT!

I'm glad to see you are gonna go through with it.

I'd like to come over and check it out in person. That is if you are up for visitors.

16. junglejustice

junglejustice Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    Weigh-station is going to show you total weight and then perhaps the front axle-weight (with just the front wheels pulled on there) and then the rear-axle weight (with just the rear wheels pulled on there. I guess you can pull up one wheel at a time with a pretty wide margin (truck scales have HUGE pressure cells) and that’s if they will work with you. Why bother – that’s only part of the story anyway.

Any good alignment shop is going to have a set of corner-scales with each wheel on it’s own scale – all 4 simultaneously. Now you can get the full picture, view your cross-axle weight as well and start to play with the suspension-setting to corner-balance the car! Just me thoughts.

In any event, looking good so far.

17. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #17 sevminasyan, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Steve, I went to Paradise Sunday for cake

My wife wants to move next door now :)

19. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You dont want her next door to that thing man. IF you know what I mean :)

How's Bruce. Seems like he disapeared off the planet

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Subscribed!

21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Hes busy as heck, he came over last week and was running on 4 cyls with his challenge car
    Think he blew a coil pac

22. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    YES!! So glad you picked this back up Steve. Big brakes? Coilover suspension? Sticky interior? Underbody aero? Just kidding about the last, but just maybe?

Good luck and we want to see every step of the way. :)

23. Steve Harkness

Steve Harkness Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    I totally understand why ur doing this. I've been married for twenty years and it's sent me insane also!!!

24. jellypig

jellypig Karting

May 6, 2013
    East Midlands, UK
  25. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    This is going to be monster.