Exhaust manifold replacement | FerrariChat

Exhaust manifold replacement

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by not4one, Mar 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    As an fyi, my dealer confirmed that early 2010 models (pre vin#170) need to have the exhaust manifolds replaced. Not sure what the problem is, but they're replacing mine while it's in for service.

2. Naplesgolfer

Naplesgolfer Rookie

Feb 19, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik
    i am going to ask the dealer about this, my Cali is pre 170,000 Vin. Thank you for the info. This forum is great resource.

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Maybe it is my imagination, but after the header change, my Cali sounds much better. She growls a lot more! I love it. Today on a nice drive with the top down I got tons of compliments -a lot of requests to hear the engine rev and a lot of people taking photos.

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Now enough is enough ... a drive with the top down, come on, it is 23 degrees on NW Ohio today. Good news is I have 170672. I ran home a little bit ago just because I needed to jump on it ... but my top was up :(

5. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Dealer called to say the parts are being installed today...I guess they have a bunch at the warehouse. Won't get to test out the sound until next week...they're taking it over to NJ for some paint work...for some reason I have 2 shades of mugello on the rear deck. Will let you know if I hear a difference.

On the transmission noise, I was told they are aware of 3 problem areas that can cause noise and they are still trying to figure it out. Fingers crossed on that one.

Also having the annual service...I suppose it needs oil/filter and a few checks (I've only got 2,500 miles on it). Anyone have a rough idea of what that normally costs? I'm guessing they'll find a way to get a grand out of me.

6. Naplesgolfer

Naplesgolfer Rookie

Feb 19, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The dealer is charging me 1350 for annual service.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Mine was $750 or $800 as I remember it, oil, filters, and brake fluid change at about 10,000 miles. I had it done again at 18,000 because it was there for the tranny noise (fixed!). Now have 19,100 miles.

8. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Thanks guys...I guess my estimate will be pretty close. I'll report my tab when I get it.

9. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    About the same for me from FTB, might have been $100 or so less at 2500 miles. Any further news on the reason for the manifold change? My 169xxx vin is in the window.

10. Naplesgolfer

Naplesgolfer Rookie

Feb 19, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ferrari has a campaign to replace exhaust manifolds on early vin's. I would call on yours.

11. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Mine was less than $900. At the time I had about 2,200 miles on the car and no issues to address.

12. FerrariJones

FerrariJones Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Seattle
    How is it almost $900 for this, shouldn't they have gone through warranty if its a campaign?

Did you pay for this replacement, or is that what the dealer told you that it would have cost you out of pocket?

Just curious.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #13 MalibuGuy, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    I think he was quoting his annual service which is not covered under the 3 yr factory warranty. The gearbox and exhaust system are fully covered items.

14. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    I just took a ride in my friends 2010 Cali that was delivered in December and I remember thinking that his car sounded quite a bit different from mine as well. I thought I was imagining it but now that you mentioned it...
    Mine is a 2009 with a 168xxx vin so I guess I should call the dealer. Does anybody know the reason for the campaign?
    Is it a safety issue? Defective part? Either way I would be happy with an angrier sounding exhaust :)

15. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Dealer tells me the original headers are prone to an "air leak". The post 170 vin have a different part and these are being installed on the pre 170's. Haven't picked it up yet so no report as to whether any change in exhaust/engine sound.

16. IAmAChild

IAmAChild Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    FYI - my car in Canada is undergoing the same replacement.

17. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Got the Cali back. Exhaust sound did not change in my case. The annual service tab (after only 2100 miles) was a bit rich at $1,694...not sure why all the filters needed changing and the brake fluid changed, but that's what they did. They also did multiple reflashing of trans...noise seems to be gone, at least for the moment.

18. peterkarvelas

peterkarvelas Karting

Jun 2, 2006
    RSA-Johannesburg
    How can they justify a charge of $1,694 for the annual service?
    Or is this a case of severe profiteering and the heck with the owner?
    Boggles the mind.

19. Naplesgolfer

Naplesgolfer Rookie

Feb 19, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I was charged 1350.00 for my annual. ( 1400 miles)

20. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    That makes me feel better...given that I find everything in Florida to be so reasonable compared to the NY area...now I'm feeling like I got a fair deal! Thank you.

21. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    just took delivery of my Cali yesterday from dealer. bought a very nice used car. vin is 170. is there a good site someone can direct me to advise on what replacement/recall items i should ask dealer about to make sure they took care of it.

thank you

22. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    The dealer's service dept should be able to tell you exactly what has and hasn't been done and on your car.

23. Naplesgolfer

Naplesgolfer Rookie

Feb 19, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik
    i am starting to suspect that dealers annual services may vary in some of extra services they add. Such as bleeding the brakes every year instead of the recommended every two years. This would help explain the $900 to $1650 spread in annual service cost's reported.

24. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Based on my experience, that sounds pretty good. Wait till you bring the car in for an out-of-warranty repair- then you will really start to see some eye-popping numbers. Just the way it is.

25. IAmAChild

IAmAChild Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    Just got my Cali back after header upgrade ... the car sounds better (purely subjective) and definitely 'pops' much nicer between shifts --- it's AWESOME !!! (definitely objective).

If you qualify for the header change, then get it done for sure.