308 Seat covers | FerrariChat

308 Seat covers

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Hot Tugo, Mar 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hot Tugo

Hot Tugo Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    Looking for replacement leather seat covers for my 1979 308. Any ideas on the best place to purchase are greatly appreciated.
    Scott

2. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    There was some discussion about this a while back. The general consensus was that Ferrari used the cheapest leather he could find to save production cost. Getting the color right seemed to be the focus of the threads. Do not use swede. (grin) Someone will tell you what kind of leather was used. I don't remember right off what it is.

bob

3. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    I was on Ebay and typed inferrari308 in the top catagory,some are listed,Hope this helps.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    These guys can handle it....

The vinyl for the dash and door arm rests is a little harder to find.
    Seats are easy!!

Welcome to the chat.....post pictures when you are done with the job!

5. hinton308

hinton308 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2009
    Gaffney, SC
    Full Name:
    Don Hinton
    I had my 83 308 leather redone this past fall. Ordered parts from GAHH. I ran into problems with the fit and having all the parts needed. Wade (308nut) had to do alot of trimming to get pieces to work. You may want to PM Wade and ask what he would do again if presented with a recover job again.
    Don

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #7 ClydeM, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    My drivers seat pretty much gave up the ghost last year. The bolster looked seedy, the main seam split with a .5" crack, and the welt was shot.
    Seat covers on a Ferrari are NOT an option.
    I did LOTS of searching, talked to LOTS of shops. I learned:
    1) different year 308s have different colors & interiors & seat covers.
    2) the leather in the car looks the same color, but over her 25 year life span, it's all different shades.
    3) that Conolly isn't available any more. AND you can't match the color anyway.
    4) If you redye stuff - it's likely not to match *and* may start peeling in 5 years

So this is a quandry. Buy a seat(s) from one of the two suppliers above or buy the whole leather interior. Start adding up the $$$ And if you subscribe to "While I'm in there"....the carpeting on my new door panels wouldn't match the rugs so maybe I should replace the floor carpeting too at the same time.

So I was consigned that it would be all the leather from GAH.

Then I chatted with Bradon - sponsors of the Tri-state section.
    I have no affiliation with them, yada yada.

I met with them. They custom make their interiors, their prices were good, and I left with a warm & fuzzy. Since they make their own, you know it's a custom fit. The 328 interior that I saw at their shop looked good. The only difference they told me was their embossed prancing pony on the headrest was a little bigger. Heck, I never even noticed. and my color is like "Camel"-darker than most Ferrari but not too dark. I would have to settle with the std. Tan. Since it was going to be all new anyway - what the heck. My car is at their shop now for all leather & carpets. My dash may be another project (looks like staple imprints in the vinyl. wierd.).

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My sun shade leaves indents in the dash like that.

You are right many local shops are capable of 'duplication"..not sure how pricing would compare.

308s don't have carpet on the door panels! ;)

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Did he renew the underlying foam??

I have seen jobs look pretty bad when this wasn't done...wrinkly.

9. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    #10 chas-3, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    308 QVs do. Take a look across this shot of my interior to the passenger side door panel. You will see carpet on the lower portion of the map pocket and door panel. Every 308 QV I have seen has this treatment. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I dont have anything on my dash. There were just a couple when I bought the car 8ish years ago. Now there are dozens. And the car is garage kept.

I checked out maybe 5 custom shops. I got pricing from $3K for two seats to $6K. Bradan was just under $3K

Silly me. So what's the Italian/Ferrari name for that stuff I have on the doors that is so like carpet? :)

11. hinton308

hinton308 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2009
    Gaffney, SC
    Full Name:
    Don Hinton
    BigTex
    I do not know if Wade changed the foam or not. It does not look wrinked. The leather from GAHH is about 2-2.5 times as thick as the original leather.
    Don