Remember the stolen F50 from Algar? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Remember the stolen F50 from Algar?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Agent Smith, Feb 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skydancer

skydancer Rookie

Feb 19, 2009
    Principality Sealand
    confrontational story ... nowadays rather a rule than an exception unfortunately
    in my case counting honest people is restricted to (merely) less than the fingers of half my hand :-(
    fortunately you got the amount back (and maybe also some more grey hairs ;-) )

2. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
    Crazy story Jas, amazed you got the money back. What a relief.

Just goes to show the importance of a ppi, and due diligence. Luckily this wasnt a six figure lesson for you. :)

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Dude you are so lucky! That could have ended very badly for you!

RMX

4. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

D-I-V-O-R-C-E.

Probably would have been compelled to sell it anyway to divide the marital assets. Don't know KY law, though.

RMX

5. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Wow. Great read.

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Amazing story!!! Glad it worked out in the end Jas!! :eek::eek:

7. rext

rext Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Rex
    Ah yes,you are correct.I still look at your site and check those pics out from time to time!
    I still gotta tell the story about the thief not paying for gas and I get pulled over..!!!

8. Ice9

Ice9 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ice9
    An amazing story. A couple of things resonate:

1) It seems like if your car is going to get stolen, it would be during time at a dealership: one might ask, how could the thief have gotten the original keys for the car? Its hard to resell or even drive a "hotwired" car. Well, the dealers are the only place where the keys are left in the car or handed to strangers.

Currently in the San Fran area, the big news story is a stolen yellow Lambo. It belongs to a famous celebrity chef named Guy Fieri, host of a show called "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives". Apparently it was at the local dealer for service and the thief rapelled into the dealership one night and drove the car away! It has been sighted around town and on the GG Bridge since then but the police have not been able to locate it -- a yellow Lambo hiding in plain sight...

If you want to read more:

Stolen Lamborghini seen in Tiburon, on GG Bridge
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/10/BA101I80BJ.DTL

2) PPIs, Carfax, etc dont give 100% confidence: Had Ferrari North America etc not gotten involved, the buyer would never have known it was stolen! Perhaps we should all register our cars with Ferrari just for tracing/tracking purposes. Better than Lojack?

9. coinball

coinball Karting

Dec 1, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow...I was going to Drexel back then and I have like 40 pictures of the F50 sitting in Algar's showroom (not sure if the sales guy Francis is still there, but he was awesome and let me and some friends drool over the F-cars and BS with him whenever we'd venture over that way); I had heard about it getting stolen shortly after that but didn't realize the epic story associated with it.

I'm gonna have to go dig up those pics now...

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Don't get be started on cops/fbi/secret service and their ludicrous double standards. I have family members in some of these agencies and they are among the most crooked above-the-law people I have ever met.

This story does not surprise me, and this insurance company will have one hell of a battle against the feds.

11. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    By chance, was the thief ever posting on F-Chat?

MDS

12. CarloR

CarloR Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Dec 13, 2006
    9219 Mira Este Court, San Diego CA 92126
    Full Name:
    Carlo Rubio
    Wow.. what a seriously great story. I remember when hearing about the F50 being stolen and that was the news of the town for a while when it happened. Glad you got your money back that's for sure.. cause now a days who knows where it would have gone when the guy went to jail or spent it before on attorneys.

13. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I dont think so, I wondered the same.

14. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    When you first told it to me, it was an incredible story. Knowing now what we know... it is down right unbelievable!

15. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    Jas,
    I think some one made a good point earlier , but I do not think you gave an answer. Did the car came with both hard top and the barchetta set up?

16. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

No it didnt, turns out the barchetta soft top was still at Algar :)

17. Kevin2772

Kevin2772 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What was the story the seller to you used when im sure you asked about the location of the soft top?

18. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    "It's with the shoes"?

19. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    An amazing story! I'm glad things worked out for you the way they did Jas, as I was reading I kept expecting to hear that you ended up being out 500K+ on the deal. What a beautiful car and a horrible ending for it to have had :(.

20. narkj

narkj Rookie

Mar 24, 2011
    RufMD, how can I get in touch with you. I'd like to speak with you, privately.

21. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    ohh, sounds interesting. Actually, this could be a great feature story in a car magazine.

22. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

Great idea. Don't know if RUFMD wants it THAT public though. Maybe a call to Car & Driver?????????

MDS

Off Topic - but does anyone remember the story from Car & Driver about the F50 they tried to test? Went thru a bunch of "Hoopla" to finally get one. They talked about the lease/purchase agreement, owners being told to not let Car & Driver test it, the performance, etc... Great article.

23. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    That's actually a good idea. I remember the F50 test article you referenced, that one always cracked me up.