Tell me why I should 'upgrade' to a 348? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tell me why I should 'upgrade' to a 348?

Discussion in '348/355' started by GrigioGuy, Mar 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pourquoi_ne

pourquoi_ne Karting

Mar 16, 2006
    England
    Full Name:
    John
    Keep the 328 or go to a 355

2. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    If you are serious about moving up then forget the 348. Ugly car to say the least. And yes the p/s does make a differance. Go directly to the 355 and enjoy. The valve guides are NOT $20gs. Do your homework and look for a long time for the right 355 and you will have a car to enjoy for a long time.

3. 348holland

348holland Formula 3

Dec 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    There aren't. I guess Simon is right. Only if you are bored and want something different you should upgrade to a 348.

I drove both. I think a 348 is more a handfull than the 328. It's also more expensive to maintain. Cambelt= engine out. I think a 348 looks more beautiful. There is no significant difference in speed between the both of them.

If you haven't found a convincing reason to swap then stop asking because there isn't a reason for you.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #29 2NA, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    I'm not going to try selling you on the idea, only you can make the choice.

You know what a 328 is all about, maybe you just need a change. A 348 is a different car in quite a few ways (especially if you got a Spider) but not so different that you need driving lessons. ;)

Is it possible that there's a certain black one with some cosmetic issues available near you?

There are plenty of cars to go around. If you decide later that you want a 328 again (I'd bet that doesn't happen), you can get one, maybe from someone who wants to "upgrade".

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Yes, yes, absolutely hideous. Makes a Celica look good.

6. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Because you won't have to buy hair gel.

7. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I just don't get people who trash the 348's looks while singing praises of the 355. You'd think they were comparing a Pontiac Aztec to a 246 Dino. The 348 and 355 are very, very similar visually. The lines of the cars are essentially the same, with only trim details that separate the look. I really like both cars. IMO, the front end of a 348 is more aggressive and better looking than the 355. The 355 looks a bit feminine to my eye, though not in a bad way. It's just softer. Same with the side cooling intakes. I like the cheese graters. Even without the strakes, I like the way that the back edge of the intake follows the lines of the door, unlike that of the 355, which again, looks a bit softer to me. No arguments about the rear lighting and the wheels though, the 355 wins that contest hands down IMO.

With respect to the lack of power steering, once above 10 mph, you don't even notice its absence. I've driven both cars and actually like the 348's steering feel better.

Phew. Got that off my chest.

8. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    #33 plugzit, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    My experience with the 348 is that it's user friendly. A guy with reasonable mechanical skills can do many of the maintenance items and upgrades. The engine is very dependable, just requiring major service every 5 years, then pretty much bulletproof. Very tractable throughout the rev range. More systems to go wrong than 328, less than 355. Parts readily available from several reliable sources. Plenty fast when enthusiatically driven. Beautiful to me. Interior good when sticky solved, highly functional, criticized only by picky people. Responds to upgrades. Technical help widely available here from nice people. Very few dissatisfied owners. Looked down upon by snobs, looked up to by connoisseurs. As far as "upgrade" or "downgrade", strictly a matter of personal preference.

9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Yep. The steering thing perplexes me, too. I've found 348 steering to be pleasantly go-kart like. Granted, my car has significantly lighter than stock wheels, but I also really enjoyed the feel of the cars I drove that had stock wheels.

Then again, I lift weights, shoot big guns and enjoy beef that fights back. :)

10. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    *That* car has already been sold to another local fchatter. I tried but was outbid...

11. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    Tillman, you can drive my 348 anytime.

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    There are 6 million reasons why the 355 is by far superior to the 348 and everyone on here knows that. There are hundreds of 348s out there with 355 parts on them but I have yet to see anyone convert their 355 to look like a 348. Hmmm, I wonder why.

13. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Is the 355 superior to the 348? Is the 360 superior to the 355? How about the 430 to the 360. I guess it depends on what you consider superior.

Buy what YOU like. I have a 348 Spider and a 3.2 Mondial Cab. I don't drive the Mondial as much as I should. I love the 348. There is a BIG difference in power between the two. But I mainly drive the 348 because I like the way I feel when driving it.

14. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Maybe even more

15. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Buy a lift for your garage and have both!

16. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I drove a 355 before getting into a 348. I love 355s as well as 348s (and respect all F cars), so I'm not going to bash them or anyone's decision to purchase one. However, there are several distinct reasons behind MY decision to go with the 348, as "superior" a vehicle as the 355 may be:

1) Steering feel.
    2) Looks. Yes. I feel the 355 is a little bland in comparison to the 348. Not unattractive, but when I think exotic I think somewhat wild.
    3) The engine. Sure, it's not as powerful as the 5 valve, but the 348/Mondial T powerplant is very stout and produces plenty of power.
    4) The relative lack of electronic gizmos. The less stuff the better, IMHO.

Not all of us suffer from 355 envy. I don't want 355 taillights or wheels; I don't want to remove my side strakes. It's up to you, of course, do what you like. Not trying to pee in the pool here, but this stuff starts getting old. Get what you like, and enjoy it. I don't even remember the OP asking about a 355, either.

17. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Stupid post.

18. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    It's easier just to use the *ignore* feature. :)

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    With all of your personal ownership experience, perhaps you can share a shortened version of your 6 million.

20. RandyDean

RandyDean Karting

Sep 13, 2010
    I own both and there are only two reasons to upgrade to a 348.

One is that the 348 has a a lot more interior room and if youre a big guy you'll fit easier in a 348.

Two is to buy a 348 Spider. The spider came out in 94 and has the bugs ironed out of it. Better front suspension, stronger gearbox, more HP, wider rear track, upgraded injection, less electronics than a 355, no crappy 5 valve heads like a 355. Manual roof instead of the unreliable and expensive to repair electric roof and seats on a 355 that jam on you at the worst possible times.

The 348 spider looks amazing in any group of supercars, new or old. Its probably the most reliable, best value, exotic car you can buy. Porsches are possibly more reliable but I dont count them as an exotic car.

I love driving my 328, its like a go kart, handles awesome and is a great car. The only reason Id sell one for a 348 would be to buy a spider and even then I'd miss my 328.

21. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've got a 355, and prefer the feel of the 348 steering to the 355. I also agree that the 348 has a better looking front end.

The acceleration of the 355 is very satisfying though.

I wish I could compare either to a 328, but sadly, I've never had the pleasure of driving one.

22. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yep, ignore feature is a beatiful thing. :)

23. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    Well, you should upgrade to a 348 to help me sell my car :D :D

Seriously, my car is on ferrariads and is fully sorted out, has been religiously taken care of and has some great upgrades that make it look like a 6-10 year old car, not a 20 year old one. It used to be Jmiff348's car.

Ad is here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=6215

Price is negotiable.

24. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    And it's freakin' gorgeous! :D

25. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    It's been a while since I visited the 348 section, but I see the same old crap from people who don't know **** is still being posted up.