The official MP4-12C Thread | Page 25 | FerrariChat

The official MP4-12C Thread

Discussion in 'British' started by Superquant, Feb 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the response, I am getting the same SR3 RS 1500, we have about 60 cars here at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney, similar set up by the sounds, they have a couple of Race Series one local & one that goes to 4 different tracks nationally, as well as the local 'track' days, not actually race days .......great to hear from another happy owner :)

I think there will definitely be a track oriented street legal version of the 12C, not unlike Scud or Porsche GT2/3 etc, there is a market for that type of exotic & given they have already shown us the GT3 race version. i think once they get production going out of the new purpose built factory & the car really bedded in, it will follow. It is a simple way to keep buyers interest every 2-3 years, rather than waiting 5 years or so for total new model to arrive, makes good marketing sense.

I can't wait to drive one, they are telling us down here, first demo not until Sept/Oct this year.

2. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    alot of the testing was done in the arab countries,i think bahrain was one were they thashed the car several days and nights for hot weather durability,some modifications were then made for the aero to get more air through the engine bay so the performance wasnt affected

3. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    I think this is one of the pp cars they were using to test emisions while on the road,rather than on a rolling road,there is a picture somewhere with larger round pipes, not that long ago ,on one of the newer reg cars,i half expect this to be one of the first mules for the new F1,will try and find it ,but am away at the moment

4. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    as we expect,the standard seats will be the biggest weight saving.Also just a thought,its nice to be strapped in on the track,but most cars it seems to be there to stop you falling off the seat on high g corners,i suspect when you watch jenson thashing jouros around the track they dont have this problem because the suspension takes out the roll,so big bonus,But not forgetting the saftey factor it you hit anything,so sports seats cannot be that far off,but even these they didnt have harnesses

5. Falb

Falb Karting

Mar 14, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Perhaps the sport seats will accommodate harnesses?

6. krzys@earthlink.net

[email protected] Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    #606 [email protected], Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    I am no expert, but that's what they tell me. The breakdown is internal, you can only truly check by taking the rotor out and weighing it. Ferrari has sensors that count high heat events (or something like that) and then reports wear due to some algorithm.

7. mclarenferrari

mclarenferrari Karting

Jul 13, 2010
  8. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    quote,testing in bahrains sakhir circuit with temp above 50deg c,to optimise the cooling of the engine,specifically its turbos.when the track temp is above 60deg c,you cant do handling tests as the tyres immediately overheat ,says Beal,we focused on engine and brake cooling.we developed a simulated hillclimb towing a weight behind the car in low gear,with max engine load and little airflow,we came out of Bahrain with revised charge cooling,fan placement and thermal insultion,as well as with hvac improvements and better cabin sealing

9. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    more info,crash testing with 12 cars,over 100 barrier tests and 250 sled tests,as you already know many of the carbon tubs were rebuilt and used several times.
    also its been reported that the engine weighs 199 kilos,the real weight is 150 kilos,also there are 34 ecu,s on board

10. Falb

Falb Karting

Mar 14, 2011
    Las Vegas
    This is good to know. If it can handle 50C that is better than me. I melt at 110F. :) Hopefully the A/C can blow out of more than 3 dash vents.

11. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    And yet the A/C conked out on Sutcliffe on his leisurely trip. Hope they fixed that!!

Are these quotes from a specific article? Would love to read if u have a link.

12. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    a 68 page suppliment by autocar fot the 12c,they did one for the F1 17 years ago apparently its now a collectors item!!
    I will look over it and find everything relevant if you cant get it in the states

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #613 Peloton25, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Was going to stick this in the "other" thread where it seems more appropriate, but I don't want to upset bdelp any more than he already is... ;) :p :D

Personally I like the face of the 12C quite a bit more. YMMV.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #614 Peloton25, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    This is the first pic where I find the 12C more attractive than the 458...

16. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    do you not think the leds are already looking a little old hat???

17. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Indeed. The LED of the Italia (and FF and most probably all next Ferrari to come) look WOW at first sight, but shortly after they remind you of something like a Christmas tree.

The 12C with its more sober looks starts growing on me, I could imagine that its design will last longer.

18. AugustWest

AugustWest Karting

Mar 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Car & Driver just panned the LEDs on the new Chrysler 300 as being a slave to fashion. They're soon to be on everything, as the 'required' styling element. Audi's look like the designers literally said, "oh wait - we need some LED thingys in the headlamps! Same with those on the front of the 911.

Pretty soon we'll be saying "nothing says "turn of the century" like LED headlamps!"

19. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I believe part of it has to do with mandatory daytime running lamps, however, I think it will be a trend just like pop-up lights were.

20. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
  21. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    Sorry - but that sounds kinda weak. Did you listen to the MP4 in the Autocar video? It sounds muted. The F458 can be heard half a mile away and absolutely SCREAMS above 6K RPM.

22. lazerblu

lazerblu Karting

Feb 15, 2011
    God's Own County, UK
    HD versions now available on YouTube

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRy1zHAB2N8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ABIpHXiOdM[/ame]

23. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    Uhh, didn't I say that Italia's sound is better?

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    IMO,I'm not so sure.
    Italia is either very loud (too loud) or very quiet (too quiet) while Scuderia is more consistent and the noise is gradual which I personally prefer.
    At steady highway speed,the Italia has a very unpleasant drone that gives me a headache.
    I'll wait for my personal experience with the Mp412c to pass judgement on the sound of that car....

25. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I liked the 12 C sound in those videos. I'm in for a fire black, sport exhaust, super light weight wheels in stealth finish and black calipers, steel brakes, stealth package, all leather interior black and saddle with saddle dash, saddle outer seats with black alcantara center and two tone steering wheel. Still on the fence for IRIS system. I can't wait.