Garage Lift | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I am considering adding a car but am limited by the size of my garage. Therefore, it appears the only practical solution is to add a Lift to keep my cars indoors. I will also need it installed. The lift will not be used for working on the car, so likely a four poster.

Any suggestions - greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Barry@PresidentialDetails

BANNED

Nov 7, 2009
    Lancaster PA
    Full Name:
    Barry Theal
    Wheres Joe Mac at? He has an amazing lift for his stable. I'm sure he will tell you all about it. I think its this one if my mind is correct.

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

3. Crazy4Carz

Crazy4Carz Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Pike Creek, DE
    Full Name:
    Steve Gray
    On the contrary, four post lifts are great for working on the car. These came from Greg Smith Equipment, and they offer a "sliding jack" that will lift either the front wheels or the rear wheels both at one time. I store cars on these and have built many cars and serviced many cars on these lifts. If you get the adapter you can use it for bikes as well. We built my buddies Harley here at my garage.

Here are a couple pic's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No Ferrari...Yet.

4. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    ^^^^^^^
    Nice ! Mopar Man, too.

5. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    +3 on the Backyard Buddy lifts as I have three in my garage and love them...

6. jamie furman

jamie furman Karting

Feb 20, 2011
    Manassas Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jamie Furman
    #6 jamie furman, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I use the same lifts and I like them! I also am a mopar fan and I like your dart, here is a picture of my dart I thought you might like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. IMSA/GT

IMSA/GT Rookie

Aug 22, 2010
  8. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009
    Just the thing to have if the cops are chasing you . . . pull into the garage, push a button and when they drive by they only see the wife's car. :D

9. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was over Joe Mac's last night using the lift and its great. He has the 120v version, which takes a couple seconds less to lift to the top then the 220v (not worth the extra for the 220v). Its got a great lockout feature that is very secure. The only recommondation that we both agreed on was that it needed 6' ramps instead of the 3'. I got my 328 up on it, but there was very little room between the rockers and front bumper, the 6' would have given it a little more clearance.

Mike

10. BobO

BobO Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Loudoun Co, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob O
    My "two" car garage houses 4 "little" red cars. 4 posts are the way to go for both storage and work. I do exhaust systems, oil changes, light stuff like that I have no trouble with the 4 post but I s'pose the two posters would be a bit easier. Truth be told, I'm getting too damn old to squatch under a car with zip for clearance to do an oil change. Once you use your lift for that, there's no going back.

I have Direct Lift. They're the only Chinese lifts that are ASTM certified. Rotary owns and specs the Direct Lift. You can take a look at several brands if you go on up to Spring Carlisle. There are usually at least several lift vendors and you can compare and order them at the show.

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  12. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #12 Bryanp, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Lew L

Lew L Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    That Quality Lift looks very much like an American Custom Lift, www.aclifts.com. It looks like their Voyager model. Good lifts. They must sell them under both names.

14. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for all the information. I have now purchased the new car and my wife's car is no longer in the garage, so finding and installing a lift has taken on some urgency.

Does anyone have experience with Potomac Garage Solutions? They have a unique two front end post, scissors lift that appears to be ideal for residential use. It also has a bed rather than rails to drive up on, so no working on car from underneath is possible, which is not an issue for me.

Thanks again.

Rob

15. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Stay away from Potomac Garage Solutions. They're completely clueless. I dealt with one of their sales guys called Zev Pomerance (also goes by the first name George) and he turned out to be not only unreliable but a liar. Kept stringing me along for weeks before I finally gave up and worked with someone else. Contact Kevin (KKRace on this board and on F Life) for a good local contact for new lifts. Also, Ron (Pantera1889 on here) has a line on some great quality used lifts that you can have installed at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

16. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    What do you guys know about Bendpak lifts?

17. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    If you use the search function, you will find 222 posts that have Bendpak mentioned.

18. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Great lifts. I have a HD9 on order. As I mentioned before, Kevin knows the local installer and has a HD9 narrow version.

19. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Thanks, that is the model I was looking at.

20. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #20 Bryanp, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    the new bend-paks are not liked in certain circles; search "HD-9" at Garagejournal.com in your research. My installer, mentioned earlier in this thread, won't install the new ones.
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php

it's why I went Quality.

21. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Thanks Byran

22. Olimpi

Olimpi Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    Full Name:
    David D. Olimpi
    For garage lifts and installations I recommend David Sunter ([email protected]) at Chesapeake Petroleum. He's installed lifts in several of my friend's garages and automobile agencies. He's an expert in this field, and a Car Guy without equal.

23. uhho

uhho Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    Did this end up getting resolved? I'm looking into the bendpak hd-9 for my garage but the price seems a little steep.

24. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Not to take anything away from those that have another preference, but I've had a four-post lift from Greg Smith Equipment in Delaware since 2008 and have been very satisfied, to the extent that I bought another one this summer. I think you can over analyze this issue and wind up lost in the detail weeds. I looked at all of the name brands and frankly did not see much if any difference except price. The Greg Smith lift works well and seems very nicely priced.

Rent a U-Haul twin axle car trailer for $60 for the day and drive up to Delaware and take delivery of the lift. No sales tax! Installation is very straightforward but needs two STRONG people or three normal, out-of-shape, guys. The main lift runway with hydraulic cylinder is a real moose to move. I am not a mechanical genius by any means but had no trouble following the assembly manual. I did not beforehand, and really do not now, after assembling one lift, see the need to pay someone hundreds of bucks to bolt together 30 pieces of fairly crude structural steel. Leave a full weekend for the job to allow for the inevitable goof and "where the heck did that lock nut go to?" and you'll be fine.

If you are looking for a storage lift, my advice is to get the tallest and widest lift that will fit in your garage. The first "CLANG" when your noggin hits the lift--a thoroughly immovable object compared to your head--that is not full walk under height will convince you of the height advice. One ruined $500 tire because a bit of it hung off the runway over a winter because the rear track of the car on the lift was as wide as the lift, or the first side mirror you scythe off as you drive a car in between the lift posts, will convince you of the width advice.

If you are spooked by the prospect of the locks failing and the lift suddenly dropping, get a couple of aluminum or steel I-beams cut to the appropriate height at a welding shop as fail-safe props when the lift is up in the air.

You are welcome to visit and check out my lift and/or help/kibitz when I assemble the second lift I bought a few months ago.

<http://www.gregsmithequipment.com>