355 Gearbox Propeller shaft | FerrariChat

355 Gearbox Propeller shaft

Discussion in '348/355' started by bcwawright, Mar 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Does anyone know what type of metal alloy is used for the propeller shaft?

I am working on a lightweight flywheel/clutch assembly and the way the OEM shaft is ground it will most definitely result in a failure(snap) of this part....sooooo I will have to machine one up.

2. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    If you think the OEM will fail regardless, and are making a new one, why does original material matter?

What part of it do you think will cause failure? Making the shaft from titanium, 4130, 300m?

3. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I did not say the OEM material was bad....it is the grind/shape that needs to be redone.

Michelotto used the same material(which they will not release to me) in their propeller shaft redesign that held up extremely well in the 348LM and 355GT using the lightweight flywheel and 140mm triple disc clutch.

4. 355 P4

355 P4 Karting

Oct 13, 2020
    So. California
    Full Name:
    Bill Krueger
    I have broken my 255 "Propeller" shaft and replacing it with one from Formula GT but can't find information on what is required to pull the old on. I have my hands (fingers) on the end of the old one still in place but it only comes about 2 inches and stops out. I have giggled and turned it but can't find a place where it will pull free. Do I need to remove the 4 bolts and pull the throwout bearing housing in order the get the broken shaft out? Thanks

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

I droped my transmission and removed it from the engine side nothing more to tear apart, it slides right out.

you have to take off a lot more to get it out the clutch side.

Qavion likes this.
  6. 355 P4

355 P4 Karting

Oct 13, 2020
    So. California
    Full Name:
    Bill Krueger
    Thanks for getting back to me. Peter at Formula GT (who sells the "improved' shafts) has trouble being clear with the language barrier but he indicates that you don't have to remove anything more and that it has "changed out 2 of them at the track and didn't even have a jack".

7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    yeah Like I said I just pulled the trans only a few nuts and bolts it can also be dropped straight out of the cradle no need to take out the engine cradle.

8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  9. 355 P4

355 P4 Karting

Oct 13, 2020
    So. California
    Full Name:
    Bill Krueger
    Thanks for the info. Assume that you had to disconnect the 1/2 shafts?
    You must have to drop it down quite a ways in order to slid the new shaft in the front end. Once the trans is back up and mated to the engine is it easy to push the shaft from the back and engage the engine spline? By the way, I don't have a 355 but a 355 engine and drivetrain in a custom car hence the 355 P4.