Registration Question | FerrariChat

Registration Question

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
  2. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Check this out: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm

I filled out the paperwork here and followed the instructions on this site, so I had everything necessary the first time I registered my 355.

Best of luck and congrats on the new car.
    David

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks notaboy. I had actually taken a peek at this site before, and found it to be (surprisingly) complete. The one thing that I couldn't find, and which was the genesis of my question, is when are we required to register an out-of-state car? Ie, are we supposed to have gone through the registration process before the car is transported here, or do we have some period of time after the car arrives in NY State (say, 30 days) within which to register the car.

I'm sure this is probably a grey area, and that either answer is acceptable, but I was just curious on the "technically correct" answer. Perhaps you can comment on your experiences.

Thanks.

4. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Ghost I assume you are buying a used car via private party by manner of your questions. Everything really relies on the sale date which was written on the title. Usually you are required to register the car within 15-30 days from that date, otherwise a surcharge applies (less than $50 in NJ). If the car is going to under go a restoration for a few months, that issue can be skirted by leaving the sale date blank if the car wld be parked for a while.

The only thing I wld recommend you obtain prior to transporting it, is insurance, assuming the car is quite valuable. If adding to an existing policy, all you shld need is the VIN.

Tell us what youre buying?

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks Greg. You are correct, in that this is a private party sale. I think the 15 - 30 day window from point-of-sale is reasonable -- I just wish the DMV would clearly spell it out (again, if people know they have and I've just missed it, please let me know).

W.r.t. insurance, I'm using one of the top high-end transporters, and they are fully insuring the car, as is normal operating procedure. My own insurance starts on March 1, in a couple of days.

As for, what I'm buying, check this thread out. :D