Squeaked by on the CA Smog Test | FerrariChat

Squeaked by on the CA Smog Test

Discussion in '308/328' started by viphoto, Mar 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. viphoto

viphoto Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well finally went to do the "welcome back to California smog test" after 3 months of sweating on whether I would be able to pass it.
    Ansa exhaust off, individual air cleaners off ...New magnaflow cats (PITA to adapt), all smog equipment reinstalled.
    Even retarded the timing back to 3ATDC (which he didn't seem to actually check.)
    Longest trip to date since bringing the car back on a trailer and doing a long long overdue major (belts were 22 years old)..The round trip was only 15 miles but helped tremendously in building my confidence with the car and the work I did...still learning the idiosyncrasies of this car.
    Smog results as follows
    First test failed the 25mph CO big time (gross [email protected]) , the tech was pretty cool and said lets try it in 3rd at lower rpms where it squeaked by.
    ------------ Max-----Average------Measured-------RPM
    15mph HC 201--------47-------------55-----------1858
    25mph----168---------37-------------28-----------2192

15mph CO 1.30-------.20------------.74
    25--------- 1.10-------.17------------.97

15 mph NOX 1314----554------------5
    25------------1174----468------------50

Off to AAA to get my plates and finally put some miles on this car..
    Thanks to all those who answered my assorted questions....

2. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Well done.

More details please.

What did they inspect for. Did he/she look for
    - Cats?
    - airpump?

Just very curiuos about what they visually inspected for.

The three times I took my car in they didnt visually inspect anything except the idle speed sticker.

3. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    sounds like the 135's were dumping too much fuel in at the higher revs, but when you dropped the rpm's off the main circuit it passed?

4. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Also, as a reference my car blew 0.03 at 15mph and 0.00 at 25mph for CO. Your numbers certainly are high.

5. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    A win is a win... A pass is a pass!

Go enjoy! You've got two years to get it tweaked right before the next test.

Rick

6. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    New York has ammended their emission testing to vehicles newer then 1995 due to the abesence of a vehicle computer. Prior to the amendment, anything automobile older then 25 years was exempt, either way 308s are exempt. No need for cats.

7. viphoto

viphoto Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi Geno
    I watched from outside the bay but from what I could tell he didn't look at the cats other than a quick look under the car. He looked around the engine compartment for a couple of minutes and he commented on the air pump running off the cam. He consulted the data plate in the engine compartment a couple of times. I was sure if I didn't change the timing he would check it but I wonder if the plate over the flywheel is too much of a hassle for them to deal with..I did see him check the timing on the car before mine which was an older Toyota. One of the other techs came over and looked at the engine and mentioned it smelled like it was running a little rich..(this guy has a good nose, I couldn't smell anything since I put on the cats.)This was a test only place by the way, I usually take my cars there and was there 2 weeks ago with my BMW.

By the way I think your right about the 135s ....

8. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Good work.

On an unrelated note you should meet up with us on this thing.....

http://fogrally.com/

9. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Congrat! Having an old car legally passing smog test is no small feat!

And my hat off to those posters who have almost no mechanical knowledge yet are able to get their grey-market 3x8s to pass smog in California.

10. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    i had 2 of mine passed this jan........no cats, no pump.....no problem.......nice to have close friends in the biz))))))))))

11. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Idiotic California. Get a life.

12. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    #12 Tokyo Drftr, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
    Move to N. Cal. or just register there........ no smog required. Some counties require you to remove the cat......fire hazard. They don't want their crops camaged)))))))

There was a muffler shop i visited......that removed and stored all the cats for the people living there......they would reinstall if needed........

13. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    N. Cal meaning Northern California? They certainly have smog requirements there...

14. maestro8

maestro8 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I took my car to a shop in San Jose (PM me if you want the name) and they only looked for the tail pipes so they knew where to put their sniffer.

My Mondi passed with flying colors after flunking 2x in Phoenix. Guess they've got much more stringent regulations than we do!

15. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    My experience as well, three times. However there are some on fchat who think they look for all the smog equipment (functioning microswitch, etc.) and if not found you go directly to jail :)

16. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    There is a county in Northern Cal does not require a biannual

17. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Here is a link to the CA map showing which areas are subject to the various levels of smog check:

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/engineering/Program_Map.pdf

You can see that for some areas smog check is only required when the car changes ownership. I'm thinking I should move out to Borrego Springs.

Personally, I think our bankrupt state (both financially and in leadership) is missing out on a great revenue opportunity. Let people with 25+ year old cars pay some kind of smog tax in exchange for an exemption to smog check. Cap the mileage so it only applies to classics/pleasure vehicles. Then the state can freely piss away the money on a goofy cash-for-clunkers program or whatever suits their fancy.

18. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Logic and environmental concerns will play little part in the decisions regarding to Smog Check or not. This is a major cash cow for state and local govmnts, make no mistake about it....... it is a tax and "It" will come if it is not there already.

Our County, completely Rural with long drives between towns....... starting March 1 this year...... If it is enacted in this Cow Town where a drive to a station is in excess of 20 miles for us and the Diesel check is the opposite direction from the Gasoline check, plan for it.

In the end it (smog checking) is not a bad thing if some degree of logic is employed. Having the cars run lean and clean increases the longevity as well as power. Using alcohol to do it..... brainless bureaucratic nonsense but predictable when the money trail is followed. Only a Chosen brand of Cat or Header will pass the visual inspection..... Considering the money they charge to get certified, this too is quite predictable.

Without question it holds our feet to the fire to have the cars running at peak levels but why do we own a Ferrari if it isn't to experience just that? It does require a completely different mind set from days gone by when it comes to 'Hot Roding' but that too is workable, you just need to think outside the box.

19. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    From what I've learned, the CA test is a formal checklist from which the tester may not deviate. Once your car is connected to the DMV computer, you're getting a full test; like it or not. A "check engine" light on an OBD car is apparently an automatic no-pass, but the state checklist requires the hook-up before starting the car, so if the tester doesn't drive the car into the stall or doesn't choose to advise you before pushing the "start test" button, your car will be formally failed. That's why questionable cars should get a pre-inspection test...same test but not linked to the DMV computer.

20. marks308GTB

marks308GTB Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Los Altos Hills, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark S.
    DWPC....

What if the car does not have any computer or any OBD ports? How does the DMV track that?

Mark

21. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I was living in La Quinta and had a state smog guy who did not like my car for some reason. Long story, but had Bobileff do his thing, detuned, installed cats, etc. Cost a lot. Moved to Arizona a year or so ago. Cost $45 with a custom plate. They said they did not need tooooo see the car. Now I drive back and forth to CA and smile everytime I see a CHP. Love Arizona.