Meditations on a Flood Damaged Car | FerrariChat

Meditations on a Flood Damaged Car

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Texas Forever, Mar 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The Ferrari Market Letter has an ad for 2000 yellow 550 that has a salvage title due to water damage. (And no, I'm not going to give the contact info. Subscribe yourself you cheep SOBs.)

Let's say one was thinking about a FBB street/track special, which means a salvage title is no big deal. Rust I can handle. Fortunately, even Ferrari stopped using cheap-ass Russian steel back in the early '80s. Put the car on a lift, spent two or three hours, pull the wheels, maybe even pull the brakes, poke every nook and cranny (not literally), and you'll find whatever rust there is to find.

But electrics are another story. To me electricity is magic. I turn the key and the motor starts. That is the sum total of my electrical knowledge. (That and the lesson learned the hard way that sticking a fork into an electrical outlet is not a good idea.)

But I have heard that Dave Helms has some pretty powerful jungle juice that solves connector problems. I don't care about power seats because I'm would probably bolt in a seat. Ditto on radios and all that. (However, the A/C would still have to work.)

But what about all the the other little magic elves (goblins?) that are seemingly everywhere on modern cars? Would are these little boxes made out of fairy dust doom a project like this?

Apparently, the car runs, although the ad doesn't say so specifically.

Your thoughts?

Dale

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking, actually just daydreaming cause there's too much going on right now.

Besides, call me a slut, but yellow doesn't do it for me in a Shark. :)

Dale

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    DW- Let me rephrase what you said. "I do not know much about electronics, especially about something as complicated as a twin Motronic ECU, DOHC, 48 valve V12, with a whole bunch of other ECUs and Ferrari wiring, but I am considering buying a car where all those connections and ECUs may be damaged."

FBB hit it on the head. Unless you have someone do a really thorough PPI with an SD2 check on everything it can read, I would be careful.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Depends on the premium over salvage (parting out value) you have to pay for the car.

6. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    There is a reason why David Helms is producing the gold connector kit for normally aged 550's and now you're considering one that you know has been water aged.

Gotta agree, bright colors are just too much for this body style.

7. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The problem with flood cars is not what shows up Now...... its what shows up three-five years from now. Direct water contact is a problem but evaporation damage to dash components is the gift that keep on giving for many years to come.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'd rather buy a shell and replace everything with z06 running gear......

and the $6,500 compressor HVAC thing was bad ? that thing will be a money pit

9. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Corrosion will give you electrical gremlins for years to come. Pass.

10. eagleye49

eagleye49 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    This isn't a simple 330GT with coils and points and all of that old timey stuff that's so easy to fix. Corrosion is a dynamic process, that once started, progresses. Connections that are adequate to transmit a signal now, may not be so next year. In addition, if the car had just "water intrusion on the carpets", would it have been totaled?

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    it could be something as minor as former owner leaving windows down in the rain.

no way to tell without inspection.

either way $30k

12. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    For what it's worth, I bet you could pick up the Euro 550 that was on ebay last week for the same money or less.

I don't think I've ever seen anything mechanical react particularly well to getting wet. I'm obsessive to the point where I'm thinking about getting a second dehumidifier to keep my garage basement even drier than it is with the one I run 24/7 now.

13. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Perhaps one of these cars in Miami, Florida back on February 12, 2010?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raPQMZKm-U8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maybe somebody peed in their pants?

I wonder what the parts value might be?

Many years ago, I was told a hood goes for $11K. My guess is the front and rear sections are $4k apiece. The front and rear quarter panels are probably another $4 apiece. The rear deck maybe $2k.

Even at wholesale, the body parts are probably worth $25k; that is if someone was looking for body parts.

I know the King of Toasted Ponies doesn't deal with modern cars, but maybe FBB might want to stock up just in case. :)

Dale

15. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I am reasonably sure that the Autotrader car, the one that says "The title is a Restored Arizona Salvage Title due to prior water intrusion on the carpet," is not the same one the OP was talking about.

The Autotrader car is described as "runs GREAT!," while the OP, in describing the car he was talking about, said "Apparently, the car runs, although the ad doesn't say so specifically."

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No, this is the same car. I originally saw it in the Ferrari Market Letter. I didn't post specifics because I didn't want to rip off the FML.

BTW, we all might want to note the VIN, just in case.

Dale

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, one of the reasons for this thread is I just sold a 2000 BMW 5 car that had been flooded up to the seat level in 2002. When I brought it, the car had 95k miles. It had 135k when I sold it three years later. The guy I brought it from had purchased it from a salvage company for pennies when it has 25K miles. He had receipts showing everything, including the transmission, had been replaced.

I never had any problems and sold it for what I paid.

That was the kind of car that makes my little bottom feeder heart go pitty pat pat!

Dale

18. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    This yellow 550 has been on the market for a year. The seller originally was asking 75K a year ago. Seller is located 15 minutes from my house in Sun Valley. Sun Valley is So. Cal's haven for bone yards. There is probably over 50 salvage yards in Sun Valley. I bought a SVT Focus with a salvage title from a salvage yard in Sun Valley, along with many a part. Buying a salvage title F-car is whole 'nother ball game...