The reason I own a Ferrari | FerrariChat

The reason I own a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by turbos7903, Mar 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    A lot has been said recently about how many people own Porsche as well as other marques like BMW. They are arguably fantastic cars. But this is why I will always have a Ferrari in my garage....even if I drive my Porsche more often: enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=1_kwxzU4wL4&vq=medium <http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=1_kwxzU4wL4&amp;vq=medium>

2. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have watched this many times, and I never get tired of it. I especially love the soundtrack -- each era is so different, yet all great!!

3. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    I love watching that video every time

4. mondialmerle

mondialmerle Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ
    Full Name:
    Merle Graham
    That pretty much says it all without saying a word.

5. sbpwjm

sbpwjm Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bank, NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I do not own a Ferrari (but I know some people who do), but this "commercial" has got to be one of the greatest of all time and it is one of the reasons I put Shell gasoline in my old Porsche! : )

From a Google search:

"The [60th] anniversary celebrations have also spawned one of the world’s most outstanding adverts, not from Ferrari, but from its long-standing Formula One fuel partner Shell. Costing US$3.9 million, the two minute longform commercial involves a cavalcade of Ferrari’s most famous race cars driving flat-out through the streets Rome, Monaco, Rio, New York and Hong Kong and is yet another example of Antione Bardou-Jacquet’s astonishing talent. He was previously best known for the Honda “Cog” commercial.

There has been a bit written about the advert being the most expensive advert in history but they weren’t even close – that title goes to Nicole Kidman’s three minute Chanel commercial which cost US$35 million – Kidman’s fee alone was more than the entire Shell commercial budget."

6. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I feel like I should buy a Ferrari and use Shell more often. :)

7. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

I love that video. Makes me want to go out and buy a Porsche to drive everyday, leaving my Ferrari under a protective cover for fear of asphalt ruining the undercarriage of my Ferrari....wait, suddenly I feel different. I feel gay, I feel...I feel like singing, naked on a hillside. No...sorry. I just had a Joe Zaff moment. I'm better now

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I guess I am just a bit different (or insane as my ex liked to say), I never felt the connection to the Ferrari's I owned, but I felt it with all of the 39 Porsche's (except the turbo SUV thingy) I owned. I can not explain it other than as a kid I saw Porsche's as the cool car to someday have. I have felt it with many other cars from TR6's to Miata's and BMW's I have owned, but it never really happened with Ferrari cars. I still think they are wonderful machines, but they are just machines (they have no soul or any magic powers), and I have turned the machines in my garage into something the people who built them never intended, but hell I love um. I come to this board, like I do other boards because I like the people here. I have a lot of experience with many, many cars, and with doing mods (I can help people not waste their money,when they listen) to them, and though the car fever has mostly left me (With two companies to run, writing novels, my twins, & a great women in my life), I still enjoy talking about cars, though no one may see me out in mine anymore.

9. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ROTFL .... and the funny part is Joey is probably still sleeping and dreaming of his new Porsche that exact way. Oh Mr. Zaff we luv you !

10. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Scott, thanks for the piece of trivia on the commercial. Nicole Kidman in a Ferrari commericial would be awesome...just sayin! Jon in Delaware

11. B-26

B-26 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2009
    Glen Mills PA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks for that video Jon, a good start to another good day.

12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #12 JoeZaff, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    Ummm you felt like that long before you saw that video.

Don't think nobody has noticed how eager you are to give "rides" at C&C.

Normally, when I take a ride with a friend I buckle my seatbelt. With you, I bring mace and a whistle.

:D

FWIW, when I get a rock chip, I may want to get the car repainted...but you sell the whole damn car! :)

13. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    Ferraris....just machines? uh...ok...everyone is different, I guess.

For me (and I doubt that I am alone) cars, at least some cars, are not just machines. I could never say that about a Bugatti or a Miura or a cobra or a GT40 or a 250TR or an Aston Martin DBR1 or a Countach or a Dusenburg....

That's like saying screaming eagle is just grape juice, dante's inferno is parchment with dye on it or a vermeer is canvas with smeared vegetable matter....

Sorry to hear that you've lost whatever passion you have for automotive art for all that it represents (aesthetics, engineering, aenima, some of man's greatest expressions and achievement etc. etc.)

Are you ok? Do we need to call 911?

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    After 250 cars, yes they are all just cars, some nicer, some faster, some that have scared the crap out of me, but just cars none the less. I have found new passions in my life, but hey I can look back and say been there done that, lived in a refrigerator box at one point in my life, but I dont anymore. "what a long strange trip its been"

15. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    wow...250...that's a lot of cars...wow

16. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    Come to think of it....

Me too....

I too no longer see these hunks of metal as moving art. I have seen the light. They are wasteful expressions of consumption and hubris.

What was I thinking spending all of this time and money on them.

I am auctioning them off and buying a Volt.

17. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    April Fools.......

18. autoaesthetica

Oct 11, 2010
    Greater Buffalo/WNY
    I love this commercial, even putting it on loop queue and having it run in the background a couple of times. Thank you for sharing again.

19. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Now that's funny....

20. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

How old are you?

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am in my 50's but I used to buy cars like most people buy lunch, I would own 8 to 10 at a time, some I kept 100 miles, some I would do mods to to try and make them better for me, and I could not, so I'd get rid of them. It was not till my 997S (the one in my garage) that I realized that for any car to be right for me, I had to completely take it apart and rebuild it my way. The 997 was apart for a year (it spent only 1 day in warranty after I bought from Rosen) but now it is a car that would probably have no use to anyone but me, so when I want to try changing a car again, and since I think all AWD sports cars should be taken apart and used to make homes for the needy, I bought a Gallardo, and start changing that first thing was change to RWD. I like sports cars that scare to hell out of you, you can not talking on the phone when driving them, you need both hands on the wheel and if you screw up, your screwed. My way is not for most people, but then again my life has not been either. I still like cars, though I stopped being affected by the koolaid, and the desire to have the next best thing is gone. You see for me, I already have the best things my twins and a great women, and I've been lucky enough to own alot of cars other people only dream about, so I am content. You ask any of the local car dealers some of them probably can not remember how many cars I bought from them, hell either can I anymore.

22. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is why I love my Viper! I appreciate your passion Morrie!