Fiat 500 US Market | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Fiat 500 US Market

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Pav, Sep 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Agreed!

2. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Sorry to ask again, has anyone heard about the Twin Air version coming to the states?

3. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's the engine that is in the base Fiat.

It's known as MultiAir in the U.S.

Electro-hydraulic variable valve actuation, 101 bhp.

So yes, you can buy a Fiat today in the U.S. with TwinAir/MultiAir.

4. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #529 Tifosi15, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    The Twin Air version is the two cylinder version (.8 liter), the MultiAir is different, or at least in Europe. The base cars in both Europe and US carry the 1.4

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The only other engine that is in the business plan for the next 12 months for the US is the Abarth motor.

6. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/04/03/7-car-brands-bad-reputations-quality/

7. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Which is why I've been saying that Fiat's strategy of "style" and "fun" need to be reinforced with RELIABILITY and QUALITY also -- which they haven't even bothered to address.

When I suggested to a friend of mine to even go look at a Fiat, he burst out laughing. Fiat has to get over this or they will never sell cars to people other than ourselves.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #534 TheMayor, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    YOU know it but nobody else does. Toyota and Honda have been cramming down this message of reliablity and quality for 30 years. Fiat hasn't even bothered to answer this question: Why should I trust that your car is reliable?

Even worse, look at Chrysler in this survey. They also are very poor. Mix Fiat and Chrysler and you have the perfect storm of bad perceptions.

It's perceptions that matter -- not reality. Yes, Fiat needs to make a great product and may have. But, they also need to get the word out there that the 80's are over and they understand needed to change-- and here's HOW they did it.

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I agree. Let's see what they do. So far they have not been stellar in the marketing.

11. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Speaking of Chrysler: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/06/report-fiat-to-up-stake-in-chrysler-to-30-percent/

12. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Not to make anyone feel old, but... I honestly haven't heard the Fiat/Quality argument from anyone other than my parents or people their age. I'm 30, so I don't remember Fiat as a brand when they were here before - nor do any of my peers.

Everyone that I'm friends with or work with are interested in the car and have never questioned the quality. I'm lucky if they even know what Fiat is. If they're going after the Apple, iPod-toting crowd, I don't think that they're going to have to convince many people that they've solved any quality issues from their past - since those people don't even realize that past even existed.

13. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Good points.

14. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Finally drove one today, wow, what a special car! I have to echo that this really does feel like a quality product. To be honest it's really not that much slower than my Subaru with 170bhp, it's the lightweight that really makes this a sporty and fun car.

15. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    My biggest Red Flag is the fact that Fiat refuses to Lease the 500. Now think about it. You just acquired with no cash 50 percent of Chrysler. You are the largest privately held company in the world and you lease cars all over the world in over a 80 countries. You take a car that you have a 4 year track record with and mark it up 6000 dollars then you say you cant lease it.

You must ask yourself a question. If it doesn't pencil out financially on the resale value for Fiat to lease out there own car why would you buy one?

16. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Because I want one. ;) I never bought a car without realizing I was going to lose money. But I already put 1,000 miles on it and am enjoying every second of it.

Maybe you can grab one used? They may come on the market as soon as next year when the Abarths and Cabrios come out.

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Why bother leasing a $18k car? Are people really that cash poor? I routinely run up Amex bills bigger than that!

18. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I`ve only spotted one 500 so far, I wonder if they are selling at all or deliveries are taking longer than expect.

19. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Two main issues:

1) Fiat wants to get the Prima Ediziones to their owners first, but that is being delayed because
    2) Many dealers do not yet have their state licenses to sell the Fiat Brand.

Thus the cars are sitting on the lots waiting to be delivered.

Still, some dealers are going ahead and selling non Primas. I guess Fiat couldn't stop them or gave them a waiver.

So, bottom line it is the dealers, not Fiat holding things up.

20. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I found it odd that the 500 is still a rarity on our roads, considering the amount of interest its able to generate.

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My salesman called me this morning as a follow up, said that he's sold 5 cars this week. They're starting to get out there.

22. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    When I canceled my order of #490 I was told by the lady at Fiat that over 120 Prima Ediziones were canceled that week alone. That has to also make you think something isnt right. Why would over 25 percent of the folks that ordered one and could obviously afford one cancel? And to answer the question above why would you lease an 18k car. First of all it isnt 18k. Its 27k out the door with all of the dealer goodies including tax. Second its 10k over the price of one in Europe. So why wouldn't you want to lease? Because you can get one for less than 200 bucks a month on a short term lease and turn it in for the Abarth in 3 years. Now That Pencils....

P.S. here is the new owner of number 490 I canceled my order on Friday and He purchased it cash on an impulse buy the very next day. Now he has buyers remorse and wants to turn it and is stuck. The dealer charged 20300 plus 1800 for a 100k warranty and another 2000 for some fancy lojack system.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2283838069.html

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Number 308 was just under $21k out the door for me with tax, tag, title, and doc fee.

24. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Same here. These tales of woe seem not to be the norm. Most everyone I have heard from paid a reasonable price and is happy as a pig in ****. Will always be outliers, though, no surprise.

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Slop rolling pig here. :D