Trapped in my ZR1 | FerrariChat

Trapped in my ZR1

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by leead1, Apr 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I closed the door and the door locked and would not open. The car would not start. I was trapped!

I called 911 and the police came quickly thankfully. Once the officer assured himself that ilt was a car problem and not a idiot driver problem. He nor I could not figure out what to do.

He called the chevy dealership. They recommended I get out of the seat and crawl to the back of the ZR! and pull the emergency tag. It is not a pretty sight to see a fat, 65 yr old man crawling to the back of the car. Well I did and the trunk opened.

That was this morning and the ZR1 is sold, gone out of my life. Took it to the dealer that helped me and sold it cold and flat. It is still in my garage I am not going near it. They will have to come to my home and get it out of my garage.

Thank god for the police and the chevy dealer. Boo for GM.

What a stupid system to put onto a car. Just think , if my garage door was closed not open and I did not have a cell phone and my wife just left for Vermont It could have been alot worse.

No more cars for me with automatic door lock systems. FYI the officer said his captian had the same problem with his Corvette.

If I find out the root cause I will post here. The car is only 2 years old.

Lee

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's amazing. I have never heard of that before.

I think these new Merc gullwings have explosive bolts on the doors if the car gets upside down.

I'm thinking.... any door that needs to be removed by explosive bolts in an emergency is NOT for ME!

Glad you're OK Lee. Luckily, you have plenty of other cool cars to use as a back up!

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Sorry to hear man but there are ways out of the car.

I don't have my C6 anymore but I seem to remember a pull cable near the seat?

RMX

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    interesting that it's a known problem....

5. REMIX

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The 2009 vette does not have pull cables near the seat. The new vette I looked at in the dealership had door open cables on the passenger side. This year did not have it.

The only pull cable is at the very back of the car. Trust me it is a ***** to squirm out of the seat then crawl back there. This is how i got out.

Lee

7. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #7 SSNISTR, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    FYI all C6's have emergency door releases. The '09 ZR1 has one next to the seat, I've seen it myself. It is a law, GM wouldn't have a choice FYI.

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I was going to write you a crsip post but I thought I should look first and you are correct.
    Funny the dealer did not know about the manual door switch. Even when talking to the Police officer who came to my aid. I looked everywhere before calling them. In my defence The garage is dark and the switch therefore hard to see. I did look in the glove box for a manual before calling the police.

I must admit I do not even have a manual. The dealer told me the car was so new it was still in printing. I was lucky to get the first ZR1. I had to get my friends at GM who is director of the performance division find one and lock it in for me.

One of the bad aspects of having so many cars is reading the manuals. I only use them for reference never read them completly as I did when I had a car for two.

Thank you for pointing that out for me. :)

Lee

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Yes the other poster was kind enough to tell me where it is.

Makes sense as you write that the federal Gov requires an emergency release.

Thank you for posting :)

Lee

10. REMIX

Not trying to give you a hard time. I get two measly cars at most, so I have LOTS AND LOTS of time to figure out what stuff does, read manuals, etc. :)

But you cannot really blame this on GM. The C6 does not have a traditional door handle outside and that's mainly for aesthetics (and I suppose aerodynamics, too). If you let a C6 sit too long without a trickle charger, the battery WILL die. Its electronics are always on "standby", so there's a small draw on the battery at all times. When you get locked OUT is when the fun begins. No pull straps, only a key cylinder above the license plate that gets loaded with dirt and sand and may or may not work if it isn't cleaned occasionally.

I sure wouldn't sell a fantastic car like that over this, though.

BTW, there are worse things - like flipping a Diablo on its roof and trying to get out! :)

RMX

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    GM is not at fault :) I keep all of my 14 cars on battery tenders while in storage. I pull a car out drive it a few days and get something else. The only car I keep on charge is the Ferrari 458 because the dealer suggested I do that.

I suspect I have a battery problem . car battery or key flob. Surprising for a 2 year old car.

To your point I may rethink selling it. If is a very cabable car. I think it handles as good as the 458 and a bit quicker.

Did you really flip a Diable? I looked at trading in my 2010 Galardo convertible for a Diablo. I loved the sound.

Lee

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The car I am looking at to repelace the ZR1 is a Comaro. The car is one of the 500 Chevy made as company tuners.

It is a high performance V8 with a racing suspension. Black and orange and a beautiful car. It is not as capable as the ZR1 vette but not bad. It is called at 575 by chevy. the dealer said it has more hp than 575 and it is dinoed just over 600 hp. The ZR! is posted by GM 635 hp. The Camero while not as quick is a very strong car.

decisions :) Personally I like the Camero looks better than the ZR1. I think the vette design has been around to long and needs to be updated alot.

Lee

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Lee, are you speaking about the upcoming ZL-1 2012 Camaro? If so, I doubt it will handle as well as a ZR-1, as the Camaro is based on the Zeta Platform (Pontiac G8) and the weight will be an issue. Whatever you do, good luck. IMHO, better to wait for the C7 Corvette which will be out in 2013.

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Tony, the Camaro I am looking at as a replacement for the ZR1 is a 575 camero. That is the moniker across the hood. It is not as much sports car as the ZR1 as you point out but it is not bad either.

My thought was it would be different for me untill the new vette comes out in mid 2013.

The pictures of the new vette are stunning. My fear is the production car will not look like the prototype shown at the car shows.

I am still tossing this around in my mind now that I know there is a door open emergency switch thanks to this forum.

Still thinking :) I did not know there was a new 2012 comaro. I will look for pictures

Lee

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    #15 Senna1994, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

Lee, my suggestion is to take a look at the new Road & Track or their website on the factory
    Camaro ZL-1, it has some major changes with a detuned ZR-1 Engine, Magnetic Shocks, Etc.

I don't think the C7 will be as extreme as the Stingray Concept, we should start seeing spy photos by this summer. It will be a C6.5 IMHO with a short run, until the C8 Corvette which will be a true new chassis about 2017 or so. With Akerson at GM though, who knows what will happen. Fortunately, GM has some of the best Engineers and Designers, I just hope they don't go backwards and be run the way Ron Zarella had input in the 90's.

16. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    Lee,

Do you leave the fob inside the ZR1 while it is parked in tha garage? If you donthis is the reason for the dead battery. When the fob is inside the car the accessories drain juice because it thinks it is getting started. Just a thought.

17. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Don't buy American cars built by union workers.

18. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Unforetunately Govt Motors WILL mess up the next Vette. Today's ZR1 & Z06 are a high point in Vette history. Next gen Z06 will have a 5.5 instead of current 7.0 and Bob Lutz is gone.
    That said I love my Z06 & I'll probably add another & a ZR1 to the stable

19. cs s60

cs s60 Karting

May 16, 2005
    PA
    Good God, if the dealer doesn't know about the pull handles, I hope you find a new dealer for future needs!

FWIW, I went almost three weeks without driving my Z06 at one point, and the battery was too dead to start. After that I got a tender for it, and use it if it's more than two weeks between driving.

If you really decide you're not happy with the ZR1, maybe you should keep it until the Camaro ZL1 comes out....just my 2cents:)

20. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    That might not be so bad. The race cars are that size and as I'm sure you know, you don't need big cubes for big power. Not that 5.5L is small anyway. :D I wouldn't worry....

21. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I would strongly suggest passing on the SLP Camaro variant because the car's value will plummet when the ZL1 hits the showrooms.

22. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #22 leead1, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    The good news on the vette, it runs. A Dead battery, I used my jump box and it started right up. I am still not sure why after driving 80 miles one day then the next day has a dead battery?

Great advice guys I really appreciate it. As advised I googled the new Comaro and it is beautiful with flowing lines but less hp. Also because of the advice from poster on this thread I am able to open the doors manual on both sides in addition to the trunk.

Yhis advice you gentlemen are providing is why this forum is so useful. Thanks a bunch!

Lee

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Based on appearance I agree and that is the way I am leaning.

Question: to you and the forum: The new cars coming out, will they have less HP because of the new and lower Milage per gallon standards put in place by the federal Gov?
    It sure seems this way.

If that is the case is it worthwhile to buy the high hp comaro or keep the ZR1 because the newer detroit offerings will be less potent?

Lee

24. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #24 nthfinity, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    The engine is the more 'mass produced' LSA, but will offer more than 560 hp, whereas the current LSA is 556 hp. GM won't announce official HP, but Ford has laid down the gauntlet announcing the 2013 GT500's power numbers.... setting 600+ which was announced about three months ago.

The LS9 features more expensive internals than the LSa, and allows for higher rpm. However, it is a similar engine throughout.

If the LSa isn't enough for you, I can help set you up for a fully warranted power adder from Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. Perhaps starting off with a Base SS is the right car to start off with even.

25. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I was going to let this pass but changed my mind. As a reference I was Vice President of manufacturing for a consumer division of a major company and later international VP of engineering for large well known international corporation.

Union workers in the trades are worth the extra expense because of the 4 year training they must go thru to be come a journyman Electrican or mechanic

But you do make a good point. We have lost so much of our manufacturing base that I fear for the young people, both in jobs and income. How many paper pushers do we need or can we afford.

The problem in my view is "sucess breeds failure". American manufacturing is almost gone.
    I saw and argued at the board room as I watched close to a dozen manufacturing plants and those jobs leave our shores.

The economics are hard to arque. at the time a chineese employee was $50 a month fully loaded with benefits compared to &100K for an American. Also the off shore employees could do simple math and SPC calulations where mostly the American had no interest.

I lived near bowling green KY where Vettes are made and I knew the plant manager at the time. I knew alot of the employees because of a common interest. I am sure they have great employees I just didn't meet any.

Having said that we have some regional pockets eith great people and employees. Great people who know how to run equipment and provide great service to their employer.

On the bright side we are ahead in the world on new technologies like circuit chips, computers, software, apple and MP3 players and so forth.

Sorry to carry on

Lee