348 CEL issue I have not seen before. | FerrariChat

348 CEL issue I have not seen before.

Discussion in '348/355' started by mj_duell, Apr 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 mj_duell, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    O.K. So I am getting the car ready for its first spring run. I have all my new parts in and I am ready to run my relearn. Everything is fine until she goes closed loop. CEL's 1/4 and 5/8 both turn on at around the same time and then the idle turns rough. Give it some throttle and they both clear. Start relearn over after disconnecting the battery, same issue, CEL's 1/4 and 5/8 both turn on at around the same time, pull 02's at the connectors, both CEL's turn off. Now comes the problem. I am almost sure the 02's are bad or dirty or whatever, 1/4 code is 1211, however....I am unable to obtain a code from the 5/8 bank and this is repeatable! If I press the button on the ECU and hold it when I release nothing happens. The 5/8 CEL stays lit but never starts to flash. If I turn off the car and then turn the key to run and try it does the same thing. I am hoping this is not a sign of a bad ECU. Any Ideas?

--Mike

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I have on my flame suit, so I'm going to tell you what I would do if it were my car. Mind you, only if it were my car and I was totally responsible for the result. I'd do this....

I'd get in the thing, warm it up, drive to an unpopulated area, and if it's not bucking, popping and farting, run it up near the redline in as many gears as possible. Then I'd go home and let it relearn. It's probably just sleepy or has gas.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ohh, I like that.

4. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Will do, lol. She does need a bit of a wake up.

--Mike

5. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    I had both cels come on simultaneously just once - happened just after a liberal washing. Could it be a water short?

Bruce - you are an f-tech poet.

6. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Has been washed in months and it hasn't gotten wet. I remembered last night I had a problem like this when I first got the car three years ago. After letting it sit most of the winter the 02's went bad or got dirty due to bad gas maybe. The car runs good even with the CEL's. I'm going to go out and give it a tank of good fuel and a good spanking and then see what happens ;) As for the stuck CEL light on 5/8, that still bothers me.

7. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    #7 troy_wood, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    Hopefully the hot supper will fix you.

If it's still on, I wouldnt take a 5/8 bank approach to diagnosis. The fact the illumination of both cels precipitates the event would make me want to look for an issue higher up in the electrical food chain.

You and I share a similar winter climate with huge temperature and humidity fluctuations within short periods of time. My wiring harness just hates it, I have fought so many electrical connector related CELs in the last few years. First startup this year, turned key and nothing for 5 seconds, then vroom and no problem since (contacts just had to burn through that fine film of corrosion).

I'm sure the gold kit will help and budget will soon allow it...

8. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I've seen bad gas and a weak battery do this...............

9. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Figured it out last week while messing around near the drivers side ECU. The white 6 pin plug next too the ECU was loose. I unplugged it and cleaned it. Now the CEL's are showing for the 5/8 bank....when there is CEL's that is.

--Mike

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Glad to know you found it Mikey.

But what is weird is, how in the heck does that explain the other lights??????

11. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh, I don't know if you read my other thread. I found to stupid things I did ...at least relating too 1211. The 4121 went away all by its self after switching cat ecu's from side to side, lol. I had left the gas cap very loose after I bled the pressure from the system and never tightened it back up and I failed to tighten one of the air pump hoses on the 5/8 side, lol. :D. I was so fixated on the wiring I did not catch the problem until the morning after we talked, lol. All is well now though. Hey, Thanks again for all the phone support. It really helped a lot.

--Mike

12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Hop in, let's go for an Italian tune up!!! :D