The new guy, a fellow Canadian with a few questions before I pull the trigger | FerrariChat

The new guy, a fellow Canadian with a few questions before I pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deep River, Apr 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Deep River

Deep River Rookie

Apr 11, 2011
    Niagara
    Hello, found this site years ago, spent many hours on it, but this will be my first post. I have been a true Ferrari enthusiast for as long as I can remember I had 308 posters on my wall while everyone else had the Countach. But everything changed a couple of years ago when on a number of occasions I had the opportunity to drive a friends 360 coupe with a tubi, what an experience, a car with a soul. So here I am a few years later with my wifes consent looking to join the club. I have saved the money and am getting ready to make the purchase. 360 spider is my first choice without a doubt, closely followed by a coupe. To be fair I will admit to have looked at Gallardos, R8s, 911 turbo and even a NSX. My question for you, where do I start? I live in the Niagara region and frequent the GTA often, can anyone recommend a reputable dealer, that will sell me a excellent condition, well maintained car? I have been watching cars in US (not to mention or strong dollar )as well and am no stranger to importing a car up here, brought a Viper a few years ago. So if anyone knows a reputable importer as well, or possibly of a good local car coming up for sale, let me know. I wonder if the strong dollar and the possibility of not needing to pay for the recall letter is going drop prices? I am hoping to purchase by late May, early June. I look forward to any advice/ comments you may have, cheers.

2. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Welcome!

I imported my 360 Spider from the US in 2008. James Simpson helped me source the car, vet it and ship and import it. I suggest you give him a call or DM him on this board. There may have been some changes to the clearance recall letter issues that have been an expensive pain previously.

The US market has a much greater selection of cars and options. When I was shopping, the Canadian market for 360s was pretty dry, and those that were available were WAY more $ than an equivalent US car.

PM me if you want more info.
    Mark

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Welcome to F-Chat !!

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome to FChat, and good luck in your search - that is a dynamite model, by the way, that you are targeting (especially as a first Ferrari)

5. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    Richard at Motion Endeavours always has top notch vehicles.

6. Deep River

Deep River Rookie

Apr 11, 2011
    Niagara
    Thanks for all the advice, for those of you in Southern Ontario, where do you take your car for service?

7. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    Daytona in woodbridge for me.

Come to the Italian Car Day...www.italiancarday.ca and you will meet everyone and all shops/vendors etc....the best place to learn and of course see them all.

8. Deep River

Deep River Rookie

Apr 11, 2011
    Niagara
    Will make sure I have August 27th booked off work. I just booked a "Dream drive" with GTA exotics (Actually a gift from my wife) will get some good seat time (5 hrs) in the both the 360 spider and a Gallardo, along with a few other cars.

9. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.

Welcome to FerrariChat. It'll be nice to see a new exotic in the Niagara region, when you've made your purchase!

10. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    #10 niklas, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    Welcome to F-Chat. If you're going to go the route of importing a car, and have any questions or just need someone to take care of all the work for you, then I'll second what P1-EH said. James Simpson is your guy. He does great work. I'd send him a pm over the site, or contact him on his website and go from there.

You can find his info here: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=21273

Good luck in your search. Mine starts very soon :)