Again with aftermarket Seats for 3x8s. | FerrariChat

Again with aftermarket Seats for 3x8s.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Auraraptor, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Anyone here with a set? I am trying to fig out if Sparco Milanos will fit in my 328, but its kind of, well difficult.

I need to know someone I can contact who will be very knowledgable on this.

This is what I have so far (Special thanks to Slag for help with the values!)
    3x8s have about a seat that looks to be about 18" at its widest, the door sill means that you have anywhere from 18-20 inches, depending on how high off the floor the seat acutally bolts (due to rails etc) and the car has an approx. 35" roofheight.

I am looking at seats that are 19.3" wide and 35.43" tall. I am assuming that any type of rail system that is needed to install the seats will only add to the overall height.

This makes me wonder...How does/did anyone put aftermarket seats in a 3x8 in the first place? Most of the seats I see are just about or taller then 35, and the narrowest are slightly over 18"! :/

2. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Hmm seems I need car specific rails, but none are listed on their website.

Anyone with where I can turn?

3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    what about any of the members with track cars , surely there must be a way to install other seats with out butchering the floors.my opionion would b to have the rails welded up by a metal shop. thatw ay you can use the existing holes in the floor and pick up the new fastner location holes in the new seats when you get them. you can also control the height of the rails and the rake of the seats as needed. forward and aft adjustability may be another matter since you would have to use solid rails. dont flame me but would seat rails from say a toyota mr2, fiero ect with similar interior dimensions give you a starting point??? sorry for my rambling, just trying to evoke another point of view or spawn some new ideas. michael

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I installed 348 seats in mine. I used the 348 rails, and made adapter plates from 1/4" aluminum. I drilled and counter sunk the plates for flat head screws and it worked well, although some of the screws were a bit difficult to reach and tighen. The seats are about an inch wider than 308 seats, so they are snug, but do fit. The one thing to really watch out for is the seating hieght. 308s are low, I think I'm sitting about 1/2" taller in the 348 seats and it makes a difference in head space. The backs of the seats are also taller, but they don't even come close to being a problem, I think you need to worry about that.

Is there a shop that stocks the seat you are interested in? You could remove your passenger seat and take a ride over and just try it, that way you would know for sure. Or will the mail order place take them back if they don't fit?..although you'd be out the shipping, maybe buy 1 first. The rails will almost certainly need some custom work. If they have pictures in the catolog it helps, or just pick a set for a car that is likely to have a pretty flat floor, like another ferrari or maybe a corvette then modify them to work for you.