Turning 33 in 3 weeks... | FerrariChat

Turning 33 in 3 weeks...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by G-Car-Man, Feb 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    I am turning 33 in a few weeks and recently noticed that I am 'spinning my wheels' so to speak. I notice that I am spending way too much time in the local bars and less time on myself and my relationships. I am interested in art (collect leonard baskin), watches (currently nothing over 4k), cars (C5 which I am getting rid of to get a 328) and dining out... What is a good hobby that I can get into at 33?? I do not want to spend more than 5-10k to start up... Any ideas?! Thanks guys!

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Model cars, or golf, or racing.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Maximize your "Start up" resources and make your hobby real estate (one purchase per year...minimum). When you're 50, you will thank me for this direction. I got this advice from someone I look up to 7 years ago. Im 39 now and am VERY happy I listened.

Pay it forward.

DL

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    god choice. Theres alot of money to be had in the Real Estate field if you knwo what your doing.

5. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Real Estate is a great idea, I think I will have to get out of Boston to do it though; prices are through the roof... Are you investing in single or multifamily homes? Any good links to get started? Do you work with brokers or do you do all the work yourself? Thanks!

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    A combination of both residential and commercial. I have a broker that takes direction from me. TAKE THE FIRST STEP NOW in order to develop a track record and a higher rating. The key is recognizing opportunity and the resources to act swiftly and decisively.

DL

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

33?

you lucky (and young) bastard!

lol!!

pcb

8. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Like I said before... I feel older than I am right now; need some direction... Any thoughts are more than welcome!

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Don't laugh, but how about a family? not having kids or anything but get married maybe?

10. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    I eventually want to have children but I am not ready for that yet... I have been dating the same girl for over ayear now and am seriously considering proposing this summer. Even if married with kids I would like to improve myself with a new hobby... Good escape from the day in day out routine...

11. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Darth's advice is sage.

Other hobbies to consider: Golf, tennis, billiards, cycling, climbing, scuba, or for the epicure in you try wine or cigars.

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    My biggest hobby is/are my cars. You can do alot to your car to tweet it up without getting to the point that you cannot easily revert to OEM. For me 1/2 the fun is trying to figure out what is best and then how to adapt it to work in our cars. Then when it does work, I can take comfort in the fact that I made sure myself that it will work, does work, and is good for our cars.

Its not too expensive if you pace yourself properly. Best of luck!

13. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    My hobby is carstuff. Its not a profitable hobby, but it doesn't really cost that much either-well, after you pay for the cars ;)

14. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I second the real estate idea, buy as many rentals as you can, start at one a year but increase that number as your experience/funds/confidence grows. Just buy homes that have had decent tenants for a couple years and go from there, I like multifamily or commercial, not SFH. If you don't like doing repairs (a good hobby in itself) get a management company, sure it costs something, but the point in this type of strategy is leveraged equity accumulation and appreciation, not monthly cashflow (although it should be positive). When you're 55, sell it all or cash out and enjoy life.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Cycling. It's one of the best things that you can do. Not only does it help you get fitter and enjoy your days more but it helps you gain an appreciation for solitude, work, and your surrounding environment.

16. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    How about R/C cars, planes or boats? they are fun, fast and not too expensive. My company supports this industry at www.performancedevices.com.

SCUBA? I have a BC & Reg that I would sell you real cheap! Take your classes in a local pool and travel to a warm location for your open water certifiction.

Staying on FChat and beating up DES-NNO-CARBEE McCOY! This has been a fun pastime shared by all at FChat that love the guy! (See the thread 'Can DES be our boy for 2004")

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I would have to agree with both Darth about the real estate. I have been working the realestate market since i was 25 and have been just improving and improving my life one house at a time.

And as for a recreational Hobby R/C as Peter stated can be a blast. :)

18. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    If you are near water, sailing is a great sport and hobby. It's something you can do for leisure or get as competitive as your skills will take you. You can share your time with others involving family or friends. If you want to stay under $10K consider a time share or partial ownership to start, or maybe even stick with dingies for a while. A good daysailor that is safe and not a total slug is a Flying Scot. I've sailed these singlehanded or you can load them up for a party. Or if you are into speed, Hobie Cats are fun but a lot more wet. I've personally towed a kneeboarder with my Hobie 18. If you need something larger, look for an older glass boat, Islanders or Ericksons can be had under $15K for boats under 28 feet. Nothing like a hot cup of coffee served on deck in the morning with the fog just lifting in a small harbor. The time share or partial ownership route can get you into newer and larger boats and can help you get out of the maintence aspects.

Just my 2 cents
    Steve