Anyone with a stock exotic want to race an LS1 Miata? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone with a stock exotic want to race an LS1 Miata?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by 1SIKZ31, Apr 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
  2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    a good lap should take well less than 1:30 so 5 minutes is plenty.

Yes or no?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    oh man, you really think someone on this thread might have an exotic? I don't think so, 10% is pretty generous of you.

4. Buggin

Buggin Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    Farmersville, TX
    Full Name:
    die langsame
    #29 Buggin, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    This is how the offer should have been made by the OP.

If you have built the Miata for Solo, I dont understand why you would want to race a 30 hit, or a drag on the highway.

I recognize that you have built your car yourself, and I congratulate you for your endeavor. Regardless of how misguided I feel the path you took to be. Personally, I think that adding a V8 to that car is the lazy way of improving performance. I would rather stick to the original formula of reduce weight, and make more efficient. There is a reason why the larger displacement engines made in America are weaker than the smaller displacement engines made in Europe.

btw, I will freely admit that I do not own an exotic, but, I will also freely admit that nothing built in any driveway has a chance at upsetting the establishment of current exotics.
    Unless the race is a simple drag.
    Which proves nothing other than power to weight.

5. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #30 AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe I could haul out the old roadster and give it a whirl. It only likes to run in straight lines and is a pure American big block. 7.72 et, 191 mph quarter mile.........
    Oh wait, I sold that one some years ago.............All I have now is my wimpy, stock Miata that is a lot of fun to drive..............
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Hmmm, it looked like it wanted to come around on you pretty good on that last lap. But then I guess you might have been attempting to hit it a little harder too. But you did sorta lose it a few times........

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That is one great looking Miata and I can appreciate such frankenstein swaps and it must be one hell of a blast to drive so kudos on those points.

8. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #33 LamboLover, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    That's hard to believe when you're posting videos all over LS1Tech from your runs in Mexico.
    That's why you attend the meets, right? That's why you were at UTI this past Monday?

I'm sorry, but judging by your posting history on other websites, you're not being completely honest with anyone here. You want to race an exotic on here so you can go running back to LS1Tech after you've thrown it up on YouTube.

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Big Rick researching big time and supplying data, kudo's!!

10. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I gotta say I watched the video twice and am very impressed. To hear that exhaust ( awesome) from a Miata is startling. Nice job, especially since it appears it was a personal endeavor.
    I for one would enjoy seeing it on MSR. Rob, you still have your 355 track car?

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Where's Phil? Lets get that GT out. 2 big American V8's howling down the road.

I'd race the op, but his miata with a stock engine would probably beat my Ferrari.....

12. MAXIMUM810

MAXIMUM810 Karting

Oct 25, 2004
    You should probably find some bikes to run like many Supra owners do. :)

13. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I don't see an upside to this race. Hey I beat a Miata, woot.

I like Keith's offer.

14. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I actually love Miatas - I have about 6 track and race versions. I drove a friend's 5.0 Ford conversion and the V8 swap was great and the car still handled.

My offer stands and I'm serious. I am at MSR frequently and this would be fun and convenient for me. Plus I don't compete on public roads, so its MSR, ECR or Ennis in this area, and I am not interested in drag racing, as that really does not show what a well-rounded car can do and certainly is not the true venue for an exotic.

But this one went radio silence after my offer with an unfortunate, but predictable, excuse: overheating.

Problem is the excuse does not hold water. A hot MSR Lap can be done about as fast as an A-X run, so overheating is no excuse. Hell, the brakes on my G and Z will be toast after 5 laps max, but I can still get in a good lap before that happens.

15. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Here's a video of a F430 and a V8 Miata street racing - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1OO8GGgwZs[/ame]

16. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
  17. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    A fine example of what I would not do

18. 1SIKZ31

1SIKZ31 Rookie

Jun 6, 2008
    Kverges, sounds like you have tons of experience with MSR and track days in general, and I would not be surprised if you beat me at MSR with a measly 200hp car... I have my share of about 10 autox's on my belt and lots of "street fun" but I do not classify myself as a professional. I believe I'm a 5 on a 10 point scale to a professional... In my
    Opinion, of course.

Anyway, running a MSR track day would be absolutely a blast!
    I am going to be purchasing a v8 roadsters radiator and fan/shroud assembly which have been PROVEN to work on a track with 5+ minute sessions...another month and I'll afford that.

I think I may be racing a Ferrari 458 ITALIA here in a few days (maybe a week) so we will see how I do... I can't state who it is exactly though... Its going to be a drag race, probably from a 40 roll. I'll make sure to have my 100 shot armed and ready, lol.

Oh and yes, racing a Ferrari and getting on film would be absolutely BAD ASS, yes I would show my friends, yes I will post it on YouTube, no I wont think I'm hot ****...

I attend the Ricekiller meets because it is FUN to do and I love to socialize and answer people's questions about my car and look at other down to earth builds, nothing more nothing less.

19. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    ... Oh

That kind of changes the entire situation

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  21. 1SIKZ31

1SIKZ31 Rookie

Jun 6, 2008
    5:1 power to weight ;)

22. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #47 It's Ross, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    Traction problem??
    I think you'll get takers for a road course duel and maybe a standing start drag but a race tailored to a crude overpowered lightweight car........
    How about from a 150 roll?
    EDIT; I like your car, the crude referrence wasn't meant as a slam but just a factual statement, crude but effective I like to say.
    10 AXs don't make you half way to a professional racer either. There are rank amatuers here likely to humiliate you in far less powerful machinery, be careful what you wish for.

23. Buggin

Buggin Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    Farmersville, TX
    Full Name:
    die langsame
    #48 Buggin, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Bravo sir. Call it like it is.
    Glad I'm not the only one willing to call a duck a duck.

You should look up the video of a VW Beetle (air-cooled) beating a 430 in a 1/4mi drag.
    (on a track, NOT the street)

I love it. I think that may be my next tattoo...

(btw.. 10 solo events only means you know how to read the cones without a walkthrough, and know to bring another set of tires along with your cooler and lawn chair)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. 1SIKZ31

1SIKZ31 Rookie

Jun 6, 2008
    I gave myself a random number...
    In all reality I'm a 2/10... If that. Lol.

I consider myself a better than average car enthusiast "driver"...

25. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I love how ricers never consider themselves ricers even though everyone else does....