F355 for a first Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 for a first Ferrari

Discussion in '348/355' started by TexasKid, Apr 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol...Bob, I like that metaphor :)

2. let's play

let's play Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    This thread has been very informative. I have been lurking a while and love the 355. Especially useful is the unfortunate repair information with costs associated, very real info that most folks don't want to share. $20k in service would break the bank, but is it a reality or just a long shot? A engine/outdrive in our boat would set us back $20k+ easy but it doesn't keep us from boating. Keep up with all the great info.

What is the feedback on St. Charles Motorsports an independant in Northern Illinois?
    Who would you use for a PPI in N. IL?

thanks
    cale

3. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    $20k is starting to get into rebuild territory. I had a $15k service but it was totally self inflicted because we replaced headers, cats, hoses, motor mounts, etc. Almost all of those were one time expenses so I expect my next major will be well under $10k unless I start messing with suspension upgrades :)

4. aluthman

aluthman Rookie

Jun 22, 2010
    #29 aluthman, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. tchaic

tchaic Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris M.....
    355 was my first Ferrari and the maintenance kicked my ass. I made the mistake of not buying a well sorted car thinking the discount price I received would make up for 30k service. Owned car two years and it was always a nightmare even after $15,000 major service by Ferrari of Orlando. Best advice is what has been said before: PPI and buy the best car you can afford. Cheap Ferrari's are not cheap in the end. But when it ran right it was all worth it!

6. tchaic

tchaic Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris M.....
    355 was my first Ferrari personally though I did own an 85 Mondial for a few months in one of my businesses. Now that car was a blast to drive, seemed very reliable, and looked great. I know many would laugh at saying a Mondial better then a 355 but for me it was.

7. jefflynch

jefflynch Rookie

Sep 6, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeff Lynch
    I've had my '97 355 Spider since November. I have already experienced the highs/lows of owning this fabulaous car. Driving it is an unbelievable experience. However, the thing that I'm quickly learning (and really already knew) is that unless you can/want to handle minor repairs (window bracket broke, both seat pots broke) the costs you will incur ($80-100 per hour for an independent mechanic) can add up quickly. I have already spent at least $4500 (for the above repairs, plus new AM cats). The car is currently at the shop having the top sorted out (could it possibly be any more poorly designed) and the remaining sticky parts addressed. The valve guides have been done TWICE on this car (they were done incorrectly be a Ferrari dealership the first time and were done again by the previous owner after the PPI I initiated ($14,000+). The manifolds are original (the car has 25,000 miles on it) but appear to be in good shape. The body and interior are otherwise perfect. My car is swatters blue with tan interior...gorgeous!

Having said all that, I wouldn't change a thing. I feel like the car is well sorted, it runs like a champ, and I think I'll be buried in it.

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No thanks, but instead I'll take whoever is wearing it :D

9. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name: