5000 GT #022...... | FerrariChat

5000 GT #022......

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Apr 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ......received a Mexico coachwork for its Mexican owner in the early 60s.

This we know.

But now some questions remain. What really happened?

Version A
    The 5000 GT #022 came back to Italy for a repair of an accident it suffered in Mexico.
    A new "Mexico"-style body was fitted on the frame of the car that was re-numbered #022 and found back its way to Mexico.

Question here: why was the car re-numbered when it still had its original 5000 GT-chassis?

Version B:
    The 5000 GT #022 came back to Italy for a repair of an accident it suffered in Mexico.
    Here the owner fall in love with the Mexico-style car that was displayed in Turin 1965. The Mexican owner of the 5000GT #022 purchased it and convinced the Maserati chaps to stamp the VIN of his 5000GT #103.022 on the frame of this "Mexico" to avoid import-taxes in his homeland.

Question here: what happened then with the original but damaged 5000GT #103.022?
    If its still existing do we have then 2 "original" 5000 GT with the VIN #103.022?

Anybody?

Ciao!
    Walter

2. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Walter,
    Regarding the version A story; I don't understand the "re-numbering part". If it was originally the #022, and remained #022 after getting a new Mexico-style body, why do you call it "re-numbered"? Am I missing out on something here...`?

Version B is intriguing....

Cheers,
    Gabriel

3. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Version B was fairly common for Lamborghini and Ferrari of the time. The good old days.

I also am confused by version A.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Gabriel,
    thats exactly what confused me also - but this version I also found published by some sources.
    I strongly believe Version B - but what happened then with the 5000GT #022? Was this car also given a new VIN by the Factory? If not, then we have 2 different cars with the same VIN.

Ciao!
    Walter

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Walter
    So what you are saying I'd 103.022 was renumber as 4506 and sold as new! :)

Joe

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Joe,
    this has nothing to do with the thread I started.....

But if you still indicating on this: since #4506 showed up in the US #4505 was never seen again....

Ciao!
    Walter

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Walter,
    It was a joke, notice the :).

Joe

8. 1Hurthutoy15

1Hurthutoy15 Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    President Lopez purchased 022 in 1961. This car did in fact exist as the Allemano. Jerry wood mentioned seeing the car when he was living in Mexico. I am assuming after the accident it may have been shipped back to the factory or maybe not???
    I spoke to Adolfo Orsi and he mentioned that 022 was re bodied as a mexico. if that was the case then why would they use a mexico v8 engine?what happened to the factory 5.0L allemano engine and 4 speed trans? I saw 022 several times when it was stored at HMI with owner Alex Penkoff. Alex mentioned that he was personally asked to work on the car by the family.later he purchased the car an imported it in California where it sat outside among other dead Maseratis. From what I understand the speculation goes that the Mexico prototipo was shipped to Mexico under chassis number 022 to avoid duty tax?I guess this would make the re-entry of the car an easy one for President Lopez. The interesting thing is that in 1962 President Lopez purchased 042.I have a copy of the original bill of sale and invoice number. The crazy thing was that 042 was reentered in Mexico using chassis and vin plates from F250 2525.I am assuming this was another way to avoid duty tax?
    Later Jerry wood purchased 042 and it made it's way back to California.
    I would say that most allemanos are accounted for except for 1 or 2.There is one Allemano with unknown VIN in Oklahoma but the owner won't give me any info on the car.very secretive about it.
    Jacques

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Jacques,
    thanks for clearifing this.

Engine #022 was located for many years in Germany owned by Peter Kaus. He sold the engine and his entire collection to The Netherland. From there the engine was sold to the UK.

Ciao!
    Walter

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Did he at least show you the Certificate of Live Build Sheet? :)

Joe

11. 1Hurthutoy15

1Hurthutoy15 Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    Only photos were available showing the typical 5000gt gauges/dash and 5000gt scripts. The funny thing is that the car was advertised in the Hemmings motornews as a Maserati mexico prototype and when he went there to instpect it, it turned out to be a 5000gt but he won't give me the serial number. This same person owns over 200 plus cars from Miuras to Gullwings and rare Rolls Royces. he is just very secretive about his cars.some of his car are parked in sea containers and the front doors are blocked with large boulders. Very strange....

Jacques

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oklahoma or upper NY state? Hmmmm I've heard this sort of story before. Sound familiar Joe?

13. 1Hurthutoy15

1Hurthutoy15 Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    Car is in Oklahoma and the onner in NY.I think you might be on the right track but I wouldn't mentioned his name on the forum.

Jacques

14. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Mexico prototype for sale -> http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/maserati/415296-1965-maserati-mexico-prototype-vignale-1-of-1-103022-not-5000gt.html

Please note that I have no interest in sale of the car but I was contacted few days ago about the history of the Mexico prototype by Vignale. I believe that this example was not seen on the road for a long time... It deverses a very nice restoration. It is one a the few "one-off" made by Maserati. Exhibited at the 1965 Turin Motor Show and 1966 Geneva Motor Show then shipped to Mexico.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login