Poll - 458 Spider - Which do you want, Soft Top or Folding Hard Top? | FerrariChat

Poll - 458 Spider - Which do you want, Soft Top or Folding Hard Top?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Wolfgang1756, Apr 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang1756

Wolfgang1756 Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    Myself I really, really hope it has the traditional cloth soft top, but I am hearing more and more rumours about it having a flimsy hard top that somehow manages to make its way behind the seats!

What would your preference be?

2. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    If they can make a retractable hard top out of carbon or something else very light and keep the stiffness of the coupe and not add weight it would be nice. If they can't keep the weight down for a retractable hard top (which are usually very heavy) then give me the lighter option of the cloth top.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I really don't care as long as it's not some kind of bastardized targa. It has to be a true spider with no window or part of the roof behind you when the top is down.

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Bob, I think you will be very happy with the results.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #5 TheMayor, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    Darn. I guess I'll have to buy one then! :)

I'm going to drive a 458 this weekend in Vegas.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Bob, you will love it, really an incredible car.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Don't tell me things like that! :)

I'm leaving the F430 home. I don't want it to be jealous.

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I drove the 458 and right after my 430, when I say the driving experience is a huge improvement on the newer car, it is an understatement. Everything feels faster with much tighter tolerances. It feels faster the more you push it, with that incredible gearbox and steering that almost seems too quick. In all respects a huge jump.

9. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    Where's a poll when you need one? :)

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    According to the 458 coupe manual there's an unused fuse for hard top node pump F-03 - I wonder what that means !

11. Kurt RSF

Kurt RSF Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    So if the 458 gets a retractable hardtop, does this mean it will only come way in the future, like a Mercedes SL?

12. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    My understanding is that it will be at the Frankfurt motorshow in September, delivers mid 2012? And it will be a hardtop for sure, countless times it has been reported by people "in the know"

13. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

I know we've beaten this topic to death but my question is, where do we surmise the hardtop will retract to? Behind seats?

14. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    It's a hardtop with no more window for the engine, period.

15. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Skip the folding hard top or soft top, I want a targa top. Lose the complexity, you dont add unnecessary weight, and it looks great.

16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Was gonna make the same statement. Glad i checked all post first.

Just add a gate shifter and lose a few pounds and this thing may become a real Ferrari one day.

17. lipscomb

lipscomb Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Ca.
    Full Name:
    Lee
    It amazes me that they have been so successful keeping a lid( no pun intended ) on the way they plan to open this thing up.I plan to get one no matter, but I sure am getting tired of waiting for the car. I'm afraid the spy photo's will be out on the 458 replacement by the time I get mine home.

You have to think they are testing a prototype some place. How can they keep this such a secret?

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #18 TheMayor, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    A targa is just an overgrown sunroof. In fact, it's worse because it's a hassle to put on, take off, and store.

A true convertible removes the roof, windows, and C pillars. People who want targa's really want coupes with a hole in the roof. I'm fine with that... but its not a convertible. I've owned a 308 GTSi and an X 1/9. Neither did anything for me that my Alfa and Fiat spiders did when it comes to excitment with the roofs off.

If they want me to buy one, it has to be a convertible. I want to hear that engine, intake, and exhaust right behind me while the wind blows through and the sun shines on my face. I want the profile of the car to change completely to be sleek, slim, and sexy.

If you want to run the car on the track and squeeze every last of perfomance out of it, buy a coupe. For those who have other ideas on how to enjoy it, give us our convertibles.

19. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Normally perhaps. But in the case of the 458 there's a fair chance you'd be compromising, or possibly even losing, just about the best part of the design which is where the roof sweeps down into the back end.

20. lipscomb

lipscomb Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Ca.
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I don't think any type of Targa design is in the works otherwise the car would be out by now since the engineering would be so much easier. On the other hand so would the abillity to keep it a secret.

I had the 308,328 and 430 and I liked them all.The 430 was the best since you had the roll over humps both protecting you and keeping the wind off the back of your head. This is also a sleek design and has the open air feeling of a convertible. Ihave always been a convertible fan but you get beat up pretty good if it's flat behind the seats all the way to the rear.I don't think a pop- up roll bar is the answer either.They don't have to reinvent the wheel here just get it done so we can get out there before we get too old.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #21 TheMayor, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

And that's why I haven't decided on one yet. I could also make the same argument about the 360/430 coupe conversion to a spider.

I want to see what they come up with. The F430 spider is such a great car, it has to be a great design for me to spend that much money to get the 458. There is no way I would trade a F430 spider for a 458 coupe or 458 targa. They made too good a car in the F430 for me to make that jump.

22. lipscomb

lipscomb Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Ca.
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Not to stress about it you will be getting one. Bye the way, on another matter, I sent you a PM. I hope you got it as computers are not my strong suit.

23. CarreraCaballo

CarreraCaballo Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    Full Name:
    Y.F.A
    As long as the chapeau is compact and light, I wouldn't care what material it is made up of,
    the 458 Spyder MUST stay faithful to the beautiful lines of its ancestors (360 & 430) ;)

Main thing it wouldn't get a similar High A** to that of a Peugeot 308 CC & Spinsters :( :D

Greetz,

Joseph