Does anyone in the midwest track their car, and where??? | FerrariChat

Does anyone in the midwest track their car, and where???

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Apex, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Apex

Apex Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Just curious...

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There are several great places:
    - Blackhawk (see picture) North of Chicago
    - Road America in WI
    - Putnam Park in Indy
    - Gingerman in MI

And starting next fall the Autobahn Club South of Chicago

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Apex
    We have the FCA Central States Track Weekend coming up; Gingerman May 14 - 16, 2004. You can see www.fcacentralstates.org look under "events" for more details. We usually get an interesting assortment of cars including the odd Daytona, a 333SP, an F40 and a collection of 328/308/355/360s.

In addition to Andreas's list, the other tracks in the Midwest are Grattan (MI) and Mid-Ohio (OH).

My 2 cents:
    - RA is quick but unforgiving in a couple of areas
    - Gingerman is forgiving, and in a great location "to learn"
    - Blackhawk is tight, can be hard on brakes and mostly forgiving

I have not driven the other 3 tracks but am told Grattan has a nice off camber section and MO is supposed to be terrific but a long ride for anyone in the Chicago region.
    HTH
    Philip

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure I'd call Blackhawk 'forgiving'. Many trees and often not much of a run off area. Beautiful track though.

Gingerman defnitely is forgiving.

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I agree. After driving Blackhawk last fall on a wet track covered in even wetter leaves, "forgiving" wasn't really the description that came to mind.

Andreas, is that a green Esprit behind you?

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Blackhawk covered with wet leaves? Oh my goodness, that could make for a Black day...

Yes, it is an Esprit. Relatively new one at that. Continental allowed a few non Ferraris into the field. The Esprit owner is a very nice guy with lots of track experience. Nevertheless he picked the slower group I was in as he didn't want to push the car too hard. It was sweet and not long behind me...

The picture is btw courtesy of Bob Campen.

7. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Putnam Park is where the Indy car teams practice so I understand it is in good shape, although I haven't been on it. I am surprised more folks don't use it, but the Indy chapter of FCA doesn't have a track event. We usu just do road trips, sometimes very fast road trips.

8. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Check this out, it is the only track event that I know of with Ferrari club (albeit unofficially) involved. See you there.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Y'all need to head a little South for some good Midwest track driving. I've only driven Heartland Park, but it's a great track. I would consider Hallett in Oklahoma more a southern track, but that is one awesome track. One of Paul Newman's favorites. I heard the new http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/ track by Omaha is really good.

10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Andreas, I don't want to split hairs but I said "mostly" forgiving...

Jack, I find any track in the wet is a bit of a nightmare. I have run RA, Blackhawk and Gingerman in the wet. Massive aquaplanning at Gingerman into turn 3. Not fun. Others love it as it teaches you to be smooth.

Each to his (or her) own I guess.

Hope to see some of you at the FCA Gingerman event in May. Look for our ads in FML and FCA News Bulletin in March.
    Philip

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I saw your 'mostly', but still found Blackhawk terribly dangerous: When on a new track I'm looking at each corner and ask myself, where would I go if I'd loose my brakes in that one? Blackhawk has about one turn where you can safely sail off into a wide field. Anywhere else you either hit a tree immediately or after about 20 yards. That's why I would call it unforgiving.

Gingerman? Nothing but pastures all around. That is if you make it onto the track and past the armcos first...
    :)

PS: Don't get me wrong, I loved Blackhawk, but was astounded by all the Ferrari folks taking their cars there to the limit.

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Philip, I don't normally mind the wet myself. Did some fun lapping at Gingerman in open-wheelers during a deluge. But the back section at Blackhawk has little to no run-off, and I've seen it used too many times!

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I went to college at DePauw University in Greencastle, IN, only a few miles from Putnam Park. I used to go there with my Acura Integra and participate in PCA events. It's a phenomenal track - or at least it was 6-10 years ago. The elevation changes and off camber corners make it pretty challenging but there's also a long straight. I would love to make it back there.

14. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Somebody said there is a track day at Putnam on Friday before the F1 race. I know Lotus club is doing one on Monday after the race. Anyone know who is doing the Friday event?

15. Feffman

Feffman Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Gateway To The West
    Full Name:
    Feff
    Boxer:

Join us at Putnam Park on June 21st. Putnam is VERY forgiving and we will have a good time like the 2003 event.

If you want more info or a registration from (we only have 9 spots left) call me at (314) 889-0572 or e-mail [email protected]

Mark Pfeffer