Ode to German Engineering! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ode to German Engineering!

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Husker, Mar 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    I don't mean to turn this political, but has anyone considered, that it is damned near impossible to comply with all the regulations...emissions, mileage, 'safety' ad infinitum...and still build a reliable vehicle at a price point that consumers can tolerate. I would not be too hard on the auto makers...force your officials to eliminate or at least reduce the burden of opressive regulation...you will see better and more reliable cars, almost over night.

2. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    That's true today but wasn't 20 years ago. There was a day when Benz's were bank vaults and truly "over-engineered". Those days went bye-bye when MB merged with Chrysler, but profits soared, and even though they've now split, the bean counters aren't going back to the way things were.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I purchased a '98 BMW M Roadster new and had it for only five months before I just couldn't take it anymore. The thing spent more time in the shop than in my garage.

I sold it and got a new '99 Porsche Carrera - a very early 996. Despite what everyone says about them, I abused that poor car for five years, put 75K extremely hard miles on it, yet never had an issue.

Between my wife and I, we've had a '98 SLK (had the top stuck half-open multiple times), an '03 E500 (several annoying glitches, but nothing major), and an '06 C230 (cheapy-cheesy interior build quality, but no mechanical issues).

I currently have a '97 S600 coupe (with 100K miles). I haven't had it long enough to have any issues, but it came with an impressive stack of receipts. The PO spent many thousands of dollars on it over the years.

Of course, I also have a '74 Porsche 914, but that doesn't really count.

My point is that not all German cars are the same. In my experience, the BMW was one of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned, the Porsche one of the best.

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #29 classic308, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    WOW timing is everything. I came upon this thread this morning (post 25). My sister had a strange noise coming out of her leased X5-she brought it to the dealer today and they told her it needs a NEW DRIVETRAIN!!!???? Wow, this after they had to fix a series of oil leaks....BTW, she had an ML that was filled with problems. Her MDX and Lexus truck were bullet-proof when she leased them. To add insult to injury she needs the three rows for kids and dealer only gave her a 3-series sedan...f up the customer service in addition to the car....

EDIT-truck has 23K miles on it....

5. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I guess the MB isn't trail rated??? j/k j/k j/k

I'd like to comment on the tilt wheel issue though. Many people (mainly large short people) tend to use the steering wheel to help them get in/out of the car. With time this breaks the steering column since it wasn't designed to be used as a leverage point to get into a car/suv/truck.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    On my 2003 Audi RS6...

2x Total replacement of the DRC suspension
    1x Torque converter
    2x Front suspension control links

In 60k miles.

Frankly, the Ingolstadt engineers ought to be embarrassed.

That said, cars these days are so jam-packed with so many things, that it's virtually impossible for something to not go wrong.

But, going back to German reliability. Or is it durability. Or is it longevity. Everyone knows that their products were well-designed and well-built once. Now, pretty much everyone is building cars virtually the same way. Different grades and materials, but essentially everyone is doing the same stuff. Hard to be head and shoulders above anyone in that game.

CW

7. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Ode to german engineering.

This must be it :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rMEzVJPCM[/ame]

8. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    for the amount of headache i got from my merc ... and from the a**hole dealers, i will NEVER buy a 3-pointer again ...

just LOVE my m5 tho ... a no contest ...

9. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
    Bad luck, my dad had a Lexus LS that was a lemon. Was in the shop over 12 times. Traded in on a S500 that has been bulletproof. My daily drivers are an SL500 and my wife drives a 5 series. All good so far...knock on wood :)

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Engine cover at 1:51 looks very current, so my take away is you need to properly restore a late model Mercedes to get it to work properly...

11. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    i was looking to buy my mom and dad a newer merc,,but now i'm going to look at a normal cadillac

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #37 UroTrash, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  13. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Jürgen E. Schrempp und der shareholder value lassen grüßen!

We finally got rid of him!

I hope present C- and E-Class will show the same results as our old W124 260E in the long run. Almost 20 years and 250.000 km. No major problems.

14. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    #39 Cozmic_Kid, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
    Of course it looks current. The company throw new engines in old cars. That's the point of it ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEcPmgAUMp0[/ame]

http://www.mechatronik.de/

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not my cup of tee...

16. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005