[360 F1] Gear doesn't engage when down shifting @ low RPM | FerrariChat

[360 F1] Gear doesn't engage when down shifting @ low RPM

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360FRA, Apr 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360FRA

360FRA Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    France
    Hey guys,

I have a 2000 F360 F1.

I just had my clutch replaced @ Ferrari, and when I picked up my car after service, I could notice a very unpleasant behavior : when I downshift under 2.800/3.000 RPM, the gear doesn't "engage" immediately, it can take from 1 to 3 seconds. During that time, I feel like being on "free-wheel". It's not really dangerous but very troublesome. With my old clutch, I didn't notice anything of that (original clutch, 20k miles, 74% wear).

I drove the car back to Ferrari and the mechanic plugged the SD2, to calibrate the clutch (from 16mm, I have now 13mm). But it still doesn't work.

What is strange, is that this problem only appears in "Sport" mode (everything is OK in normal mode, or Automatic, or over 3.000 RPM). The "free wheel" delay is more important when the car is cold, and nearly non-existent after driving hard and shifting very often (for example, when driving hard in the mountains). After 20 miles of highway, the problem is also present.

Maybe the clutch inflates when shifting often ?

Do you thing we should calibrate the clutch again ?

Or maybe is it something "normal" ? (It's my first electronic car, till now I always had the "stick").

I apologize for any mistakes, please consider I'm not english ;)

Greetings

PS : my new clutch has now nearly 1000 miles.

2. 360FRA

360FRA Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    France
    Please help !!!

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think you're right about trying to recalibrate the clutch

Check the PIS (point of initial slippage) - its usually about 5 mm

Also try a search for '360 clutch pis' or '360 clutch slippage' it may give some other ideas

Is the hydraulic level ok ?

4. 360FRA

360FRA Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    France
    Thanks for your answer, all levels are OK.

Can the PIS be 13 mm right now, or is it another setup ?

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  6. 360FRA

360FRA Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    France
    Any more advices ?

7. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I would turn the problem over to the dealer. They did the clutch 1000 miles ago and it is not shifting correctly. I never have a full second delay on a downshift or an upshift, sport mode or not. If you call for first gear and the car is rolling to fast it will not shift or will go to the higher appropriate gear. I don;t think there is any driver error that could cause over a second with the clutch disengaged on a downshift.

For you to tell the dealer what is the cause of the problem seems foolish. It is possible something other than the clutch went wrong and it was a coincidence that it is apparent after the clutch rplacement, but I think it is up to the dealer to discover what is wrong and explain why it was or was not due to their clutch replacement.

8. Robin360

Robin360 Formula 3

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I'm having the same problem right now. I had it before though; just after l replaced the F1 gear actuator. Then we lowered the PIS value and it disappeared. Now it got back but l'll ask it to be lowered again. Will let you know what happens. But my suggestion is: ask for the PIS value to be decreased.

9. Robin360

Robin360 Formula 3

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Robin
    #9 Robin360, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    I meant: ask it to be decreased even more (from 13 mm).

10. TAFORZA

TAFORZA Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    San Francisco, USA
    Full Name:
    Tony A.
    A PIS value of 13mm on a 360 is simply a wrong value. Whoever replaced your clutch either made a mistake or did not set the initial parameters correctly. These parameters should be set after the clutch replacement, before you start driving the car. Take it back to the "dealer" who installed the clutch and let them figure it out. With a new clutch and proper installation and settings, you should not be having these problems.

11. 360FRA

360FRA Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    France
    Thanks for your advice. What year is your car ? Mine is a 2000. How low is your PIS ?

12. 360FRA

360FRA Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    France
    That's also what I told myself, that's why I drove the car back to them. The mechanic said the new clutch needed some "break-in" period, but I already drove the car for 200 miles.

I was very afraid, because after those 200 miles, he showed me on the screen of the SD2, the clutch had already 15% wear... Is that normal ?? The mechanic told me a new clutch is never 0% wear, but it stabilizes to 15/20%.

I'm very afraid and angry at the same time... because they charged me 13.000 USD for the cambelts, regular 20.000 miles service, and clutch, and they give me back a car that's not perfect.

Of course I'll bring the car back to them, tomorrow at the opening. But should I complain hard ?

13. 360FRA

360FRA Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    France
    Please help :(

14. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Low hydraulic fluid in the reservior tank can lead to poor or even no gears selection. I had this on my CS. Its a safety feature on the F1 system. Worth checking...

15. 360FRA

360FRA Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    France
    Thanks.

Can I check it by myself ? If yes, how to ?

16. Robin360

Robin360 Formula 3

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Robin
    2000. 2002+ cars have automatic PIS control l think. My PIS is about 3-4 l think but l have 40k on the clutch.

True but isn't this for gear changes? The gear changes seem to work well but the engaging of the gear afterwards doesn't.

17. 360FRA

360FRA Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    France
    Is it possible to have a PIS of 16 ????? You guys are all taking bout 4, 5 mm.

13/16 sounds like sci-fi !! And that's what that """mechanic""" did.

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I've already told you you are confusing two different figures - the PIS is completely different to the initial clutch setting

19. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is the best advice.