high performance Miata | FerrariChat

high performance Miata

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by fish78, Apr 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Is that a contradiction of terms? Or is there a version that gives the little car some grunt?

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    LS1 (zoom, zoom):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0jYm3exkrs&feature=related[/ame]

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #3 texasmr2, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If I'm not mistaken this pic is of the 9 second 1/4 mile Miata's engine from years back I have ranted about in the past, I had the mag years ago and it was a beast. Stock intake manifold with possibly some inside smoothing ie extrude honing yet a simple T4/T3 with upgraded rods and pistons of course.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Mazda sold a Mazdaspeed version in 2004-2005, came with a factory turbocharged setup - though it was only good for about 180 hp, about 40 more than stock.

There are quite a few well-engineered boost options out there, though - turbocharger setups from www.flyinmiata.com , or a very cool cold side supercharger system from www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com, that get you to 190 - 240 hp reliably. The stock 1990 - 2005 Miata engine was based on a turbocharged engine, so the engine itself is strong and can easily handle that power - and 240 hp in a 2400 lb car is pretty quick. The turbo systems can easily get you to 300 - 350 hp, but additional engine and drivetrain work is definitely needed then.

Beyond the stock 4 cyl engine you can go to the V8 conversions, the 5.0 small block Ford was quite popular, but the hot setup now is the LS2 or LS3 GM engine (aluminum block, instead of the iron block LS1). An easy 400 hp, there are several conversion kits available, and Flyin Miata offers turnkey conversions.

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The V8 option is ok but it totally screws up the handling which is the Miata's 'bread and butter'. Also in regards to the massively expensive turbo and supercharger kit's offered one could put together their own turbo system for half the cost, I know as I did just that with my first turbo upgrade on my '92 MR2T. Also if I'm not mistaken the Miata ecu can be accessed to adjust fuel and timing parameters which is not/was not possible with the Toyota ecu.

6. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    The horses are good, but what about torque? The V8 option woud seem to be too heavy on the front end...All I would be looking to do is get the power up enough keep me awake...well maybe it might
    be fun to dust some of the punk kids off on occaison...would want to retain the handling characteristics
    and maintain a well balanced car...if a turbo would do the trick..that would seem to be the way to go...somewhere around 250 hp at the rear wheel sounds about right.

Any ideation more conducive to this plumbing than another? The Scotsman in me wants this to be a low budget endeavor.

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Been there done that sooo....

1. A T4/T3-T63 $800 US excluding shipping (previous customer I am)
    2. A T4/T3 flange $50 US max. (previous customer I am)
    3. A salvaged FMIT (front mounted inter-cooler), maybe $100 US but barter.

I could go on and on and on but the point I'm trying to make is you can add performance additions that can/will still give you a reliable sub-12 daily driver without screwing up what the Miata is known for with a V8.

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #8 GordonC, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    Turbos and superchargers add torque; if you want a high rpm power monster you can size a turbo for that with plenty of lag etc., but all of the off-the-shelf kits add a lot of torque all the way through the powerband.

Texasmr2, sorry, but you are repeating a few myths and erroneous statements. The stock Miata ECU (90-2005) can not be reprogrammed, but the 06+ one can. Aftermarket full programmable ECUs, not piggybacks, are available for $600 - $2000. The Miata FI kits are not that expensive, not in the context of a Ferrari forum at least! $2.5K - $5K will get a very well engineered solution. If you want to save money and piece together your own solution that is certainly possible, but you trade time for money ;).

The V8 conversions don't actually ruin the famed Miata balanced handling. Total weight gain for a V8 conversion is typically around 200 - 250 lbs, and a third of that is at the back for the heavier differential and axles needed with the much higher torque. There are plenty of suspension setups that, with the proper selection of spring rates (which are well understood), can keep a Miata handling at a very high level with excellent balance.

Check out the forums at www.Miata.net , especially the Power Modifications forums (separate for Supercharged and Turbocharged) for more details; also check out their Marketplace section, vendors to look at are Flyin Miata, Fast Forward Superchargers, and BEGI Bell Engineering.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Actually Gordon I never said they can be reprogrammed I only assumed that, I did not KNOW if they were accessible, I had an Autronic on my MR2T so I'm not a newby to the standalone EMS or the cost of an EMS.

10. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    He was mostly referring to the idea of the V8 killing the handling of the Miata (same BS misinformation that V8 RX-7s suffer from).
    Even the iron block small block Chevys didn't upset the handling of the RX7, as the weight difference is minimal, despite Mazda's marketing about the lightness of the rotary. The basic rotary is lighter than the old iron SBC, until you add in all of what's necessary to keep it alive, and especially in the EPA's good emissions graces - it's basically a 6 cylinder 2-stroke, with several large plates of cast iron that go bottom to top.

The Miata's block isn't exactly light, much of its weigh carried high, vs. the aluminum LSX V8s, which carry their weight lower (another handling advantage over the rotary, also).
    The handling is very minimally affected, and in the RX-7, even improved a bit by moving the battery to the rear to give a slightly rearward weight bias (vs. stock 50/50) to make better use of all the new torque - most scale within a few pounds of a stock car.

11. Willybeen

Willybeen Karting

Aug 18, 2009
    Vero/Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    William
    Ton of info on miataturbo.net (i think)

Some guy on another forum just picked one up that makes 300 wheel...... should be a fun car.

I just think id hate the gay jokes I'd have to take for driving one. (I think id rather have an s2000, with better resale)

12. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    With a bunch of boosted torque, they're a blast. <ba dum-bum>
    Mine was SCed, an early Corky Bell still finalizing the details, and would light the tires in 2nd on command. Pissed-off Camaros and Firebirds, and the occasional Vette, all the way up to redline in 5th (about 130, IIRC), and then they'd just keep going if they were still hanging in there.

If you're secure in your manhood, the gay jokes won't bother you. The girls, however, will think you're non-threatening and have a cute car, until it's too late....hehehe.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I always enjoyed the look I got as I walked away at 130mph+, boost baby boost!!!!

14. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Just.........needed.......one.........more..........gear......!!!

I always wondered just how much more that little four could do if it had the gearing. Still had enough pull nearing top to give a handful of drivers the "WTF?!?!?" moment, for sure. :D

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I love that look at 130mph+ as you walk away, smiling of course!

16. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info guys. Now, would it be better to get a really cheap ragged out car or to spend more on a basically solid car...my thought is that since there will be significant engine work to do that thare will also need to be suspension, brake and exaust work as well../what about transmissions? That maybe a really tired car for very few bucks might be the best place to start? Am I on the right track? Or what about finding one that has already been modified?

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It's your money but if I were you I would build it myself and go with a turbo, I did it and it was actually fun. One thing you MUST understand is the difference between a supercharged engine and a turbocharged engine. I do not feel like typing a book so do some research.

18. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    my favorite cars of all time, based on price vs perfomance and reliability are my turbo miatas. they have done enduros, track days, sprint races and do it way cheaper than anything else that runs similar lap times

19. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    I allways wanted to build a Miata , but since i grew up racing all the RX cars , my build would be a Miata with a 13 b ( 4 or 6 port ) i don`t care which , secondary bridge port , with dual webers, or a Holley, or dellordo , no turbo, , with that setup there should be nothing that could really touch it except maybe a turbo rotary, or of course a rare Lambo or a very fast Ferrari or Porsche turbo.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #20 texasmr2, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Meh. If you're going to the trouble of an engine swap, why go for another 4 cylinder? The stock Miata engine is plenty strong for 250 rwhp. I like the recent LS3+ swaps, an easy 400 - 600 hp in a 2600 lb car!! The wildest Miata swap I've seen (pictures) is a Jaguar V12... that one needed a bit of firewall work to fit, but WOW!

It all depends on your budget, power goals, and if you want to be driving or fiddling with it all the time. You can DIY, some guys have built excellent setups, many more have built crappy hacked together setups, it does take some knowledge, experience, and skill to DIY a decent turbo setup! If 250 hp is enough, then a good enough will not need any engine work, the transmission will hold up, the diff (in the 1.8 cars, 94+) will hold up. If you want to track it, then you might want a brake upgrade, otherwise good pads will handle the extra power just fine. Suspension is always going to need an upgrade, the stock shocks are worn out after 40K miles.

I'd only consider one already modified if I knew the kit installed and got a sense that the installer was competent. For me, a lot of the satisfaction was in the selection of components and in the build, so that's the route I chose (I have a 96 Miata, supercharged, standalone ECU, Ohlins suspension, etc etc.)

22. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    flyinmiata.com

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Having owned a couple of these "chick cars," this is what I would do. Frankly, adding much more than 150hp would ruin the car and make it into a freak.

Dale

24. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    let's see....no v8, 250hp, one more gear, minimal upkeep......put a S2000 engine & gearbox in the little bugger and there you go. :)

25. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    T4/T3-63 and see ya S2000.