another powerloss TR | FerrariChat

another powerloss TR

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mjcdc, Jun 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjcdc

mjcdc Rookie

Jun 8, 2004
    colfax california
    Full Name:
    mark
    i saw yellowtr's problem, mine is simular, driver's exhaust bank develops heat and passenger's side never heats up, seem's completely dead, so far i have diconnected one fuel pump fuse at a time, when pull driver's side the vehicle immediately dies, then pull pass side and seems minor diff, notice with fuses in a kind of air pump sound that does go away when the pass. side fuse is pulled? removed belly pans and have 12 volts at each pump and they both sound and feel like they are running, next i swapped coils, made no difference, disconnected both filters, manually blew thru both and seemed clear and equal. i cannnot at this time check pump pressure, but both pumps put out volume. i was told to check resistance on to switches that go into the flywheel area, a white and black connector below air cleaner on left side of engine, crossed both mail pins and resistance is about 500 ohms. our bet so far is that i have a weak pump? inline fuel pressure equalizers do not seem to be leaking and distributor cap and rotor look ok. any suggestions?
    1990 calif TR (aka 1991).
    thank you

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The bad news is that you've done a nice job looking into this already ;)

You're up to the point now where you really need to confirm if the supply pressure is OK or not. You could try swapping the fuel pumps and see if the problem follows one of the pumps, but this is way more hassle (and time=$) than just buying the cheapy K/KE fuel pressure gauge set from JCWhitney IMO.

Your "pulling the FP fuses" and "coil swapping" test results imply that the spark is OK on each bank -- but have you verified that directly?

3. mjcdc

mjcdc Rookie

Jun 8, 2004
    colfax california
    Full Name:
    mark
    i was going to put a timing light on each wire today!

thank you

4. BuchananEngineer

Apr 28, 2011
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Full Name:
    Steven M. Buchanan
    I have a 412 which runs well most of the time. However, after a 1/2-1 hour run and park for 30 minutes it sometimes will not restart easily and when finally started runs only on left bank. Once it is totally cooled down it starts fine. Must be no fuel flow on right bank since tailpipes are cool.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie