458 Italia vs. Aventador LP700 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Italia vs. Aventador LP700

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by itwizard, Apr 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Aventador looks beautiful without the body. I love the technology underneath.

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm really impressed with the Aventador, all the magazine articles I've read really show what a technical improvement this car will be.

That being said, the only Lambo I would consider buying is the 6.0 Diablo. I just love that car.

Out of these two, I would take the Italia every time.

3. Eatdog

Eatdog Rookie

Sep 15, 2010
    Someone once told me ferraris are for those who are trying to make it but Lamborghini are for the only few who already made it. Well I rather be the one who is trying to make it with better taste. In response to your post, I would get a 458 and a good 355 spider..or like one guy said. Get a 599gto. I own a 570 superledgera and don't love it the way I love my 458. Trying to get rid of it now..

4. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Lol...never heard of such a saying. Lambos are for people who are angry all the time. Ferraris are for the gentleman who knows how to have fun. That said, I have good friends who are lambo owners. No such comparison at all. In fact, we love each others cars for our own unique reasons.

5. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    Haha, I've actually heard that phrase used both ways (Lambo->Ferrari, Ferrari->Lambo) and supposedly it was said by Frank Sinatra. I'll have to check up to see what on earth he actually said.

One thing that's semi unique to Ferrari is that they don't have any "attachments" aside from Formula 1. Audi -> Iron Man, Lambo -> Batman, Aston -> James Bond. Arguably Ferrari would be the marque that's not pretending to be anything else.

Then again, that line was said during the days of the Miura, which is a different story.

6. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    That is correct. The matte finishes are the $heavy$ options. And painted springs pointless unless you have Giallo in your color scheme. What sucked was Lambo refused my request for balloon white calipers. What was cool was they approved the contrasting color Brand in headrest.

Now this statement in another context sounds to me like, No hero would "attach" himself to a Ferrari... Except for maybe... ME =D Just kidding

7. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    That being said, matte white looks like the car came from the future.

8. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My fear is that after a short time, it will look very much like it came from the past.

9. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    I have a feeling, unless that LCD tachometer is upgradeable, that LCD is going to look pretty tacky compared to the 3d HD res layouts that will be out in 5 years.

As for it looking like an LP560, I assure you that it won't look like it came from the past. At the very least, it will look like a new LP560:p

10. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I love the car but wonder about how matte paint will look after a year or two since you can't polish it.

11. Santi

Santi Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Javier Santiago
    Does anyone think the Aventador should have ben named MurcieLlardo~!? thats what it looks like to me, a recycled design from murcie & gallardo.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Aventador but was itching to ask this opinion :D

12. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    Well, I know lots of people have said it looks like the murcie and the gallardo, but I disagree. They look like they belong in the same family, as they should, but folks saying they look similar haven't seen the two in person. The gallardo is substantially shorter in length and higher in height, and that makes all the difference. On the internet, low quality pictures make it more difficult to make that enormous distinction, but I would say the Aventador is more different than the Gallardo than the Aston Martin DBS is from the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. It's certainly not as different as the 599 is from the 458, however the latter two cars aren't even the same format (front engined vs mid engined).

http://motoroids.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Lamborghini-Aventador-profile.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4267789520_4cbd91df03.jpg

13. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    In terms of recycled designs, the 458 is absolutely a recycled design from the F430, just as the F430 was recycled from the 360. They just added some sharp creases (lambo style actually) to the F430 and removed the rounded areas. The general shape is very similar.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4699716133_9b1dc02009.jpg

14. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    The 458 is far more removed from the F430 than the Aventador is from the Gallardo.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #40 TheMayor, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    I would agree with that. However, the Aventador seems like more of a throw back to the Countach, which is not a bad thing IMO.

To try to make it more clearer, the Aventador is closer to the Countach than the Gallardo is to the Countach.

The Murci to me seemed closer to the Diablo, which was a departure from the Countach.

It's all very subjective though. I think they are all pretty attractive.

The 458 is more of the modernisation of the "Dino" look that was first started with the 308/328, ran off track with the 348, got better with the 355, and really went retro with the 360.

But, the 459 does it in ways that don't make it seem like a copy. That's why it looks unique yet "familiar".

16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    You're talking only about how the sheet metal is bent, correct?

17. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    yeah purely aesthetics, I thought that was what he was referring to about the aventador being too similar to the gallardo

18. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #43 Lesia44, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    Yes, styling wise. Technologically it's the other way round. The Aventador seems to be doing a fine job of dragging Lamborghini out of the old school and into the future.

When you see it in the flesh there's a awful lot of 308 in there in the balance of the proportions and the way the major shapes hold together as a whole. And I think that's why the 458 is such a good looking car: because the 308 is one of the best looking cars Ferrari have ever made.

19. OrionQuest

OrionQuest Guest

Jan 23, 2011
    Just sold my 2009 LP640. had offers to get the Aventador by fall. Lamboghini owner experience was so miserable that I will never think about buying a Lambo again. There's more to owning these cars than just buying one. Lambo could care less about their customers or the value of their cars after that leave the dealer. Or at least that was mine and other folks I have talked to who are ex owners experiences. My garage will soon have the 458 in it and shortly after the McLaren joining it. I'll keep the twin turbo R8 as the daily and winter beater (at least until the warranty runs out). Also don't forget that Ferrari just announced they will soon offer included maintenance for 7 years on 2011 MY vehicles in NA soon. Already available in Europe. That again proves to me I made the right decision to leave Lambo behind and never look back.

Lamborghini has lost their vision and in today's wonderful market for supercar lovers they will feel the pain.

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    For me the LP700 with it's V-12 will not translate into a street
    driving fun factor as the more responsive 458 V-8 would.
    The LP700 would probably make for a nicer Autobahn experience
    But the problem with that is you would have to do some scary
    speed before one can notice the difference between the two

21. F1guru

F1guru Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Orange County, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You're asking about price points so if you go off of the track record alone of both Ferrari and Lamborghini models it's very likely that the Aventador value will drop further and faster than the 458.

Winkleman just announced that they've taken 1,100 orders for the A-car and are 18 mo. out in fulfillment. If that's accurate it's probably customer and dealer orders bundled. IMO give it 12 months and you'll see plenty of inventory at much more attractive pricing.

22. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    One of the reviews recently confirmed this is true, 1200 orders now, 100 of them dealer demo cars, rest sold to customers.

Undoubtedly it will depreciate like a stone unless Lamborghini plays their cards substantially differently. These V12's just are hard to maintain and drive on any sort of regular basis. Hopefully this one will be a bit more comfortable than the Murcielago was, but given the recent reviews, not likely.

23. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    If Lamborghini would change their business end of things, they could potentially hold value just as well as Ferrari. The depreciation rate of lambo's has been outrageous thus far. I hope they do make changes as I believe "business" wise, that would b the key to more clientele.

24. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    Maybe they are trying to mimic Ferrari's approach of building "1 less car than is demanded" with their whole 18 month waitlist thing.

I don't know how it was back at the launch of the Murcielago in 2002 as I wasn't anywhere close to being in the market for one back then, but does anybody remember if there was a waitlist, or were they just building as many as they could sell?

If they make it so buying a new Lamborghini at MSRP without having to wait 2-3 years, Lambo dealerships could readily begin developing the sort of "subscriptional" relationships that Ferrari dealerships have built with their loyal set of customers.

25. OrionQuest

OrionQuest Guest

Jan 23, 2011
    I dont completely believe in this 18 month wait list. I have had no less than 3 dealers contact me stating I could order and get it this fall. As always I am sure it depends on dealer allocation but 3 out of how many dealers are left? Just seems to me to be a marketing ploy to generate further interest by touting higher demand vs supply.