The thing about older Ferraris... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The thing about older Ferraris...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JoeZaff, May 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bulletproofwallet

Mar 2, 2011
    San Francisco
    my members only jacket would like a word with you.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #27 WILLIAM H, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I remember mine but I don't talk to laundry. ;)
    The eighties were a time of wonderful excess (ask me how I know) but produced less of lasting value than most decades.

4. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think the only reason I have older Ferraris is because I can't afford a new one. I say "I think" because I've never actually driven, or even been a passanger in, anything beyond a 355. I have heard from others that the newer cars are great but that they feel like most any other fast sportscar, whereras the old Ferraris are unique unto themselves. So...I would have to test-drive some newer ones to make my decision ;-)

That being said, BDelp's commentary pursuant to the older cars was/is spot on in my book and paraphrases the adage "Sleep with one eye open"; in the older Ferraris, you drive with "one eye on the road and one eye on some gauge".

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LOL-- So true. Although my Ferrari has never left me stranded, I monitor those gauges like they are about to reveal a winning lottery number.

All part of the charm :)

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #31 full_garage, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As the owner of a 99 355 and a 2002 Porsche 911 Cab and bunch of cool 80s stuff- I gotta say I like the 80s cars because that's the era when I really started paying attention to cars.

I never wanted a vette or a fast Mustang, I always wanted something oddball- so of course I wound up with a 400i and a 412- as odd a Ferrari pairing as there is.

My 88 Carrera 3.2 is great for what it is, but the 400i 5-speed gives me a sense of satisfaction that's hard to describe- and I totally dig the wacky 70s "Car of the Future" look.

My 412 is an automatic- yet I love it even more- Cannot explain it really- I just find them endlessly fascinating. Just got rid of my 928S4 cause after the 412- it's just a mass produced product.

Porsche belches out more cars in a week than Ferrari did in a decade, yet both are great for different reasons. 80s cars are not yet vintage or even particularly collectible- but wait...just wait.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I can trade my F40 tomorrow on any new Ferrari & probably get some $ back but thats never going to happen :)

F40 is the King of post 1980 Ferraris. 355, 430, 458 are all very nice but in the end they are rather disposable cars. F40s, 288s, Daytonas, and Pre 1970 cars are not disposable

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #33 Bullfighter, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    I wouldn't call '80s stuff "vintage" yet... but I agree with you, you can't really compare the modern cars with the older ones (Ferraris, Porsches, Mercs, etc.) They gradually went mainstream in terms of their looks and driveability, and put on the pounds.

For a daily driver, I would definitely prefer one of the California/599 type cars with Bluetooth, luggage space and the full complement of e-nannies to keep me out of trouble. But they're too "normal" and luxurious to be compared directly to the classic/vintage cars. For wet-your-pants fun, I'd look to the F40/308/328/Boxer/TR/246 era where you gave orders to the car, and the car followed them.

It's kind of like the old Porsche 911s, where the controls were weird, there was tons of mechanical involvement and it could kill you if you misbehaved. Good times. (Except for the death part.)

Ditto the old Mercs. The 280SL gets cooler every year, while the new SLs are more or less just nice used cars.

9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Funny you should mention the 280 SL its on my wife's short list.
    Today's Ferraris are more complete cars than the old ones but as a long time fan the idea of a Ferrari as a daily driver seems almost a contradiction in terms. A 365 GTC is as close to practical as I'd want.

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words. :D:D

Awesome car mate! :):)

11. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    LOL........for me it was alternator problems in my 348. But once that was sorted out, I couldn't help but monitor the idiot light I installed. The 360, well, it is another animal all together...

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    My brother once compared two motorcycles. One was brilliant, amazing handling, incredibly competant, felt like the bike could tear through the turns without any effort or assistance on his part. As if he could put the key in and the bike would take itself out. The other was an ungainly beast, piles of torque, really had to manhandle it. He loved the second machine and felt no loss when he sold the first machine.

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    If given the choice for a drive on a great road would you rather try an F40 or a 458?

Better yet, a Daytona (ok, not 80s, way more $$ I know) or a 458?

Which one would get you up earlier on a Sunday morning?

14. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The Daytona & F40 are much more special than a 458 bcus they are relatively rare and MUCH more raw.

The 458 is a fantastic car but the Daytona & F40 are raw ferocious beasts that you must tame.

As much as I like the 458 and I know its way faster than my old F40 I just love my 40 & the way she roars, spits out great big fireballs and scares the snot out of people :)

15. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

The perfect reason to own an F40....scaring the snot outta people!!!

PDG

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Works for me.
    Too many snotty people to begin with ;)

17. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Having had the pleasure of being a passenger in a 458 driven in anger, let me just say that its performance capabilities were simply breathtaking. It is a game changer of a car of perhaps the same magnitude as the F40 was upon its debut. Ferrari deserves a lot of credit for creating a car that has sent its competitors back to the drawing board. Although I am sure the MacClaren will boast similar performance, I sincerely doubt it will be able to accomplish these benchmarks with the same excitement that the 458 can. It will likely be similar to the Porsche 959 vs. F40 comparisons back in the day.

Anyway, I say all that to say, time marches on. We can't fault Ferrari for not wanting to continue building antiquated cars to appeal to a very small minority...That's what we have Morgan for!

I credit Ferrari for continuing to create world class sports cars that are about as exciting as a MODERN sports car can be. Personally, I just like the old cars, warts and all, a whole lot better.

18. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    #43 bwassam, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

You forgot, every time I look in the rear view mirror, my first concern is whether or not I"m on fire. After that I'll worry about the traffic that is crowding around to see the car and urging me to stand on it for their appreciation.

19. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Too true.

The Dino's inside mirror can only be adjusted to show the engine lid; obviously an early fire detection device.

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Your sabbatical served you well.
    Dats some funny Sheet mon. :D

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    One of the best things of older Ferraris is that Enzo was still alive.

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    And Luca was playing with boats and soccer balls...

23. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Formula Junior

May 8, 2005
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    James Humphreys
    I think these are just both sides of the Ferrari coin. I am in the midst of completing a purchase of a 430 which will become my daily driver and first modern F. I am practically giddy with finally getting to fulfill this dream. By the same token, a few years ago I had a 308 (deferred maintenance money hole that I should have passed on initially and eventually had to give up on at the time) and its numerous problems aside, I loved that car and will likely buy another 308. The older ones do have character (sometimes good and sometimes bad) that I suspect newer cars lack. Best solution is to have a new one and an old one if you can manage it.