Stratos v Dino | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stratos v Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Apr 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Pour a glass of favorite wine and savor the moment.
    Here's to old age,
    Coop

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    HF, the wheels are 8" front and 9" rear, if I remember correctly. The front tires are 18/60-15 (or 215/55VR15) , and the rears 23/62-15 (or 270/45VR15). Cheers, Andres

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I took the Stratos out for a spin yesterday, dignini, and came home feeling how different it was from the Dino. It makes a good pair with the Dino.

4. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    I am envious in a good way, do you feel the the core to be the same does the engine transmission package make a connection between the cars

5. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    many thanks for the wheel info... how do the TB's act on the streets? i'd reckon thy are simular to a DOT street legal R-compound?

all the best

hf

6. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    TB15s are very nice on the road and track. I had them on my Gr4 Stratos, 11" rears & 8" fronts, have used them on a Comp Daytona, and now use them on my 575GTO special. You need to put them through a proper heat cycle first time out. I had a set that I didn't do this and am pretty sure they had noticeably less grip, although they were still good in all other respects.

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I find the Michelins quite good on the road, too, HF. They are not harsh, but responsive and have good grip. I really like them.

8. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #33 alhbln, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Stratos cars are really impressive, both from the wonderful design as well as from the engineering and driving experience. Below is a Stratos i am doing a bit of work on. Most unfortunately not mine, but then again i doubt i could manage to keep it on the track for a minute, its quite a handful with its 560 hp turbo engine. Maybe i can have a bit of track time as a co driver if i ask nicely, will put that on the christmas wish list :)

Adrian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Just being around it must be an experience, good luck with the drive and choose the right color outfit to wear!

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    #35 racerboy9, Nov 21, 2010
    Andy, here is a shot of the plug in socket on my road car. It is on the left foot well ahead and above where your left knee would be.

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Ah, that's what it looks like. Thank you for taking the trouble to shoot and post, racerboy9. Regards, Andy

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What socket are you talking about? I think I lost sequence...

Regards, Alberto

13. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The owners manual mentions: PLUG-IN SOCKET "Fitted underneath the dashboard for the use, whenever necessary, of portable lamp, shaver, etc."

14. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    They must have had a lot of these sockets to get rid of and dumped them on the Stratos.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Stratos was designed as a race car (would never have been made otherwise), Dino as a road car ... that will define the difference.

Pete

16. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Adrian is this one of the original turbo cars? So they didn't all catch fire....

Will it be raced?

Will

17. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    This is the remaining Stratos Turbo. Two were build by Mike Parkes at Lancia, unfortunately the other one was destroyed by fire in Austria in 1976. The Stratos was at Goodwood in 2005 but i don't think it will be raced in the future except for show runs. The engine is a bit prone to overheating and next to it are the fuel tanks and the glass fiber chassis.

18. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #43 alhbln, Nov 26, 2010
    The same socket one was used on the Fiat Dino Spider, below is a picture of the portable lamp.
    Very practical if you hurry to work in your Stratos and need to shave on the way.

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I found the socket. I was wondering what the male plug looked like. Where can one buy that?

20. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    the one i've found is painted in marlboro rally livery, which isn't correct since it's a stradale..any suggestions/photos of colors?

also, just wondering, does everyone think they're a good investment, even at 200k plus?

21. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    How many Stratos Stradale exist now?
    Rarity will probably be a determining factor in future value.

22. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    probably around 492, if i remember correctly...

23. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Probably less. Historical accounts say Lancia actually produced far less than the 500 required for homologation, a factory calamity destroyed several when new, and many were written off in competition. Thomas Popper in Switzerland kept a registry; he would know how many Strati remain.

I think though, phil68, that the suggestion to buy a car because you like it, and not for the investment value, would be a good one here. The Stratos will probably hold it's value or appreciate, as it is a competition car produced in few numbers, the prime drivers of collectivity. But it is not a casual enthusiast's car, so its market will always be smaller than the Dino's. So few Stratos go on the market, so pricing or trends are difficult to establish. Classiccars magazine pegged their value at £60,000 for years and then suddenly bumped that figure to £200,000. The American publication Sports Car Market (which has great difficulty comprehending the Stratos) says an unmolested, original Stradale is rare and should command a premium.

The current issue of Octane features the New Stratos and has a good write-up on the original as well. "goosebumps," "menacing," "barely-contained tension," etc., pepper the article. It is difficult to drive a Stratos without getting excited.

Go get it, phil68. A good companion piece for our Dinos.

Andres

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Could someone please tell me where the appropriate jacking points are on the Stratos, if using a two-post lift?

I have always just jacked up my Stratos, but am now thinking of installing a 2-post lift. I believe the monocoque should be strong enough, but worry also about weight distribution.

I would appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Andres

25. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    #50 stratos, May 5, 2011
    Here you go: