Enzo engine dies at Laguna Seca | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Enzo engine dies at Laguna Seca

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Bill S, Oct 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool pics, hope they know how to put it all back together. :eek::eek:

2. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences with us Bill. Best of luck in getting her back on the road/track.

The pleasure of driving it again will certainly make all of this work and frustration a distant memory.

3. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lovely and it certainly looks like another 2 weeks work to reassemble the rest of the engine. :eek::eek:

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Such a wonderful motor!!!

5. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    And it looks better than new.

6. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    Thanks alot for the pictures! Both of the engine bay and the engine. Looks stunning! Must be a real thrill to work on a racing masterpiece like this.
    Are you going to dynorun the car when it's all back together?

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    probably the first time anyone this side of the factory has really seen one this torn down...

8. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    excellent! Do you think it will come out the other side a little healthier than she was ?(long before the failure)

9. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    #135 Bill S, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm not sure how carefully Ferrari assembled this engine. One would hope they were as good or better than this reassembly.

Maybe not a dyno, but definitely a 60 to 130!

Here's the latest...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Id say the guys at the factory that build the V12 engines would know a thing or two about them. :D:D

How many Enzo, V12 Ferrari engines have those guys there rebuilt before? :):)

Thanks for the pic, looks like fun. :D:D

11. 4RE42

4RE42 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2006
    Salem, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael & Melinda
    thank you for taking the time to post the saga and the pics. Sorry to hear this happened but it does sound like you are taking everything in stride . . . and you're almost done.

Good luck. Looking forward to more pics of the process.

michael brown

12. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    Realy cool to see the internals of this engine. Thank you for sharing:=)

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Great to see it all shiny.
    There are obviously lots of parts available. The Enzo, FXX and 599 (base, HG and GTO) all share the same block pretty much.

14. sshorty

sshorty Karting

May 23, 2004
    Independence, KY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry to hear about the engine problem during your track time. In light of the valvetrain failure, I truely enjoyed reading the steps involved in diagnosing, disassembling, re-diagnosing, checking, re-installing and eventually driving your re-born Enzo.

The engine looks amazing. I have gone through several engine rebuilds over the years on non-Ferrari models and I love the look of a perfectly cleaned, checked and rebuilt engine. Good luck with the final steps of the rebuild and I look forward to hearing about your continued enjoyment with Ferrari's flagship car.

Mike

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill

I really think you should break this in on a Dyno.

Best

16. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Do you know how the factory breaks them in?

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    So far as I know every new engine is run in tested on a Dyno at the factory before it's mounted in a car.

I know our race team tests/breaks in every engine we rebuild on a dyno before we install it.

The place to seat the rings is on a dyno.

The place to learn if there are leaks/problems is on a Dyno before the engine is mounted in the car.

18. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    #144 Bill S, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
    Thanks Jim. I'm not sure who has an Engine dyno for an Enzo engine in Southern CA. That's a pretty special setup to run an engine outside the car.

19. f1nxlife

f1nxlife Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 11, 2010
    harbor city ., calif
    Full Name:
    brett falcigno
    thats one hell of a motor,,,looks really good,,,i read through this entire thread ..and im impressed with the knowledge you fellows have with respect to these amazing power plants,,i saw an Enzo once ., at orange county Ferrari...one of the salesman started it up for me and drove it into the shop,,,sounded great,,,,thats to bad .,after spending all that money for your car,,that the motor failed...i was wondering if you can say., how many miles were on the car,,,not that it matters...anyways,,also sorry to hear about the "i dont care" attitude from the factory,,,that dissapoints me...i guess Ferrari is going the way of lots of other companies,,,greedy and just concerned with the bottom line,,,after you buy their flagship car,,no matter how many years your out of warrenty,,,they should do something to ease the pain of re building the motor,,,i can only imagine what that must have cost,,,well sir,,you have a great car..and a new motor,,i wish you the best of luck with it,,and i hope you have thousands of trouble free miles,,driving it,,,and thanks for the post,,Brett

20. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    Bill, great to see that the engine is taking shape once again. Is there an ETA for when you'll be able to drive the Enzo out of the workshop? Best wishes.

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very very cool pics!! :D:D

22. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Yes, but it changes every day. Hopefully she'll be back on the road before June!

23. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

Great news Bill, I know you miss it big time ! Looking forward to your first drive again...it will as good as new :)