Any updates on the Airbus lost in the Atlantic? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Any updates on the Airbus lost in the Atlantic?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by James_Woods, Oct 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#126 Kds, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    Read this in Portuguese on Globo.com today.....the chassis that the recording module mounts to (or something that looks eerily similar) has been located laying on the sea bed, but as there is no module.........there is no further info for now.........

Given where this assembly is mounted internally in the aircraft though, it seems odd to me that the module would detach from the chassis "post impact".........or that it would by laying there all alone on the sea bed. But I am no aviation crash reconstruction expert.

Scroll down for pics........

http://g1.globo.com/mundo/noticia/2011/04/chassis-de-uma-das-caixas-pretas-do-voo-447-e-achado-mas-sem-os-dados.html

2. lmunz22

lmunz22 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Very odd that they only found a piece of it. Hopefully the memory module isn't too far away...

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Looks like it's upside down to me.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Looks like they found the missing memory module!

5. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, apparently one of them. It seems amazing that they did find it after all the initial reports about the difficulties faced. They still need the other black box to get complete data, and of course for the data from both to be recoverable.

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Completely amazing recovery. Hopefully, it'll fill in the missing blanks. That said, it would still be useful to retrieve the voice recorder and to actually hear the flight deck.

CW

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Seeing this piece of equipment separated from its mounting in the tail section of the airplane indicates to me that there was a violent disassembly of the structure there. This equipment simply cannot be bumped from its installation, there had to have been some serious forces involved to separate it. On Boeing equipment the FDR is mounted in a substantial rack integrated into the basic structure in the overhead of the 48 Section below the vertical fin and I cannot imagine it being ripped away and completely separated from the airplane. Now I hope that the tapes are readable.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It does look like it would take about a million Gs to knock it apart like that.

My understanding (from a show on History Channel) is that the newer FDRs are solid state and don't use tape.

10. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    OK let me start this post by saying that speculating from a single grainy picture on the internet is just dumb... But having said that, I'll do it anyway! ;) Did anybody notice the bottom two bolts look sheared but the top two holes look like they were not bolted down at the time of the crash? The upper left (in the pic) bolt hole and grounding strap look pristine...

See the first line of this post... but I'm already wondering if some maintenance guy skipped two bolts. (not that it matters in the end)

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Seems just a little incredible that they found both units, in the middle of the Atlantic, thousands of feet down, just laying out in the open not covered by or attached to anything else.

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#139 Tcar, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    The challenge will be to see if there is any recoverable data left on there after sitting at X thousand feet down for that long...

I read that those conditions exceeded, by a huge factor, their design requirements. The pressure diff is enormous.

Sounds like it will be at least a couple weeks before a possible Voila' moment... shoot, may be at least that long until they even get to Francais.

14. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The wreckage seems to be confined to a relatively small area, witness the ability to find these relatively small parts that they were looking for pretty quickly. Also Airbus has said, based on the injuries to the passengers, that the aircraft came down in a relatively flat attitude. This is also corroborated by the high vertical g's required to damage some of the hardware the way it was damaged. Also the wreckage was found almost right below where it was last reported to be based on the automatic reporting system. Finally the wreckage wasn't "chewed up" as might be if it had a high speed impact going down nose first. If you look at the damage to TWA-800, it was pretty much shattered into small pieces from the high speed impact. This aircraft has good sized areas that are intact, but saw high vertical accelerations. Airbus has said all along that this thing pancaked in, and that appears to be true.

Question is, could this thing have encountered a "deep stall" event and pretty much gone in flat on its belly? Classic deep stall occurs when the elevators are blanked by the wings and commonly attributed to T tail aircraft, but under certain cg and elevator trim settings can occur in more conventional aircraft. Could the loss of airspeed indication have resulted in a high altitude stall that they were unable to recover from? All of this is speculation, but that's one scenario that I'm thinking could have happened. Once you are stalled and falling, you won't have power because the engine inlets will separate and the engines will probably surge, so you couldn't power your way out of it.

Hopefully we will get some answers from the data recorders

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    So the aircraft might have been in a flat spin right down to the water?

16. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #142 solofast, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    It may not have spun, it just could have stalled and mushed all the way to the water. OTOH it could have fallen off and spun. Don't know. Supposedly deep stall is a pretty stable situation. It doesn't necessarily fall off into a spin like a normal stall. With swept wings deep stall tends to be more stable than with straight wings. Maybe somebody more involved with stability and control can chime in.

In the New York Airbus crash (the one that was percipitated by the tail falling off), the aircraft spun pretty violently. In that case the spin was violent enough to cause (one or both I don't recall) engines to come off the aircraft, and at least one engine was found a good distance from the main crash site. In this case the engines are in the wreckage, so if it spun maybe it wasn't violent.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In the case of the BOAC 707 that was destroyed by a mountain wave near Mount Fuji, a tornadic-strength side gust caused the vertical tail to fail sideways, and it took out one of the horizontals. The aircraft flipped over forwards so violently that all four engines were wrenched loose. It lost forward speed rapidly and fell to earth in an inverted flat spin, losing parts as it went. Amazingly there was no fire after impact.

18. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #146 Spasso, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    From the dispersal of the debris (or the lack of dispersal) seen on the ocean bottom it appears to me that the impact with the water is what dismembered the aircraft. If it had come apart in flight, the debris would have been distributed over miles instead of aprox. 900 feet. The damage to the structures shown is severe and evidence of a hard impact. I don't see how a swept wing aircraft could flat spin even without a vertical stabilizer except in a deep stabile stall.

21. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    In the NYT article, the pitot tubes are said to be the most likely root cause of the crash. The particular type of tube used on this aircraft was known to have icing problems and was in fact slated for replacement. If the pitot tubes clog, incorrect (lower than actual) airspeed is indicated to the autopilot, which then applies power to compensate. This results in a higher than optimum airspeed which moves the center of lift rearward on the wing, resulting in a nosedown attitude, further increasing speed. By the time the flight crew realized that there was a problem, the aircraft would have been descending at a high rate of speed and would have been very difficult to control. Autopsies and analysis of items recovered from the surface indicate very high G compression forces as would have resulted from slamming belly first onto the surface of the water.

I am not a pilot, so those of you who are more knowledgeable about these things can say whether this scenario has validity.

22. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    That has been the prevailing theory behind the crash for some time now, as I recall. I think the only way to prove or disprove it and establish what really happened may be from the CVR analysis. Or, maybe only when the CVR and FDR are over-lapped and analyzed. But, I'm sure the professionals will report back soon.

CW

23. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    #150 aventino, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
    The 707 design was weak and had cracking around the areas that support the horizontal stab according to the NTSB who found 4 more aircraft with cracks in the horizontal Stab mountings. Boeing redesigned the area though the NTSB thought it wouldn't have made much difference to the Mt Fuji accident.

Solofast, I thought the F/O broke the tail off the A300 in New York?