MS Predictions? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

MS Predictions?

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, May 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #201 tifosi12, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    Yesss.

And yesss.

I said all along that MS' comeback would not work, simply because he is too old. I would have said the same thing about any other driver (and will say the same thing if e.g. Alonso will try a comeback at that age). And just for the record: I also said, that if anybody had a chance, then it was MS, but I doubted that even he could pull it off.

40 is the cut off age for the modern F1. And looking at the young ages of the new stars (Hami, Vettel) that might even be conservative. Maybe the real glass ceiling is even lower.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    No one would begrudge Schumacher scoring a podium. Everyone
    would love to see it happen. However, the longer this exercise
    goes on and the results are lacking, the louder the voices
    will become for our once great World Champion to step
    aside and let a young talent move up.

Use of the media cuts both ways. Motorsport media
    bought into Schumacher's return and even on down to
    daily rags which normally would only report F-1 if
    a driver gets killed.

The German media (in partcular) were very excited about
    Schumacher's return but that was before the emergence
    of their new Wunderkind.

BHW

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Some very good drivers have lost their edge just switching teams.

4. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #204 Whisky, May 18, 2011
    Nobody can be pronounced as 'BACK' if they get a win, or even two wins.
    You are pronounced as 'BACK' when you win a couple of races, but moreover, are consistently battling in the top 3 or 4 at every venue, because in the case of MS, being consistently in the battle for the top-10 just doesn't cut it, and neither will the top 6.
    Fair or not, that is how he is judged.
    Now, if he was NOT a 7-time WDC, he would be judged differently, but it is what it is, his fault or not.

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If everyone is so willing to accept that he's lost the edge and isn't the same driver he was 10 years ago...then why not leave him alone? There are plenty of drivers over the years whose whole career didn't have a podium. plenty of number 2 drivers who were routinely out driven by their team mate...that's even happening this year. I still just don't see the problem with MS out there. How could his input be anything other than valuable and clearly he's not slow...maybe he's just over cautious. I don't know....all I know is it's ridiculous that people are making such a fuss. I've said before, he's not the worst driver out there.....and that at 42 and after 3 years out of the cockpit is miracle enough.

6. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Because he IS Michael.
    Because of the way his return was hyped.

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It was exciting, but I was over it after the first couple of races.
    I still hope he does well...hell I hope they ALL do well, but if he stays a mid fielder in F1, well, there are worse things in life.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #208 tifosi12, May 18, 2011
    True. As was Vizsla. But there were still plenty of others claiming that he would win it all once he had HIS car and not Buttons etc etc
    After he set fastest time at testing in Barca (where I believed Benoit that this was a lap on fumes no matter what the fans said) there were folks proclaiming his 8th title. That is just unrealistic.

I'm a huge Alonso fan but I don't think he will win the WDC this year. To claim so is just not realistic either. Nor is it necessary.

9. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Nearly impossible to come back to the pinnacle of a sport and expect to compete at the top. Same with tennis

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    well, he is competing....but I wouldn't say he's at his top.

11. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Disagree Pete, was following Thackwell when Mercedes had this "Only German Drivers in German Cars" policy and kicked out everyone who wasn't born in the country. MS wasn't the quickest by any stretch of the imagination.

It is sad that Rosberg is doing so well. Otherwise this could be a "That car is junk, after all no-one could drive it quicker than MS" thread. Hard when you have a competitive team mate, a legal car, with legal launch control, and legal refuelling rig.

The emperor has no clothes.

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ya gotta be kidding.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Never said he was the quickest, just that he was quick, and learnt from Mass.

MS was not the quickest in all the lower formulas, but he learnt the most and adapted best.
    Pete

14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    7 WDC trophies beg to differ.

15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    His Highness used to have great clothes ;)

16. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that if Vettel was drving the Merc, would he be winning and if MS was driving the RB, would he be winning?

I know his team mate has been faster at times but still no where close to being a regular podium contender.

Personally i just cant say much bad things cause it seems the merc is no where close to being a good car. The other younger regular younger drivers dont seem to be doing so much better than schumi.

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    No.

Yes.

+1

He's not (IMHO ;)) "disgracing himself" or "tarnishing his legacy" - He's out driving kids half his age in a "questionable" car.

The problem is that damn Nico kid! :)

Cheers,
    Ian

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    IMO the better question is if in each others cars would they be outperforming the other's record in that car.

19. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Unfortunately, we'll never know........ :(

Is Seb faster than Nico? Faster than the Master?

Unanswerable IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

20. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    At times? How about all the time? :). Today was the first time he finished ahead of Nico in a looooooong time, and only because his aggressive blocking. In other words, he was holding Nico back, meaning Nico was faster than him, even if he finished behind.

MS is NOT at Vettel's level; not even close. In fact, he NEVER was at Vettel's current level IMO. And he's not up to Lewis or Alonso's level either. And he's clearly not even at his own teammate level, since they drive THE SAME CAR.

As far as the hypothetical question, the clear answer is NO in both cases, but Vettel would bring the difference way closer than what it is now. MS is done. He's history. And it's not bashing; just common physiological sense. Good day gang.

21. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    This is..... Off to say the least. Schu's car was broken at every race until Turkey and at Turley he was every bit as quick only his mistake at turn 12 with Petrov destroyed his entire race. Schu still had quicker sector times than Nico.

At today's race you will notice Schu was holding onto his tires and minding them the entire race. He did not push snd take daring lines or crazy brake points. Any time Nico was close, Schu turned up the heat and made a gap. Schu blocked Nico's attempt to pass ONCE. Repeat, once.

It's not possible to turn back the clock and see if young michael is better than young vettel, but one thing is for sure and that is there have been many double world champions and a couple triple champions who all looked magnificent in their cars for that year etc. People said the same about Alonso as they are currently saying about Vettel. No one has ever gone and sone it 7 times though. Never. This is what sets Michael apart.

22. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    To listen to the anti-MS crowd on here, you would think he was getting roasted the way Lewis roasted Heikki or the way Alonso roasts Massa.

But the facts are that there have been 5 races thus far. One, both Mercedes' DNF'ed. Of the remaining 4, Schumi beat Rosberg twice, and Rosberg beat Schumi twice.

23. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    This thread is as useless as Ferrari's design department.....