Daytona Radiator Re Core and Removal | FerrariChat

Daytona Radiator Re Core and Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by steve meltzer, May 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Well, I took the plunge and bought Daytona #14599 (USA model) from Fantasy Jxn. The car needs a radiator core and now sits at Patrick Ottis's shop awaiting my decision. Apparently a new core is about $1100, with labor $2K when all's said and done. He said the AC must be evacuated to do the job.

Does anyone have any experience in the R&R here? I have great help to do this, so I think we can do it and take the radiator to a good shop for the core here in Houston. Or, is getting a good core really hard to do and I just let him do it? What would be the best source for this?I'd replace the T-stat and hoses at the same time. Any thoughts? (We did a radiator R&R on my 330 GTC and it was a %$^%%^) thanx again. s

2. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Is the core an "original" iron based core?
    It is "boil out" proof, amd weighs a ton...FWIW..

Honestly, if radiator comes out, you are nuts NOT to have coolant pump and housing pulled and redone along with all hoses and clamps on front of engine and check ones at rear...
    oiul lines are an issue desrerving at minimumun a close inspection...
    An "l-core" is at least 1000.00, plus painting, etc, plating of stuff, etc..
    Honestly, its my opinion you are best to have him just do the job-the qualituy of work is not really an issue there..are you just trying to save some money?
    Since you probably lack the experience to realistically evaluate the true condition of the vehicle, and you live all the way in TX, does it not seem prudent to have an marque and model expert give it the once over...
    there is and old expression: "it is crazy to to step over a "C" note, to pick up a "fin"...
    FWIW...

3. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx for the advice. I'd be doing it to save money + the challenge of doing it myself. (Not that I don't have enough to do.) thanx s

4. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Be careful that the core is the exact same dimensions ! I have seen problems with hood clearances.

5. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    for a variety of reasons, i've decided to let Ottis do it. thanx. s

6. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    If you have not met Patrick Ottis you should. He is very easy going, knows the cars exceptionally well and his work is impeccable. You will be very happy with his work.
    Winston, Nigel, and Don , in our 456

7. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Yes, I did have the pleasure of meeting him, a real mensch! Seeing his shop was so cool; a real lagniappe. s