Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799 | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SonomaRik, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Insert "Not this sh*t again* .gif here.

I think they will find it VERY hard to PROVE "who knew what, and when".....although they might have him, on the 'plate swapping' charges, if there's pictures.

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Plate switching at car shows? I'm agast ;)

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Nope. The whole "article" reads as a press release from the *civil* attorney of the client being sued for defaming Hallingby.

So Hallingby didn't register a track/specialty car for current road-going license plates. That's not a crime, and moreover that has no bearing on the client who defamed Hallingby by claiming that he had purchased a stolen car.

The one cool tidbit in that press release was that the detective was finally named: Richard Van Tine.

No doubt Hallingby is considering his options there.

Anyway, that "new" article was written by someone who doesn't understand (or doesn't want the reading audience to understand) the difference between criminal and civil trials.

There is no criminal investigation of Hallingby...that matter was dropped. There is only Hallingby suing 2 publications in *civil* trials for defaming him.

That's the court case being referenced, poorly, in that "new" article. A civil trial. Initiated by Hallingby!

Oy vey...

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It actually slanders him again, IMO "implying" the State had a case but you know "money was tight" so they let it slide...

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto.

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto.

8. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Why is this news. Lawsuits like this happen every day...that's why firms carry insurance. Leave poor Barney alone.

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #659 Ashman, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
    +0799

Must have been an extremely slow day for society gossip at the NY Daily News to basically paraphrase a press release from the attorney.

That's why people who want relevant real society gossip turn to the NY Post!

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Very True.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Has a trial date been set?

Dale

12. Cavallino-Rampante

Aug 3, 2005
    Elizabeth, NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    This case is currently in the discovery phase. If the matter goes to trial, don't expect anything to happen before November/December.

Gerald Roush and John Barnes have tried unsuccessfully to have the case dismissed. They are now using the media to further embarrass Barney Hallingby.

Barney has his Ferrari 250 GT back. Had the Ferrari been stolen, it would be in Switzerland right now. The FML and Cavallino have damaged his good name and reputation. Barney is entitled to compensation from Roush and Barnes, as well as a retraction.

I have a feeling that once Roush and Barnes finally realize that they are fighting a losing battle, a retraction and undisclosed settlement will be in order…. and everyone will be friends again.

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Must be tough to fight a battle when you're no longeer alive or am I missing something?

14. Cavallino-Rampante

Aug 3, 2005
    Elizabeth, NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Roush refers to his estate and FML. And they are fighting a losing battle.

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok thanks, to be honest this deal has so many twists and turns I've had a hard time keeping up.

16. Cavallino-Rampante

Aug 3, 2005
    Elizabeth, NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    At the end of the day, the only winners in the case will be the lawyers.

17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Isn't that a typical situation?

Jeff

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Some people are their own punishment but even I don't enjoy watching people walking into a chainsaw...

19. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Just thinking that by the time this is all done the attorneys will all be buying their new Ferraris based upon their billables; win or lose. If someone is real adept at racking up their hours then maybe they will be looking at a vintage Ferrari instead.

Jeff

20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    There is more at stake than money, lawyers, and reputations. Remember that someone caused a car to be confiscated by police. In my opinion, there was a crime committed against Hallingby.

So criminal, not just civil, issues are in play.

21. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    When ego's get in the way..........

22. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    So if, for example, FML is forced to cease publication because they cant afford to defend themselves, how does the rest of the Ferrari community benefit from this in the long run?

The assumption I'm making here is that there is a reasonable chance of the defendant being found not guilty, based on what I understand.

23. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The Ferrari community wins and loses, sadly. The "win" is that others are less likely to run with unvetted or erroneous information in public, the loss is that respected sources close. If there is a market for such sources, however, someone else will step up to the plate.

Another way to look at it is that "benefitting the Ferrari community" does not provide a publisher with blanket immunity from slander.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Exacto.

If Barney winds up owing both FML and Cavalinno I'm sure he'll do a good job running them properly and not publishing things that show a reckless disregard for the truth and defame someone as IMO the advertisement they both published clearly did.

25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno, Jim. I hope there is more to this story than what has been posted here or said in SCM. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see any actionable damage. If I were the judge, I'd tell both parties to mediate a settlement because, if they don't, they are not going to like my decision.

Dale