CA smog alert IMPORTANT | FerrariChat

CA smog alert IMPORTANT

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Hey even if you have a new car, some day you may hanker for a classic, please write your congressperson. This is bull**** and needs to be niped in the bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT
    Legislation to Repeal Old Car Emissions Exemption Reintroduced
    in California State Assembly

Here we go again! As predicted, legislation has been reintroduced in the California Assembly to repeal the state's current rolling emissions test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older. A.B. 2683 repeals the current pro-hobbyist exemption and replaces it with a provision requiring the permanent testing of all pre-1976 vehicles. This year, the bill was introduced by California State Assemblywoman Sally Lieber (D-District 22).
    We Urge You to Contact Assemblywoman Lieber and Your Own State Assembly Member Immediately to Oppose A.B. 2683

* Existing law in California exempts all vehicles 30-years old and older from emissions testing.
    * California's current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.
    * Vehicles 30-years old and older constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.
    * Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (about one-third the miles each year as a new vehicle).
    * Legislators and regulators are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes!

Contact your State Assembly Member to oppose A.B. 2683. Assemblywoman Lieber can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] To find out who your own State Assembly Member is, contact the California Assembly's general information line at 916/445-4311. This information can also be accessed via the Internet at http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legisl..._legislator.asp or by calling the SEMA Washington, DC office at 202-783-6007, ext. 38. Please e-mail a copy of your letters to us at [email protected] or fax to 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office

1317 F St., NW, Ste. 500

Washington, D.C. 20004

Attn: Steve McDonald

Dear Senator McClintock,
    I am writing this letter to urge you to NOT SUPPORT Senate Bill AB #2683. As a lifelong auto enthusiast and citizen concerned with the environment I feel that clean air and classic sports cars can coexist in our state.
    My wife and I are the owners of a classic car which is extremely well maintained, yet every two years we find it is harder to have it pass the smog tests. We are among a large group in the state who own these classic cars as a serious pastime. These cars are not used for daily transportation and are driven on average less than 1000 miles per year. Well maintained classic cars are not the cause of our statewide air pollution problem and banning them or being unable to register them legally is not the solution to our smog problem.
    Some of these cars have problems because in the early to mid seventies some cars barely met the regulations due to the fact that the technology of cleaner burning engines was just in its infancy. To get these cars into the country the manufacturers just slapped on all sorts of quick fix band-aids that did not really work but met the legal requirements of the law. Since there was very little enforcement of emissions early on, this really didn't matter. When the enforcement was stepped up, it was not uncommon for owners to just pay to get a certificate. This forced people to either break the law or lose their vehicle. Which was wrong either way!
    The solution to our air pollution is ridesharing, improved mass transit, mpg laws on SUV's and enforcement of the smog laws that apply to daily transportation vehicles. I feel that Senate Bill #AB 2683 is just another burden on classic car owners that would not improve the states quality of air.
    I guess the bottom line is that there are a lot of car collectors and car enthusiasts in California who want clean air but feel that they are being unfairly penalized by laws that are well intended but sometimes either misguided or misapplied. Lets face it, we live in a car culture and many of these classic cars are part of our California heritage . They give us a glimpse of history and connect us to the past. In a way, they are like rolling museums or moving pieces of art. All of the car shows we attend give the proceeds to charity and I cant help but feel that we are all enriched by the people who spend countless hours and thousands of dollars to restore and maintain these classic cars for the enjoyment of all. The fact that diesel big rigs, motorcycles, boats and airplanes are not checked only adds to the hypocrisy of the smog check system in our state.
    I hope that you vote against this bill or any similar measure that would restrict our ability to continue to collect and drive these rare and historic vehicles. I am a member of the Ferrari Club of America, and I am trying to organize our members to contact their representatives to let them know how we feel about this issue, which is of extreme importance to us.
    Sincerely,
    Robert W. Garven Jr. / Ventura, California

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    best wishes to all of you in the peoples republic of KALIFORNIA , glad i left there!

3. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Good Luck, Robert. I "broke my pick" on this issue back in 1996 when they published CO limits of 240ppm for my 1975 308/GT4. The problem - the engine sticker, owner's manual and shop manual stated 300ppm was what the engine was designed to produce. We went around and around, and I had the engineer convinced to grant an exemption, when the non-technical emissions Nazis got involved. They denied the exemption on the basis of there were 43 1975 308/GT4s registered in California, and 40 of them had passed the smog tests and the other three were gross polluters. What they failed to recognize was that 40 owners had convinced somebody to back a Honda Civic into the probe when they were "testing" their GT4s. As you know, within 2 years I had moved to rural Nevada where we have no smog testing.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    What they need to do is get rid of diesel fuel. Diesel engines are the dirtiest on the planet. I'm sure you have been sitting behind a bus, semi, or even a pickup truck that run on diesel? They are the worst. As soon as they accelerate there is a huge cloud of black smoke that comes out. They have to clean up diesel fuel in order to improve the air quality. Let see them put a vehical that runs on diesel on a smog test machine. I bet it the machine gets ruined with just one try. That is what they need to clean up.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Aftre reading the law last night it is going to exempt 76 and earlier cars, even though mine is going to be OK (for now) I am still urging all in car guys and gals inCA to call and write their representatives. As for the rest of the country you are next, if they are going to regulate who gets married.........

Mike my car passsed really I was there when the guy ground all my gears!! AGHHHH!