Marriage Longevity: Collectors vs latest and greatest | FerrariChat

Marriage Longevity: Collectors vs latest and greatest

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vrsurgeon, Jun 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    OK Guys I wanted to get your take on this...

I was chatting with my wife last night about types of men and their "exchange rate" of women comparing men who have a collection of cars versus men who trade their cars for the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out..

specifically relating this to women. :) I was arguing that every guy I know who has a collection of cars, or who has a car they have never sold from their youth, has been married for a very long time to his wife.

Guys that I have known that have the latest and greatest car, it has been my observation that the ladies in their lives are traded in for a new model with the same frequency. I contended that guys who collect cars and keep them for years have that same psychology with their women.. My wife of course refuted this saying that "that doesn't happen.."

What do you guys think? Do guys that collect cars tend to have longer marriages....?

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I tend to keep my cars a long time and I like the idea of forming a bond with them.

As for women, I haven't found a good restoration project with decent history yet. :)

Onno

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I have a car that's been around a lot longer than either one of the wives.

So . . . there's that.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #4 Napolis, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Seems simple enough: when you have the most beautiful cars and wife, why would you trade?

Congrats to you and Meg: may you enjoy many more happy years :)

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks!

7. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh

Congratulations!

In today's environment, wonderful to hear of someone that has that amount of commitment and appreciation to hold on to relationships (both of the women in their lives and possessions that they appreciate and take care of).

Frank

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I don't think there is much of a correlation. One thing however, if a gal does not like a guy's passion for cars, in most cases that will decrease marriage longevity.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They're only original once.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I could see a correlation based on the idea that someone who bonds with collectibles might also bond with people in their lives the same way. Don't let objects go, don't let people go.

Might be a narrower demographic though - I would say this would apply more to guys who collect for personal connections to a vehicle rather than collecting for status.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Just one comment -- a car can't decide to leave on its own, and women aren't possessions.

I feel there's no correlation between the scenarios at all.

12. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    I totally agree with this assessment and believe that the same mentality is involved with both...a commitment to long term relationships and caring for what you have through thick and thin, rather than just throwing in the towel when things get tough (there will always be rough spots from time to time) as well as taking care of what you have even when there is cost involved... or getting the next shiny new thing when the newness wears off with last year's model...

Many would argue that there is no right or wrong, just as there are apples and oranges... there are as many tastes as there are individuals...

As for me...I had my Corvette and finally sold it 9 years later when it had 188,000 miles on it...drove it daily, did the work on it myself, kept it pristine and regretted ever selling it...I've never done that since...buy what you truly want and take care of it...

Just my humble opinion...

Frank

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #13 ryalex, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    My point isn't based on ownership, but on developing an emotional connection to the person or object. Some people don't bond well and many are selfish, or even narcissists.

I still daydream about having my first car back, an old junker Mercedes, because of the great memories in college with the car.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #14 vrsurgeon, Jun 8, 2011
    Jim, Congratulations! (BTW, the yellow spaceship is waaay cool... )

I know a guy who owns the first car he and his wife ever bought new and they're going to have their 35th anniversary this year. And the guy I sold my 1st car to had a 356 in his back yard that he and his wife took on their honeymoon.
    I know I tend to form a bond with my cars and yes I do talk to them.. my 928 is my 4th car I've ever owned, and my wife made me "get rid of" my 3rd because the transmission blew and we had no room. I don't know if I have that "connection" with my Boxster though..

Oddly you say that about your mercedes Ryan, I found myself trawling ebay for 924's, brings back the special feelings of carefree drives in the country..

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's good food for thought.

15. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Interesting hypothesis, and i would think it has a certain amount of merit, but there are so many variables I don't think a direct correlation can be made.

16. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    #16 Steelton Keith, Jun 8, 2011
    CONGRATULATIONS JIM !
    My wife Janet and I also celebrating our 40th anniversary this September, on the 18th. Throughout my life I have bought and held on to cars. My 240Z (VIN #1288) I kept until the body could not be welded or fiberglassed any more. I put 177,000 on a toyota and kept it 20 years. Expect my wife's newish M-B to stay with us 10+ years and I can't imagine selling my 328. My dog's car is a 97 Camry bought new and now has 105,000 and will be driven until the wheels fall off and burn.

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I still have the first car I ever bought. Almost 200k miles and needing work, but I love it just the same. Only married once - December makes 9 years for us.

PDG

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've been married 16 years. I just agreed to sell my 911 (to my brother, from whom I bought it 20 years ago), so I can't quite match Jim's record... I still have my 365GT, from 17 years ago, though!

19. dantealdente

dantealdente Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    one must factor in the possibility that the financial ramifications of a divorce might have a significant effect on one's ability to retain a car collection.

20. D-360Ag

D-360Ag Rookie

May 30, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Too many variables.

And I really like the little yellow space ship, too! (so I'm ignorant: what is it?)

I think the guys referred to as "playa's" might be in that many cars/women category, but I know too many guys with extensive car ownership histories that are still married to #1. One in particular 6 years ago could count 108 vehicles...

For myself, 2 marriages for a combined 34 yrs (1st: we were too young, her maturity issues), and I still have 2 of the only 4 vehicles I've ever owned. An '87 4x4, now extensively modified, and this years addition, the '04 360 Spider which will probably be with me for an equally long time.

I tend to choose carefully and do what I can to make it work, but that still can't make the impossible possible. And as has been noted above, "women aren't possessions", at least to most of us!

21. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I don't think they have anything in common. People tend to place sentimental value on objects more so than people IMO.

Relationships evoke love and/or fear. All emotions stem from those two and they can change as people change. Objects don't change, only the way YOU feel about them. Another person can change.

22. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

This is a very interesting and fun topic. And it seems from the posts so far their might be something in it..

But what about the collectors who not only have "collector" cars that they keep, but also often buy the new stuff, and if they fall in-love with them, they to become apart of the collection to? Do men in this category have a long relationship with their wife's, but a mistress or two on the side?

Or how about in cultures, like in the middle east, where men can have a collection of cars, and a collection of wife's :)

23. rb-dino

rb-dino Rookie

Feb 28, 2011
    Another fun thread, this one on automotive psychology.

It is interesting how few of you mentioned a wife in your responses. I think we need some data to decide whether the hypothesis is reasonable. I can't beat Jim, and I have sold and bought a car or two over the years.

For the recored, my longest time owning a car (and still in my possession) is 41 years and I have been married for 21 years (another point for the hypothesis - long time collector, long time marriage).

Robert

24. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #24 PhilNotHill, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017