Some folks just don't belong on airplanes | FerrariChat

Some folks just don't belong on airplanes

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ney, Jun 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #1 Ney, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They should hold them liable for all that fuel, 10,000 gallons of avgas on a trans Atlantic flight!!!

3. PassTheSpanner

PassTheSpanner Karting

Nov 2, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don't you think that is obsessive and that the flight attendants could have assessed the situation. There must be more to the story.

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I flew to Switzerland recently and the guy behind me got really pissed when I reclined my seat. Of course, the guy in front of me reclined his seat too.

The guy behind me was making a scene trying to make me raise it back up. I ignored him but wanted to punch his lights out. I guess he's never been on an airplane before.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm forever amused at the lack of customer concern when it comes to airline seating. Working on various airliner seating arrangements we made certain that there was adequate leg room,etc. Turning the airplane over to the airlines negated everything we did not only in spatial considerations but in the weight reductions. Thousands of pounds were added for entertainment systems and the seats were jammed together to increase pax payload. Flying in the 60's was a treat with nice meals, pretty young ladies, and comfortable seats. The downer, though, was everybody smoking then. The damage to sensitive elex components and and interior panels from the tars in the smoke was amazing. The cabin pressure outflow valves were fouled with a brown goop after a while and any new lighter colored window panels didn't match the rest of the airplane that had darkened from the smoke.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Next time you're in the coach cabin of any jetliner, take a look at the legroom at the overwing emergency exit rows. In the '60s, all rows in coach had that seating! On Boeing jets, there were a full two windows between rows; now it's more like 1-1/2.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#7 Tcar, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

Maybe 'EXCESSIVE' is the word????

Maybe excessive; I'm guessing that they were required to turn around by FAA TSA regs. Wonder if an arrest was made...

Plus, pax may have been citizens of other countries... to Ghana...???

I agree, when someone reclines fully, it's invites a hair follicle inspection from behind... lice to blame, maybe?

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, but inflation adjusted, the average ticket was more expensive than a similar class seat today (coach vs. coach, 1st vs. 1st, etc). I'm glad they pack more people in to bring the costs down...first class is still an option on some carriers. I just sit in emergency exit rows if possible.

I'm sure I'd complain more if I wasn't 5'10" (the world was built for people like me :)). My former co-worker that was 6'6" HATED flying on planes.

9. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I thinking it is inappropriate for anyone in coach to ever recline their seat unless the one behind them is unoccupied.

GT

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I usually sit near the overwing exit rows, if not in them, so I'm often in rows with seatbacks that don't recline.

But I rarely recline anyway, even if the seat will do it. I find the seats more comfortable with the seatback upright, and I have no trouble napping if I'm sleepy enough. (On the whole, though, I do not sleep well on any moving vehicle unless I can lay flat on my side, as in a train compartment.)

And most of the flights I take are short enough -- 2 hours in the air or less -- that the relative lack of legroom on modern jetliners is not bothersome. On longer flights I do make an effort to get an exit row, but I've flown all the way to London in coach without any great discomfort. (Of course, it does help to get up and walk around once in awhile.)

(It does depend on the neighboring passengers, sometimes. Some years ago, I was flying to Montreal with a friend to attend the Canadian GP. We were sitting in consecutive rows in an MD-80, and both of our seatmates were football players going up there to try out with the Alouettes. My seatmate was a wide receiver, which is not too bad, but his seatmate was a big defensive lineman! I could tell that he had a rather uncomfortable flight.....)

11. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    OK, well, airplanes don't fly with empty seats anymore.

12. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Or fly B6 :)

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I agree that we're getting a little absurd. I'll wager that there were air marshalls on this flight, too. So, between the AMs and the FAs, I'd think they could have handled this in a less draconian manner. We've gone beyond reason and logic, though. We're now in a rote and unthinking mode. If it cannot be resolved, move one of them elsewhere.

That said, if you pay your fare, and the seat reclines, you have the right to recline it. PERIOD. Sorry, but the guy behind you has to put up with it.

About 17 years ago, I was returning in business class from Pakistan. It was a LONG trip with layovers in Dubai and Amsterdam. From beginning to end, I think transit was something like 40 hours, maybe? Anyway, I board the flight in Amsterdam and recline my business class seat and the lady behind me starts pushing the seat up. I was trying to sleep and was so weary and fatigued that I was just about ready to throw her sorry self out the window. I called a FA and had her read the lady the riot act. That quieted her down, and she and her traveling companion switched seats, anyway. So, no problem. Funny thing is that she ended up sitting in front of my friend who made a fuss when she tried to recline her seat. Karma's a biotch.

CW

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The whole airline business needs a revamp.

It is probably the worst paying experience i can think of.

15. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sad but true. Dumping fuel and fighter jets over this? Come on.

+1. I completely dread the entire experience of flying and avoid it if at all possible.

I have been on hundreds of flights and I have never reclined the seat if someone is behind me. Simple consideration for the people around you seems to be a lost concept.

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I just flew first class from the US to Paris and back from London. It was a reasonably good experience (not as good as the Concorde, but still alright), if expensive. Round trip first class tickets are now $13K+/-.

CW

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I did business class to/from Amsterdam a week ago, not great, but tolerable. I'm actually debating taking the trip by water the next time my schedule allows for it, even an inside cabin at $700 one way sounds good...

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    My parents were on the inaugural voyage of the QM2. They were in Queen's class in one of the few front staterooms. Can't recall how much but it was BIG. Anyway, their comment was that it was very nice, but they thought the QM2 is too large (in comparison to the smaller QE2 and other ships they've cruised on), and Cunard had lost its "intimacy". Although, their adjacent table mates at meals was a British Lord and his two sons. They dined in formal attire each evening. That's something you don't come across every day. I suppose the economics dictate the change in the size of the vessel, but that's unfortunate. Wonderful way to go, though, if time's not a huge consideration.

CW

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    When our son is a bit older, I can see doing the journey this way when Spicy wants to also come along. I don't mind wearing a suit on a plane, but I don't want to sleep in it on overnight flights. I'll be casual on the flight to Jo'berg next weekend...