360 vs challenge stradale | FerrariChat

360 vs challenge stradale

Discussion in '360/430' started by mdwfa2001, Jun 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    #1 mdwfa2001, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    Does anyone here have direct exp here with both a regular 360 vs a challenge stradale? Is it worth 30-4oK more to upgrade to a stradale? I am only considering the stradale at this point because i think 360 has the best exterior design. Just wanted to get some feedback form someone who has driven both. ...is the stradale better then the 430? I hae driven the 430 and didn't recognize a huge diff between my car and the 430. I understand stradale is more raw, but is it that much more noticable in terms of power and acceleration. Please give me some details. Thanks.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

yes.

I own a 360, took along drive in a Stradale some time ago.

totally different car. IF you want luxury and speed, stick to the 360. IF you want a more direct experience, and a car that will hold its value better, get the CS.

But they are really quite different in terms of feel, ride, etc. So, I'd get some serious drive time with the CS before committing.

I loved the CS, almost pulled the trigger, and now sometimes wish that I had, although my 360 has a stick shift tranny, and I don't love the paddles in the CS.

D

3. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I love a new topic.

4. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    C/S is raw and rare..The old saying of apples to oranges.

I cannot compair the 2 they are so different. I do not feel a 430 even comes close to feel and overall experience of C/S. Would be interested to hear others take on this.

5. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    No comparison, a much better ferrari experience.

6. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Maybe this video might help you make a decision:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKKJdRSI-R8[/ame]

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I hated my 360 Spider

I love my Challenge Stradale

8. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    #8 stokpro, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Both are very different and really depends on what you like. Doesn't matter if CS is 'better' if you don't like it. I happen to LOVE the CS... all day long, into the evening. Maybe this photo will help...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    If this is the only reason you're considering it, then you should buy it :) ... sounds like your mind is made up.

The F430 has more horsepower than a Stradale but what's different is the torque, the F430 has more grunt down low while you have to wind out the Stradale a bit more.

I drove all three (360, F430 and a CS) and bought a CS in the end. It fit the bill for what I wanted ... and I continue to be impressed by it even if it's two generations behind now.

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the cs is an unusually fantastic car. the 360 regular is one of 16000 other nice cars. the 430 is also one of 16000 nice cars. there is no comparison, provided that you can deal with the harshness.

if you are looking for a dd, or a luxury sports car to cruise the boulevard or take the wife out to dinner, then dont get the cs.

if you are looking for the cheapest automotive nirvana, then get the cs.

11. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    nizam...i am saying that i want something faster then my 360 spyder but i am only considering the 360 body vs the 430 458 or scuderia.

My concern is that since it is 2 generations behind..can it keep up with the newer 430 and then 458. I love the way my 360 looks but i want some more power, but with the same body design. Yes, I like the rawness, and my current car feels very raw too..much more then my friends stock 360. However I would like more power, and esp faster gear changes with the F1....So, I really want to know if the car is much faster then the 360, and the 430 for that matter. I know only a few were made...I am buying to drive it not to maintain its value. but for a 130-140K sticker price is it better to buy the 430? Or is it faster then the 430? I like the looks of the 360 much better, but if the 430 is that much better in terms of performance, I guess i can't neglect that either.

12. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Can you explain why you hated the Spider?

13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    "Unless you have petrol coarsing through your veins, the standard 360 will proabably suit you just fine." +1

14. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    phil i've had the 360 spyder for over a yr...it seems too slow compared to whats out there now. Esp when i go on runs with my fellow buddies. My main complaint is the lag in the gear shifting. I heard its much faster with the cs. I also wanted to know if thats what makes the cs so much better or is there something more then that. I drove the 430 and realize the shifts are better but its not enough to convince me to drop my beautiful 360 to change after just a little over a year.

15. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    if i could find a black stradale thats in good condition it might convince me.

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I can tell you that the 360 and CS can't begin to keep up with a 458 and honestly probably can't keep up with a 430. That doesn't mean that they are very fun to drive just not as fast.

You say you have driven a 430 and a 360 but the 430 wasn't much faster. I hate to sound this way but I call BS on this. I have driven both and I can tell you that the 430 is MUCH faster than a 360. That extra 100 hp makes a huge difference and the shifting is dramatically improved too. The handling of the cars is very different too. The CS is a more raw driving experience than the 430 and the 360 is a little twitchy by comparison.

17. dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2009
    #17 dfwerdoc, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    - Hated the soft top
    - Hated the Daytona Seats (pushed me up and forward when I sat in them - nice looking though)
    - Hated the all aluminum interior trim pieces
    - Hated the stock wheels

Overall the car (2001 Spider) was uncomfortable, slow/sluggish, sounded bad, and had an ugly interior. I added Challenge wheels and a Challenge exhaust in the hopes I could once again experience the fun I had when I race a Ferrari 360 Challenge..but no. The car never ever gave me any kind of thrill. Then the Challenge Stradale came out...the rest is history

19. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
  20. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Styling is a very personal thing.

Unfortunately, Ferrari didn't make a 360 edition with the F430 drivetrain. Will it "keep up" with its successors? The on-paper numbers would indicate no.

However, at least for me, I've found that I could easily keep up with friends of mine with the newer cars on track days.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but it seems that you'll need to buy both :D. Each for some of the reasons you've already written up.

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I know of a couple of great black CS' for sale.

When I was car shopping last year, it was a toss up between a 360 and a Gallardo. I drove both and the Gallardo was miles ahead in performance. So I started looking Hard for a 'G'.

While I was looking I decided to go drive a CS....... DONE! It is by far the best driver's Ferrari since the F40 (I lived with one for almost 5 years). The CS has such a sense of theater. The reactions and feel are immediate. The steering tells you exactly what is going on. Turn in, noise, etc., will keep a grin firmly planted on your face.

If all you are looking for is straight line speed, the spec of all 3 should be the dead give away as to which is faster:

CS 425hp
    430 490(ish)hp
    458 560hp

Having said all that, I have shown the back end of my CS to the newer cars on just about any technical road.

22. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #22 PhilNotHill, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
    Yes, slower. I have enough trouble getting over the speed bumps and drainage dips here. A lower car just not in the cards for me. I drive with it in Sport mode 95% of the time but a rougher ride is not what I am looking for.

To me a sports car is a convertible. The 16m has the same problems for me as a CS.

Tried the Cali and it was not as much fun to drive as my car...and it costs $150k more to boot.

Maybe a 458 spider will melt my butter. I am not in love with the looks.

The 360 is plenty fast for me though and it scares my wife as it is. It does sound like the engine is going to explode at 8 grand. :cool:

23. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
  24. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    +1

25. testdrv321

testdrv321 Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Newman
    add the weights and the conversation becomes a little more interesting...